topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 3:16 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Pet Peeve: I will never buy a rechargeable mouse again for as long as i live  (Read 39850 times)

iphigenie

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I have a love-hate relationship with wireless too. I keep falling for the idea of free movement only to find myself in a world of connection problems and dying batteries before the month is out.

When the computer doesnt move I stick with wired, because I never have a problem with wires getting in the way on the desktop.

When the computer moves, as a laptop, I have gone back to wireless. Cables get always messed up in a bag. And, now that the usb receiver plugs are so small that you can leave them on the port when packing the machine, wireless is less fiddly than wired (it used to be more fiddly as you would lose the receiver in the depths of the case on a periodic basis).
Of course even there the features of the mouse are more important. I need my 5 buttons and I have this wireless mouse because it was the only mini mouse I found that had 5 buttons, not because it is wireless...

I just recently fell in the trap of wireless for a PC which had gotten moved to the living room as we might want to use it from a distance at times. So it has 2 sets, wired on the desk and a wireless keyboard and a wireless trackball in case we ever want to pick music or watch a DVD or something.

Already I am reminded as to why I fell out of love with the wireless stuff, as it seems to lose its connection when the computer goes asleep :S (strangely enough dont have that problem with the wireless mouse on the laptop, i wonder why)

So on average I will be a cable bore except when it really might make sense to not have a cable...

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I can't believe how lucky I've been - two years of trouble-free wireless computing and I use crappy rechargeable batteries that last for at least 8 months on a charge. I've never had a connection problem and am thrilled by the longevity of the batteries. My wireless setup is a MS Standard Wireless Mouse and a Multimedia Keyboard v.1.1 that I got free with the purchase of MS Office 2003 Student and Teacher edition (I wound up springing for the academic version of Pro about two months later - had to have Access).

Lashiec

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
There are some advanced wireless mouses out there. Like this Genius (longest URL ever) that lets you plug the USB cable to recharge the batteries, much like the iPod (Apple developed something really nice there).

I'm very happy with my Logitech LX7, and I would not give up on wireless not even for all money in the world :D. Of course, this one uses AA batteries, so I don't have mouser's problems :P

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
There are some advanced wireless mouses out there. Like this Genius (longest URL ever) that lets you plug the USB cable to recharge the batteries, much like the iPod (Apple developed something really nice there).

I'm very happy with my Logitech LX7, and I would not give up on wireless not even for all money in the world :D. Of course, this one uses AA batteries, so I don't have mouser's problems :P

I like how they specify that the mouse is Vista capable... and who would want a mouse with a dern receiver?
Dern Receiver.png
"That thar dern receiver dun lost mah connection!"

:P
« Last Edit: November 05, 2007, 03:20 PM by Deozaan »

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
... and who would want a mouse with a dern receiver?

"That thar dern receiver dun lost mah connection!"

;D :-*

Laughing Man

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • V for Viktor
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I bought a rechargeable Logitech Wireless MX1000 mouse a couple years ago. I've had problems with the mouse jumping around the screen or not responding to movement. Contacted tech support and they said it the receiver needs to be 1 foot away from electrical equipment. Excuse me? A mouse that needs to be away from electrical devices?

I've had the mouse die on my a few times while in use, but to be honest it hasn't happened in a while because I hardly use the thing. I much prefer my trackball as it requires less desktop space and doesn't hurt my wrist.

If I were to get another wireless mouse in the future, I think I'd go for the rechargeable AA batteries option.

Yeah Logitech mouses are weird. I love my wireless mouse though..being able to use it on my bed in the dorm is nice (no problems charging it since I remember to put it back into its slot when I'm going out). Though I do prefer my laptop's battery operated Logitech VX Revolution. The battery life that thing gets is insane..

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Yeah Logitech mouses are weird. I love my wireless mouse though..being able to use it on my bed in the dorm is nice (no problems charging it since I remember to put it back into its slot when I'm going out). Though I do prefer my laptop's battery operated Logitech VX Revolution. The battery life that thing gets is insane..

