ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

How to get data from dead flash drive?

<< < (3/4) > >>

f0dder:
"chkdsk /f" works fine on flash drives, since what it corrects are filesystem metadata corruption, not physical defects.

Tekzel: apart from failing circuitry, what's so bad about using flash drives for backup? Once you hit the maximal write cycles (which you probably won't anyway), it's my understanding that the used regions simply can't be "re-flashed", but still retain the last written value?

justice:
I hope you've not chkdsk /f yet because you should use unstoppable copier first. It can copy damaged files, all files, or only nondamaged files, and it doesn't give you silly copying prompts.
But if you have done chkdsk you might have made files unrecoverable.
But run it aynway.

Howver if the hardware is broke we just usually throw it in the bin.

PC Literates:
My wife and I computer technicians and we just had the same thing happen to both of our flash drives the same night we went to a radio station to work on their computers.  Both drives are completely DEAD!  We tried to read them on five differant computers and none of them even recognize that they are plugged in.

Has anyone who has had this happen to them been near radio equipment or antennas?

nosh:
I've shorted out a cable modem & a bluetooth hub by plugging them into the same faulty USB socket, so I'd look at that angle too. I don't know how you could test a faulty USB socket (that's emitting more power or whatever) other than by sacrificing another device. :) Hopefully somebody knows a less destructive way.

f0dder:
Flash memory shouldn't be affected by radio emissions from what I know - but I've fried a flash memory device in a bad USB port once.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version