topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 5:20 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: PalmOS Software Development/IDE  (Read 8749 times)

Josh

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
PalmOS Software Development/IDE
« on: October 31, 2007, 10:16 PM »
I am on the hunt for a software development IDE for the PalmOS v5. Does anyone know of a good, preferably freeware although not required, suite that allows application development for the Palm OS?

tabletguy

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: PalmOS Software Development/IDE
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2007, 11:37 PM »
I've used NsBasic for several years and versions, and it has performed well with some complicated commercial applications that I've written.

http://www.nsbasic.com/

Palm also has a developer site, which you can register for free (last time I checked), and download their development environment (C, C++, I think).

cnewtonne

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2007, 09:22 PM »
Subscribe for free in PDN and get their eclipse IDE along with all required OS and devices SDKs. This is what you need to get started. Once you see yourself serious about it and ready for a commitment. You got to learn and use Code Worrier. It is the standard defacto industry recognized solution.

For curiosity, though, why are you developing for POS now. It has been dying and has no future.

Josh

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2007, 09:27 PM »
No Future? I see people using palms day in and day out. Heck, palm just released centro and have new devices slated for release. Palm is great at what it does, far more stable than Windows Mobile, and has a very large following.

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2007, 12:28 AM »
No Future? I see people using palms day in and day out. Heck, palm just released centro and have new devices slated for release. Palm is great at what it does, far more stable than Windows Mobile, and has a very large following.

I agree! :)

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2007, 06:28 AM »

CASL

http://www.caslsoft.com/

CASL is a technology leader in the field of compilers and RAD (Rapid Application Development) Tools for PDA's.  The CASLide was first released in 1996, making CASL one of the earliest supporters of the Palm OS. The proto-type for CASL was IZL, CASLsoft's development tool for the GEOS based PDA's (OmniGo and Zoomer), which was released in 1993.

In November 2003, we added the ability to extend CASL applications to both PalmOS and PocketPC devices using the same CASL source code.  This addition officially made CASL a true multi-platform RAD environment for PDA developers.  At the same time, supporting the capability to run CASL applications in CASLWin (Windows) for debugging and deployment.

In July of 2006, CASL 4.3 was released and added better support for the latest available hardware.  This includes support for the Palm Tungsten T|X, Treo 700p, Windows Mobile 5 and many more devices.

PalmOS and PPC!

A programmer contact noted, though, that the problem with "non-standard" languages is lack of libraries.