ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

SyncBackSE vs. SuperFlexible

(1/16) > >>

DBC:
I've been looking for backup software to do versioned differential backups. I tend to prefer hands-on packages and was trying out SyncBackSE when I noticed zridling's mini-review of Super Flexible File Synchronizer.

Back in May some people expressed the intention of switching to SFFS from SyncBackSE. Now that the dust has settled, are people happy about the move - if they made it? Or, on closer inspection, did they find features of SyncBackSE that they preferred to those of SFFS after all?

Both look to me as if they would do what I want, but I didn't see much in the way of detailed comparison that would have enabled me to make a choice between the two. Unfortunately, my trial of SyncBackSe has run out so I can't compare them in action.

In favour of SyncBackSE, it has a very lively forum, lots of documentation, and is about $10 cheaper than SFFS - even with the latter's discount. I also tend to like companies that offer decent free versions of their software as well as paid ones (e.g. like SyncBack and NoteTab). In favour of SFFS, it has a rather neater interface, and some enthusiastic users here.

DBC

tomos:
cant compare I'm afraid
but I can say that if you've any problems -
Tobias - the developer of SFFS is very helpful & quick to respond to emails & fix any bugs -
same day service last (& first) time I found a bug.

Has the partial file backup thing - backing up only the changed portion of large files
& supports S3/Amazon online backup - I havent used that though..

a forum is nice to have though too  :-\

Darwin:
I am not in a position to comment on SyncBackSE, either, but SFFS is everything Zaine (and Tom!) make it out to be and more. I didn't think I needed/wanted it because I have DOpus 9, which features a pretty robust folder syncher and used it daily for three years. I NEVER use it anymore, SFFS is that good.

YMMV.

PPLandry:
It's not a backup software per se, but it does the same... have you tried SyncToy? Free tool from MS. I have a portable HD. It compares the two and copies just what's relevant. Many options. I use contribute so the backup includes stuff I've deleted.

zridling:
DBC, test them all and find what you like. Super Flexible File Synchronizer (SFFS) is built for enterprise use on top of desktop use, so it not only does Delta synching, but can handle almost any remote task — a great feature when you're somewhere/anywhere else. Super Flexible Software primarily caters to enterprise clients, meaning, they don't have time to deal with mistakes. Although it's pricey, we're lucky to have this software available to individual users.

SFFS can detect and merge changes in files — even in different locations using 'SmartTracking' — or it can copy the entire file if you choose to do so within your profile. SmartTracking does what you're talking about; that is, track changes that have been made between the various invocations of your files rather than creating duplicates by merely copying files between the left and right locations. SFFS also has an advanced algorithm for efficiently comparing source and target directories while sending only a little bit of data across the wire, and copying only changed parts of files, saving bandwidth when using FTP or S3.

You decide what SFFS does by properly setting up your sync profile. In attended mode inside the Synchronization Preview dialog, you can even choose the action of any specific file, one-by-one. Therefore, I think you misunderstand the nature of delta synchronization, which is a process method, not an algorithm. You can create a variety of algorithms to run a delta synchronization of your files.

SFFS is updated frequently and also has a Linux version. So you can take it with you to anothe platform and not have to buy another license. After using the others — all of which are good! — I really, really like the power and feature set of Super Flexible File Synchronizer.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version