ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

How to get data from dead flash drive?

(1/4) > >>

tsaint:
A student at my school had to pass up a major assignment today - 2 months of work.
She saved it to her flash drive (usb drive), but later, found that the drive couldnt even be recognized by windows.
Tried on various school computers today -it IS dead. Probably the data is there, but there's a break in the circuitry or something similar.

The question is, is it possible to get the data off the drive with any equipment likely to be owned by someone accessible (ie not the research centre at sandisk etc).
Are there any other things to try (eg gentle heat to expand solder tracks or sticking in icebox as with hard drives)?
thanks
tony

BTW, she's bringing her computer in tomorrow in the hope that files can be undeleted from there - but she's got 6 (SIX) kids who use her computer.

PhilB66:
Does it show up in device manager? Try changing the usb drive letter.

Darwin:
Coincidence? I think not. I noticed this on lifehacker earlier today. Hope it helps.

tsaint:
was a coincidence, but when I say dead I mean as in it does not show up as an attached device on any computer its been plugged into.
So any option which starts with accessing the drive is out - its not showing, so isnt accessible.

Darwin:
Dang! I really hoped that that would help you out. As I've a number of USB storage devices, including three thumbdrives, I'd be interested in knowing of any solutions to this problem as well (knock on wood I've yet to encounter this one, even after having my main 4GB thumbdrive go through the wash in my trouser's pocket  :-[).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version