ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Google OS already here, with hardware?! Well, sort of.

<< < (3/8) > >>

Darwin:
Lashiec -thanks for the link, a very interesting read (the author wasn't kidding when he or she stated that although the RFID Guardian appears simple in concept it is in fact quite complicated in practice. Very impressive). The days of tinfoil hats for all of us aren't far off!

kalos:
I don't think it's sensible to treat in a negative way any attempt to develop an OS
GoogleOS not only should be welcomed, but it should be demanded as well

however I doubt that any other company will easily manage to become as mainstream as Microsoft
Microsoft achieved through disputable practices the ultimate domination in computer world and this cannot be easily done with other than disputable practices (they can do it only if they are genius)

me for myself, I surely need better desktop than XP, better programming languages than C, better file system than NTFS, better compression format than RAR, better OS than takes the 100% out of given hardware, etc

I am sure many of these exist or can be developed, but we need to combine them, to develop them further and then a good manager to promote them

Josh:
You see, the problem with google making GoS is this. We already have several linux distributions which work, do so fairly well, and are pretty easy to use. The only problem for the consumer is that there are far too many of them. Its like the beginning of the software age. Companies had to spend thousands of dollars training people on specific packages of software because each company used a different one. To be marketable in that age, you had to know whatever product the company you were applying for was using.

That is the problem with Linux. Yes, choice is good, however, too many choices is also counter-productive. The linux community needs to realize this and focus their efforts on one specific distribution. Google would be the perfect engine to focus this effort, however, I don't see many of the dedicated users for X distro showing support for a "merging" of sorts.

kalos:
I don't really consider linux distros as "choices"
to me, they are all pretty much the same
most of them are IT students' university projects or some enthusiasts' hobbies

if you mean the main linux distributions (debian, gentoo, etc) I still don't think they aren't different enough to consider them as choices (maybe choices are linux and bsd eventualy)

to sum up, what I consider as choices in linux, are: KDE or Gnome (desktop), pacman or apt (package manager), ext3 or JFS (file system), etc etc

I don't know if you understand me, but linux distros that are the same but they differ in the software and tools that accompanies them, don't seem as choices to me

LFS is a good example for what I am saying
it enables you to choose different components and create your own distro

so, what we really need, is not new distros but new components
we need different ideas in software, not a different combination of existing components

there are some trully new OSes out there (eg SkyOS), now that's what I consider a choice

so when I imagine of a GoogleOS, I definately do NOT imagine it as a linux distro

I imagine GoogleOS to work in a revolutionary filesystem that with decent write/delete/find speeds, innovative features, without the limitations of the current filesystems

I imagine GoogleOS to be much more customizable than winxp, with an integrated OS-level ability to customize it and not with external utilities and scripts (eg autohotkey, strokeit, alternative shell, etc)

I imagine GoogleOS to have a simple and flexible file hierarchy, not as linux hierarchy

I imagine GoogleOS to introduce new file formats and new software algorithms

ofcourse such project seems enormous, but Google is very powerful and it has what it takes to dominate OS field in the future

Josh:
How are linux distros not considered choices? I can count, from memory, at least 12 different distros which can all be considered major players in the market. Yes, software might be similar on each, but it is not the same. The update package manager for one distro is not the same as on another. One uses apt-get or a gui alternative, one use rpm, another uses some custom scheme. There is no set way. This is just ONE example of the inconsistencies that exist among the major linux players. For the OS to be taken seriously, google will have to make something that all of the linux fans can jump behind and support. Without support going towards one major distribution, linux will never be more than a tech geeks hobby.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version