ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Run apps as non-admin with SetSafer to avoid spyware.

<< < (2/3) > >>

justice:
There's a few reasons I chose SetSafer. It's easy to add / disable the functionality for a particular program as you can enable / disable a checkbox when yuo run the program. It's also easy to add another program to it, plain xml -- this was important because I want to safely run most of my internet related programs - not just IE. But the main reason for choosing SetSAFER was because the user can just keep running the same shortcuts / programs. Especially handy for family members, this means 'a program that launches IE' can't circumvent the security measure, and it still works with protocol associations etc. This wasn't the case with DropMyRights, which I used before and found cumbersome as it wants you to create new shortcuts.

You can approach it from the other way round using Sudo win -- run everything with lower privileges except for installations (similar to Run As...) etc, which might be safer but more intrusive and technical. Hope that explains things a bit.

PhilB66:
Hope that explains things a bit.
-justice (October 30, 2007, 09:06 AM)
--- End quote ---

It certainly does, tnx. Will give SetSafer a try.

justice:
A related question to this, I've been running this for a month or so prior to the start of this post, for myself and installed it on others too. I have one naggle you might be able to help with:
Can I disable the "run" button that comes up when clicking on a download in Internet Explorer? Sometimes I noticed people get annoyed cos they can't install the software by running it straight from the browser due to lower privs. Saving the file and running it by itself works of course, but if they couldn't run it at all that would prevent any frustration in the first place. Any ideas?

PhilB66:
I use opera but WinT mods or this thread @ Virtualplastic might give you a lead.

justice:
That's a bit hacky to me it might cause issues with other applications. I was hoping there was a local computer policy for it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version