ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

SyncBackSE vs. SuperFlexible

<< < (6/16) > >>

tomos:
I'm not a fan of the SFFS interface - I agree its poorly designed in terms of user interaction.

In terms of setting up a backup, if you simply go through everything you *should* be covered
Saying that I have been caught by an overlooked setting -
which can be easy to do cause it takes a while to follow/understand it all - I've found
Generally I copy a Profile I'm happy with for a new profile & work from there

I generally start scheduler manually each morning -
I dont want it running till i start working
but
I'm sure the scheduler works - worked for me before anyways -
Options: restore previous windows & scheduler states. should cover you?

That with having to disable scheduler I've gotten used to  :)

By default SFFS insists on zipping each file individually - expect fun manually unzipping thousands of files, one by one, if you ever need to access the backup without SFFS!-tranglos (November 05, 2007, 04:24 PM)
--- End quote ---
:-\ eh,
with winrar at any rate I just select the zip files I want to restore (edit: i.e. all selected same time!)
right click - extract here
& the original folder hierarchy is recreated
In fact for restoring a lot of files I find it a very good solution

I have restored stuff - from one folder - but not to original folders, & found it so easy I havent even used SFFS for it
Copying to original location then should be no problem too
I guess if you want to restore a whole bunch of stuff from different folders you'd need to use SFFS

Also, I've personally had no problems extracting encrypted zip files with Directory Opus and Win Explorer

Tranglos, have you tried DirSync ? (see post #13) I havent but if you've tried everything else... :)

PS/EDIT: just noticed, on my system SFFS is using 10MB memory if I'm reading correctly (private bytes - Process Explorer)

tomos:
Keep hourly backups for the last 24 hours, keep daily backups for the last month, and keep weekly backups for all previous months-tranglos (November 05, 2007, 04:24 PM)
--- End quote ---

12 Ghosts:
the icons arent very inspiring & I dont know when it was last updated - I see vista mentioned ...
http://12ghosts.com/ghosts/backup.htm
HyperBackup creates one version per minute for one hour, one version every hour during one day's time, one version every day for the last month, and finally one version per month. This way it keeps a history of changes but requires only moderate disk space. A technology is used that does not require any processor resources while waiting for changes. Hence, most of the time 12-Backup just sits there, doing nothing. And even while backing up it does not block other applications because it runs in idle time, that is, when the processor has nothing else to do..
Also, have you looked at Filehamster -
various threads here if you search
watches folders & makes backup when you save - option to write comment -
you can e.g. easily delete all without comments or
limit number of backup saved (I havent used it that way so cant say..)
I love it but use it only for active (work) projects

iphigenie:
I tried hyperbackup at the time and I liked it - it is a great default scheme and a shame more tools don't use that kind of approach (the only one i know is regrun for its registry backup). Most schedulers can't even allow you to manually set up an approach like this

tranglos:
Thank, Tomos. I've tried DirSync, and it's nice enough, but doesn't do the true real-time mirroring that MirrorFolder does. Though the latter has its own quirks and I'm still trying it out. My external USB drive has just had a series of interesting write failures which may be attributable to MirrorFolder's device driver - Windows telling me delayed write to the external drive failed, after which it wouldn't even read directory contents right and had to be powered down. It's only a hunch, but my guess is that MirrorFolder's device driver hooks up each and every read/write operation, and it may have choked on something, since I was copying gigabytes of data to the USB drive and reading from it at the same time. It's the first time I've seen it happen, so I'm suspecting MF.

FileHamster and 12 Ghosts - I'm off to try them right now. Other than that, I've made up my mind to buy this little piece of hardware:
http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1697,2091770,00.asp
With that, I'll be able to mirror all of my data and keep multiple versions of some of it, and while it's still vulnerable to theft, at least it won't fry if the main machine ever does. (Never happened to me, but on a friend's machine the power supply went all blue smoke and took everything with it, including two hard drives).

And just for completeness' sake - WebDrive is really nice in what it does, great to have an ftp account available as a drive letter at all times. The only problem with it so far - uploading one file in the background takes up exactly 50% of my Core2 Due 2,6 GHz; uploading two files concurrently takes 100%. This is excessive, and WebDrive doesn't seem to have a configurable priority setting. I wonder if there's a way to permanently mark a process low-priority in the Task Manager...

mwb1100:
And just for completeness' sake - WebDrive is really nice in what it does, great to have an ftp account available as a drive letter at all times. The only problem with it so far - uploading one file in the background takes up exactly 50% of my Core2 Due 2,6 GHz; uploading two files concurrently takes 100%. This is excessive, and WebDrive doesn't seem to have a configurable priority setting. I wonder if there's a way to permanently mark a process low-priority in the Task Manager...
-tranglos (November 07, 2007, 08:20 PM)
--- End quote ---

If you can get by with SFTP instead of FTP you might want to try SFTPDrive (http://www.sftpdrive.com).  It uses essentially no CPU for me.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version