topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 23, 2024, 8:22 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: How Estonia was taken down  (Read 3532 times)

Lashiec

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
How Estonia was taken down
« on: October 31, 2007, 12:30 PM »
Wandering through Wired, I came across this thrilling article relating the computer attack that Estonia suffered this past Spring. As you may remember, there were a lot of politics involved in the situation, and a lot of blame was put onto Putin's shoulders (I won't discuss the true nature of the attack, though), giving his dubious movements towards an (officially) undetermined goal. Anyway, politics aside, the article goes over the damage done by the attack, how the authorities and private business tried to minimize its impact, and how it was defeated after some days thanks to some unexpected guests (that part resembles an spy novel :D) and the post-attack investigation in Russia on part of Wired's reporter. Worth a read, just to remind us how the technology may change the way wars are fought in the future, and how a single group of... well, choose your favourite name for them ;), can bring the whole civilization down. Taking a paranoid stance with the article creates an image of a really bleak future...

Clipboard-2.pngHow Estonia was taken down

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: How Estonia was taken down
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2007, 08:54 PM »
fascinating, i thought South Korea was the most wired nation, given their prowess in MMOs.. :)

Ralf Maximus

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: How Estonia was taken down
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2007, 09:00 PM »
fascinating, i thought South Korea was the most wired nation, given their prowess in MMOs.. :)

If Korea is ever invaded by the Zerg I know who'll win THAT battle.