ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Run apps as non-admin with SetSafer to avoid spyware.

(1/3) > >>

justice:
I thought my blog post on the subject might be useful to everyone at donationcoder.

Everybody who’s ever tried it knows the problem. Life as a regular user on Windows is a pain: who wants to switch users just to install software, sometimes even to run it? However running software as a non-admin increases security. It’s impossible for spyware to install itself into the system when it is not allowed to.

Using SetSAFER, a program created by Microsoft employee Michael Howard we can run just any applications as a regular or limited user, while still using an administrator account. After testing for side effects, which I explain below, I recommend you give this a try. I no longer have to run a realtime spyware scanner, and now just schedule routine scans.-http://blog.amasan.co.uk/
--- End quote ---

Downloads and Resources

* Download SetSAFER with my configuration. (it requires the .NET Framework 2.0)

* If you prefer you can download SetSAFER directly on the author’s website.

tomos:
! thanks for that tip justice  :up:

Ralf Maximus:
This sounds incredibly cool.  This is the way security should work in Windows.

INEVITABLE SNARK: So why didn't Vista adopt this instead of the wacky house-of-mirrors it imposes?

justice:
I've only tested it on Windows XP, but as it uses policy settings I'm sure it should work on Vista as well. If anyone who knows can let me know then I can add that to the article. :)

PhilB66:
Nice blog justice  :Thmbsup:

There are plenty of 'Run as non Admin' tools listed @ nonadmin, why did you choose SetSafer over the others?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version