Maybe I should also mention that the battery life on my MX Laser 1000 is quite long -- when I'm not using it. It can hold still, powered on for many weeks! The big drain on the battery seems to be games or things that require holding down the buttons (as opposed to clicks now and then). Normal, non-game usage and the lith-ion battery lasts quite a while.

Ralf Maximus

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I went back to a wired mouse, not because of battery troubles (I went the standard AA rechargable route) but because of RF interference.  I blamed Intellipoint for a long time until I tried one of my old wired mouses and the problem went away.

So I went and got a nice Microsoft 6000 series laser mouse with a loooong tail and now things are fine.

Stupid radio.

nontroppo

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • spinning top
    • View Profile
    • nontroppo.org
    • Donate to Member
Not that this joint is much of a hotbed of Apple fanatics, but a stern warning to refuse at all costs (even if donated at no cost, or offered with further favors!) Apple's Mighty mouse (wired or unwired).

Good: 360deg scrollball
Bad: Everything else, but really everything else.

They've got some fancy touch sensitive doodad so even though it has no left/right buttons it senses which side you are clicking -- except when it doesn't which is about 40%of the time. The only way to get reliable clicking is to back your hand way off, so then the side buttons are completely out of reach. Not having seperate mouse buttons though breaks the greatest mouse innovation in years - rocker gestures. Click left+riht or right+left is a lightening way to do stuff. It works in Opera, Firefox, and my global gestures system XGestures (but not in strokeIT).
FARR Wishes: Performance TweaksTask ControlAdaptive History
[url=http://opera.com/]

Ralf Maximus

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Yeah, but Mighty Mouse is such a cool name. 

I want one and I don't even have a Mac.

nontroppo

• Joined in 2005
  • spinning top
    • View Profile
    • nontroppo.org
    • Donate to Member
Well, it does come with a cape and externally worn underpants...  8)
FARR Wishes: Performance TweaksTask ControlAdaptive History
[url=http://opera.com/]

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
You've been able to do that 'rocker' function for a while in firefox with an extension.  I believe that there was also a mousing program which let you do the same thing, though its name escapes me currently.

Mark0

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mark's home
    • Donate to Member
They've got some fancy touch sensitive doodad so even though it has no left/right buttons it senses which side you are clicking -- except when it doesn't which is about 40%of the time.
So true!
I have mine put back in the box from... too much months! I always forget to try to put it on eBay! :)

Bye!

Ralf Maximus

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Via The RBLog comes news of the amazing trackball mouse from Kensington:
K72281US-17679.jpg
It appears to replace the wheel with a 360-degree roller.  Neat!  Alas, it appears to be wireless only...

Has anyone had experience with Kensington products?  Do they hold up?

http://us.kensington.com/html/13880.html

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Oh man, I bought a Microsoft wireless mouse and keyboard about three years ago and quickly regretted it. I COULDN'T AFFORD TO KEEP THEM! I was replacing the batteries on both every 9-11 days. Ditched it for good ol' cable. I hated typing something and noticing that m w rds wer s ipping let ers.

Nighted

• Joined in 2005
  • Meat Popsicle
    • View Profile
    • Nighted@deviantART
    • Donate to Member
Ok, I checked my receipt....I bought my mouse on September 7th. When I got home I popped in the included batteries (Energizers). I've used it heavily each day since. Today, finally, the batteries had to be replaced.

210wlmc340.jpg
I`m a firm believer in the philosophy of a ruling class, especially since I rule.

iphigenie

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I quite like my wireless mini mouse () and my wireless trackman. I bought neither because they were wireless, I bought them mostly because they were 5-button and had 2 buttons under the thumb (I depend on those buttons being there in WoW so any device without it is just doomed). It was almost a case of "in spite" of being wireless... Now i need to get my hands on some more rechargeable batteries just to be ready.

