topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday April 18, 2024, 9:09 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Database Application IDE  (Read 6879 times)

johnfdeluca

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Database Application IDE
« on: October 31, 2007, 10:38 AM »
I am not really a programmer but I am familiar with programming concepts and I use javascript a lot.  I'm frustrated with shareware apps that don't quite meet my needs for simple applications which typically involve a database of user-supplied data (recipe apps, home inventory apps, etc.).  I'd like to learn how to build a custom app to meet my database-like needs.  Now I considered MS Access but I really want to build without requiring purchase of a separate app for development.  I also attempted Tiddy Wikki and have a very good working model but it's very slow b/c it's all javascript driven in a single file and uses no db.  Is there a development environment that would be well suited for this sort of thing?  A form which collects data, breaks it out into db tables and can be joined together.  For example, I imagine a form which allows user to define ingredients, prices, grocery stores and aisles, can associate those ingredients with the store ailses and prices and can build recipes from those ingredients.  Things like that. 

I've heard a lot about AutoHotKey here and I've previously used AutoIt3 to make simple script-driven functions but I'm not sure if it is well suited for this sort of thing.  When I set my mind to something, I can be like a sponge in that I learn a lot fast (else I just drop it--lol).....so perhaps I can learn to program.  Any ideas on what development software would be well suited for this sort of thing?

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Database Application IDE
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2007, 10:53 AM »
Humm, if you do want it to be database-driven, I'd suggest taking a look at SQLite - it works directly on the database files without having to set up a database server etc., and is pretty lightweight and relatively easy to use. Plus it has bindings for a lot of languages already (if you're lucky, also autoit/autohotkey).

But it's not a simple visual solution that lets you "draw" databases, it does require a bit of programming and SQL statements, so it does take some investment from your side. There might be better things around that are easier to use :)
- carpe noctem

Veign

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Veign - Where design meets development
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2007, 10:58 AM »
Are you looking to create a desktop application or a web application?

If a web application then with PHP and MySQL the process wouldn't be too difficult.

Here's a post of mine for tools to manage a MySQL database:
http://www.veign.com...agers-and-tools.html

the other advantage to PHP / MySQL is there is far less of a learning curve than creating a desktop application.  You will also find many developers within this forum that work heavily in PHP / MySQL - like myself and mouser.

johnfdeluca

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2007, 01:15 PM »
I hadn't considered an online/web-based app but I like the simplicity of the idea.  I am somewhat familiar with php and mysql since I have had previous experience hacking a very nice PHP/My SQL app called Mantis Bug Tracker.  I'll need to dust off some brain cells and will likely have an inital learning curve since building from scratch is a big difference than hacking an existing codebase/app....but certainly no worse than a desktop app learning curve.

tinjaw

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2007, 02:01 PM »
There is also a stack that allows you to take a PHP/MySQL app and wrap it as a stand-alone application. I remember seeing an announcement somewhere in the past few days. Somebody will probably beat me to it an post the info here, but if not, I will try to find it for you.

tinjaw

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

Veign

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Veign - Where design meets development
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2007, 10:33 AM »
Thanx for the link TinJaw.  Missed that thread the first time around.

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2007, 12:30 AM »
If you want to go the web application route and keep it locally on your pc, you can install Xerver and set up to only grant access from localhost. That way you can use your browser to access your custom made web app but nobody else can.

Xerver is easy to set up & use and when set to run in non-gui mode, it is quite light. I have run it on a pretty low end slow machine (233mhz, 64mb ram, WinME) and you couldn't tell it was running in the background unless you bothered to check the list of running processes. It didn't affect performance in the least bit.

You would still have to install PHP/MySQL on your machine, but using Xerver is a lot easier than installing Apache or Abyss.

http://www.javascript.nu/xerver/