ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > The Getting Organized Experiment of 2007

For those with a System that Works -- Post it!

(1/4) > >>

mouser:
Those of you who participated in GOE 2006 or who have adopted an organizational system of some kind from some other place, please post a description of it, and where it works for you, and where it breaks down and could use some improvement.

In the GOE 2006 Experiment we focused on reviewing existing published strategies by people like David Allen (GTD) and Mark Forster (Do It Tomorrow).

I think for this year we should concentrate on our own ideas and what works for each of us personally.  Let's share our experiences and struggles and try to each perfect our own system.

I'm convinced that having some set of policies and guidelines -- a "routine" of sorts, is important for most of us to stay on track.  So this year let's try to each of us focus on refining the techniques that work for us individually.

I have held onto a few things from last years GOE which have helped me immensely, and i would never go back from what i do now to using a ToDo list.  I'll post my "system" in a few days.. Meanwhile I'd like to hear what you guys do!

Darwin:
Thanks for posting this idea, mouser. I *just* replied to apps posting about the problems that she has with theise kinds of systems and agree with her. I noted that I won't be participating this year BUT I'll be keeping an eye on this thread and reading peoples' experiences with real interest with a view to implementing anything that resonates with me.

nudone:
my system. think of something that needs doing. now think of something else that needs doing that doesn't seem as bad as the first thing. do the second thing to take your mind of the first thing. repeat.

what happens when you need to get the first thing done that seemed so bad? think of something even worse that needs doing. problem solved.

okay, i have no system. i think goals are very important but sometimes they can seem a bit pointless like app recently mentioned. when my goals seem to lose their sparkle i try to remember what the alternative is going to be if i don't realise these goals. the alternative often seeming like a living hell that i must avoid at all costs. this usually puts me back on track and fills me with the desire to get on with things.

i recently read something in a book about research into motivation that i found quite illuminating. the research concluded that 'will power' pretty much doesn't exist so just forget about it. don't expect to accomplish anything using 'will power'. it might work for a short period of time but you are very likely to fail if that is all you are relying on.

instead, you need to put yourself in an environment that will make it difficult for you to do the thing(s) you are wanting to avoid. maybe not very practical but it appears to be the successful way to achieve something.

have i put this theory into practise? nope.

Darwin:
 ;D

Hallejiuah! I'm not alone...

Armando:
my system. think of something that needs doing. now think of something else that needs doing that doesn't seem as bad as the first thing. do the second thing to take your mind of the first thing. repeat.

what happens when you need to get the first thing done that seemed so bad? think of something even worse that needs doing. problem solved.

okay, i have no system. i think goals are very important but sometimes they can seem a bit pointless like app recently mentioned. when my goals seem to lose their sparkle i try to remember what the alternative is going to be if i don't realise these goals. the alternative often seeming like a living hell that i must avoid at all costs. this usually puts me back on track and fills me with the desire to get on with things.

i recently read something in a book about research into motivation that i found quite illuminating. the research concluded that 'will power' pretty much doesn't exist so just forget about it. don't expect to accomplish anything using 'will power'. it might work for a short period of time but you are very likely to fail if that is all you are relying on.

instead, you need to put yourself in an environment that will make it difficult for you to do the thing(s) you are wanting to avoid. maybe not very practical but it appears to be the successful way to achieve something.

have i put this theory into practise? nope.
-nudone (November 04, 2007, 03:08 AM)
--- End quote ---

Nudone : Do you remember the title of the book?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version