Trust makes quite a lot of very competitively priced light mice, almost all with 5 buttons so I own a big one (wired) and a little one (wireless). And I plan to buy one of the "fancy" (£12.99) gamer ones too.
One of the neat thing they do on almost every device is that next to the serial number they print the URL of the product support page. I find that really really neat in its simplicity. For example my mouse is http://www.trust.com/15315

As for the trackball they are very handy when you dont want to move your hand too much - either getting a bit of RSA (I used to have the "marble mouse" at work just for that) or because you're on a sofa or in a hotel room and theres just not much space. When I saw they had a 5 button trackball I could not resist.

olamoree

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I remember when the wireless keyboard wasn't booted until AFTER all opportunity to get into the BIOS (Del) and I kept having to plug in the PS/2 KB to get into the BIOS... so one day I just left it plugged in and its been plugged in ever since.

Then when the sharp pain started in on my right wrist (R handed) I immediately thought CTS and surgery, so I got a $4 tiny optical laptop PS/2 mouse and put it on the LEFT and quickly discovered that I didn't have to let go of the mouse to jot down a note, my right wrist was feeling a LOT better, nobody would sit down at MY computer because the mouse was on the left and it only took me a few days to permanently make the switch!  That was 10 years ago and I still use wired everything except Bluetooth.

Recommendation for wireless wierdos... keep a WIRED mouse plugged in to the PS/2 if your wireless is USB and in a critical moment you will still have a mouse, altho corded... I have a wired trackball (can't find a L handed one) always plugged in on the right just in case...

Lashiec

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Yup, I have one handy if I'm the middle of something important, and the "current" goes off. Like, you know, playing games ;D

CleverCat

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
If you want the lightest battery free wireless mouse.......(Yes - no batteries)....

http://www.a4tech.co...DM1H7ECL769S263G78OO

:D

Lapinbleu

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Saw Renegade's Photo of his wires and thought it was of the back of my desk.

On-board boats the various instruments - speed, water temperature, wind direction... are connected by a single bus, which both powers them and permits the exchange of data.

Would it not be possible to have a single bus like this for computers? It might have to be a bit chunky, and with the AC well screened...

Then you'd have one wire going from the wall to the tower, and then a sort of ring main. To add a peripheral just break the ring, anywhere would do.

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
If you want the lightest battery free wireless mouse.......(Yes - no batteries)....

http://www.a4tech.co...DM1H7ECL769S263G78OO

:D

Interesting, but if you're going to add another wire to your desktop, why not make it a USB wire and plug a Wacom Bamboo Fun tablet into your computer? Then you get what has proven to be a very good and precise wireless and battery free mouse and as a bonus a Wacom pen for drawing as well  :-*... Of course $29.99 vs. $99.99 might be an incentive to go the A4Tech route... As I've already got the Wacom I'll pass, but has anyone tried one of these things?

CleverCat

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Alas, I can't hold a pen any more due to my advanced Rheumatoid Arthritis! :(

Used to be a good drawer - now I use Photoshop... :Thmbsup:

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hmmm, you raise some good points.  Here are my thoughts:

At home, I have a Microsoft wireless that uses regular AA batteries.  But I put rechargeable ones in there and it's great.  I always have 4-6 batteries charged up and available when ready.  So this works wonderfully at home.

Now at work, I have a Logitech with a charging cradle.  The batteries look like two AA batteries fused together.  I don't know if you can replace them with regular AA batteries.  Yes, I've had problems (very seldomly) with the charging contacts not touching properly and then running out of juice unexpectedly.  But every night, I put the mouse on the cradle.  I never forget, it's habit.

The difference between work and home is the habit, though.  At work, it's easy to just put the mouse in the cradle as part of the routine.  At home, I'm using the computer at all hours of the day and night, so there's no consistent time to put the mouse in the cradle.  I can see that becoming a problem.

But what's the solution?  I really want that MX mouse!  I don't want a mouse that's not as good just because of the charging situation.  What's a good mouse that doesn't use a cradle?

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
At home, I'm using the computer at all hours of the day and night, so there's no consistent time to put the mouse in the cradle.  I can see that becoming a problem.

bingo.