ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Google OS already here, with hardware?! Well, sort of.

<< < (2/8) > >>

f0dder:
I'm not sure I'd be superhappy about a "google OS" - they already have a searching monopoly, would you want the to (potentially) get an OS monopoly? They're big enough that they could get a working OS together and smoke both MacOS and Linux, and since most people think of them as The Good GuysTM, they could get some real momentum... and then...?

mouser:
I think they would make a really nice OS..

And then would come the dawn of built-in-desktop advertising.

Free programs for your pc, but your desktop background wallpaper, screensavers, and toolbars, would all be full of ads.

No thank you.

Darwin:
Hadn't thought of that angle, mouser, but now that you've pointed it out, it's a bit scary. Kind of like the RFID rage with retailers who are champing at the bit to be able to id returning customers (through their cell phones, credit cards, drivers licences, etc.) and pull up their last 3 purchases from a database and provide targeted advertising on monitors throughout the store. Minority Report meets 1984. Scary.

Carol Haynes:
I think they would make a really nice OS..

And then would come the dawn of built-in-desktop advertising.

Free programs for your pc, but your desktop background wallpaper, screensavers, and toolbars, would all be full of ads.

No thank you.
-mouser (November 04, 2007, 03:12 PM)
--- End quote ---

A bit like Windows desktops on new pre-installed systems ...

Lashiec:
A Google OS... that's the new tech meme that the so called 'tech journalists' had been feasting on for all these months. It's clear that they don't know much about technology, just like the whole Web 2.0 craze and its dream of thin clients and FAT servers...

But you know, there's something called 'OS' in Google. Here it is

Darwin, soon we'll need this

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version