ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

online tutorials - screencasts rule over static pages?

<< < (2/3) > >>

Deozaan:
I would also highly recommend a series of short screencasts (part1, part2, part3, part4) rather than one big one.
Segments of 2-3 minutes are probably optimal in terms of viewability.
-mouser (November 01, 2007, 04:44 PM)
--- End quote ---

And they make it easier to follow. You can't really follow along with long ones unless you have dual monitors or you pause it frequently. Short clips would allow you to take it all in, then practice. I like this idea.

Veign:
I would forget about charging -- it won't work.  Better to just get an audience at this point.
-mouser (November 01, 2007, 04:43 PM)
--- End quote ---

True and you could make more from Google Ads on the page showcasing the tutorials.

Go for the largest audiance possible.  You might even get some work out of it so make sure people know you could be hired to do graphics (if you're in the market)...

justice:
This will be handy for you:
how to optimize video for youtube

Also you might want to consider Veoh, it is similar to youtube but the video size / quality is a lot better for example if you're naughty you can find the usual 1cd cinema movies on there, but the format and player would be good for screencasts.

Also I am sure there must be dedicated video sharing sites for screencasts, some of these might take your quality issues into account.

Also, if you use camtasia studio you can write captions straight into the program along with your video which you can then export to html, this will save you time and will help index your pages by search engines + improves accessibility.

tinjaw:
Also I am sure there must be dedicated video sharing sites for screencasts, some of these might take your quality issues into account.
-justice (November 01, 2007, 05:52 PM)
--- End quote ---

Good point. I know of ShowMeDo.

jgpaiva:
A few points i think are important:

about static pages:
- better for search engines indexing
- better for non-english people
- better if you intend to be reading it and practicing at the same time
- easier for continuing where you left

These last 2 can be fixed if you do smaller screencasts, and the 3rd can be fixed if you speak slowly and with a good mic. As for search engines indexing, i think that the description with screenshots of the video on the same page as the video would largelly contribute to that.

about screencasts:
- don't forget to add a constant watermark to the video with your website's link, as people tend to use other people's videos everywhere. this way, you'll even thank them for distributing it ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version