ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

A Simple Database Program? (Or is that an Oxymoron itself?!)

<< < (4/7) > >>

PPLandry:
Armando wroteSadly, one thing that I find is missing from all database I've tried, is a file tracking system to track finame changes, file moving, etc. when they're only linked to the database and reside outside of it
--- End quote ---
Surely one could tap into an Windows event or message to update the database. Shortcuts are now automatically updated when a file is moved, so it is feasible. I'll look into it!

Of course, one doesn't need that eature if the files are completely transfered inside the database
--- End quote ---
I could certainly store files in the database, but am relunctant to do it. If someone gives a good reason to do it perhaps...

Armando:
Surely one could tap into an Windows event or message to update the database. Shortcuts are now automatically updated when a file is moved, so it is feasible. I'll look into it!-PPLandry (October 31, 2007, 09:53 PM)
--- End quote ---

IMO, that would be an advantage over other solutions (like Ultra Recall or myBase).

I could certainly store files in the database, but am relunctant to do it. If someone gives a good reason to do it perhaps...
-PPLandry (October 31, 2007, 09:53 PM)
--- End quote ---

I share the same point of view : I don't like to store files (different file types) in one database. I've always disliked it, for many reasons.
- One of them is backing up -- while some will advocate that it facilitates backup**, I find that it makes it cumbersome and harder to manage : backing up a 2gb database is not as convenient as backing up a 34kb file.
- Another reason is that most stored files lose some of the features tightly linked to their specific format in the first place (why edit a word document in rtf????).
- Another one is that, usually, not all file types can be stored and managed in a database (so what's the point?? If I'm going to put files in a database I want to be able to put any file I want. Not only *.doc, *.txt, *.rtf, *.pdf., *.jpg and *.bmp).
- Another one is the fear of data corruption. Often, when a database is corrupted, and it happens, chances are you'll loose quite a bit of data.

So... yes, just linking is fine with me. Others might have other opinions on database and storing files in them (J-Mac ?). I'd be glad to hear them!  :)

**"you just have one file to backup", etc. . But I don't care, personally: I have a good backup program.

P.S. : I just tried the new beta : it's looking real good. But I'll either post about it in the SQLNotes Forum or in the other thread focusing on SQLNotes.

PPLandry:
Armando wroteI share the same point of view : I don't like to store files (different file types) in one database. I've always disliked it, for many reasons.
--- End quote ---
Glad to see we're on the same wavelength. Plus file management becomes more difficult. Your hard disk IS a database with a UI fine-tuned to effectively manage files. To replicate this in another program is redundant. Not much is gained by having the file inside the database. Many tools can be used to effectively manage your files (i.e. I personally like synctoy for worry-free backups on external HD). All this is only my opinion of course. I'm interested in hearing other views ...

Armando:
Your hard disk IS a database with a UI fine-tuned to effectively manage files. To replicate this in another program is redundant.-PPLandry (October 31, 2007, 10:36 PM)
--- End quote ---

This is exactly my point of view -- which I've expressed in a number of threads here.

J-Mac:
Jim wrote@tomos:  Yes, I had looked at SQLNotes already and I don't think that will do it for me.  Thanks!
--- End quote ---
I'm the author of SQLNotes and before being a PIM (which is it is not quite yet), it IS a flexible, simple to use database. From what you described, it should be a prefect match. Perhaps I can help in setting it up.
I'm also planning to soon add a folder monitoring system. Just tell it which folders to monitor and it will automatically create a item for each file (saves you from drag-droping files). You can then add your own attributes, sort, filter, launch, generate statistics, etc)

I'm more than willing to work with you on this. I've in the past, coached users through a real telephone conversation (no charge of course) getting going on SQLNotes. All users are welcomed to this free service.
-PPLandry (October 31, 2007, 03:56 PM)
--- End quote ---

Looks like I missed a lot of posts here today!

Yes, your proposition DOES sound very inviting, PPLandry.  Interesting!  When I read the thread about SQLNotes the program name of "Notes" had me thinking just that - Notes; not database management. Though I do realize that SQL is indeed a database program, I wasn't primed to think that way--Notes, notes, notes.  Hey, if you name your program as Notes, I'm going to view it as such!  (I think very simply at times. Well, MOST of the time!!)

I imagine I'll need to install an SQL database application -- or actually as a service -- on my PC for that.  MSSQL? Or another?  I have MSSQL running on another PC; installed with another program I use very occasionally, but it stores all its data in a MSSQL database.  My only problem with it is pretty minor. It is running as a service all the time even though I only run that program monthly at the most. Sometimes every two or three months. And once in a while another application or service - can't remember which - will have a conflict with MSSQL and I have to basically relearn all to troubleshoot the issue. I have at times disabled the service until I need to use that program, and then I have to activate it again.

When I read about SQL Notes I didn't give it much attention because I have a few notes programs and I couldn't imagine why I would want to install an SQL database app just for another Notes app. But it sounds like you intend to use the database functions a lot more than for Notes.

We can certainly talk about it.

Thanks!

Jim

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version