ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

A Simple Database Program? (Or is that an Oxymoron itself?!)

<< < (2/7) > >>

J-Mac:
I found a free application at LifeHacker - DocsVault.  I downloaded it and am checking it now.  A bit like Paperport, I understand.  Can't hurt to give it a try at that price!!

Thanks!

Jim

yacht_boy:
Zoho.com has two online offerings that are both pretty simple and easy to use.  I like zoho creator better:  http://creator.zoho.com/

There's also zoho database and reports.  Not sure why they have two offerings, but so it is:  http://db.zoho.com/ZDBHome.cc

J-Mac:
Thanks yacht_boy. I do have a membership at Zoho and have used their writer and spreadsheet apps, but I didn't know their database was worth trying - after a whilethey start to all look like Access!  But actually the VB part of Access is what trips me up every time.  I'm almost certain that Zoho wouldn't be using that.

I'll give it a good look!

Jim

J-Mac:
Zoho Creator does look tempting, but I will pass on it. I really prefer not to put private and personal information into any online application that has "social sharing" as its goal.  You have to remember to always check and make sure that whatever you enter there is defaulting to "Private" and if not you must remember to change it from Public to Private.

IMO, apps like this are fine to use for anything that you wouldn't mind the world seeing.  But if it is sensitive data at all, then this type of app is no good - too easy for it to be made a public document. And once it does, you'll never get it back to fully private - if anyone else has managed to download it before you catch it.

Thanks anyway!

Jim

J-Mac:
Has anyone tried DocsVault?  It looks to be a Passport clone, but at a much more amenable price.  (Free!!)

Only drawback I see is that it does not place the actual document in the selected vault folder, but instead places a copy of the original document.  This could lead to one editing a file but having the copy in DocsVault stay as it was when you stored it originally. Anytime you have two sets of identical files you stand a chance of having them become no longer identical.

Other than that - if I can deal successfully with that - it appears to be pretty much what I need.  It appears to create a three tiered hierarchical folder structure consisting of Cabinets, Drawers, and Folders.  Break them out as you see fit, and then you can place documents in them directly from Microsoft Office (it integrates with Office programs), or convert any other documents - scanned or simply sitting in other folders - into PDF or TIFF files and stores copies of them also.

I'm setting up a test database with DocsVault and I'll write it up later.

Thanks.

Jim

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version