ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

A Simple Database Program? (Or is that an Oxymoron itself?!)

<< < (6/7) > >>

tomos:
BTW the name will change... any suggestions?-PPLandry (November 01, 2007, 09:28 AM)
--- End quote ---

DatNote - only joking really ... but maybe it's not that bad  :-\ !!
(where I grew up people say "de pub" or "what's dat" ..)

tinjaw:
BTW the name will change... any suggestions?
-PPLandry (November 01, 2007, 09:28 AM)
--- End quote ---
QueryNotes
Data-at-Hand
It'sInThere
It'sInHere

tomos:
Dante sounds poetic but probably doesnt get any message across..

exists of course
http://www.google.de/search?q=Dante+software&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

J-Mac:
I don't have to install am SQL database app or server?  Are you sure it isn't included in the setup for SQL Notes?-J-Mac (November 01, 2007, 02:30 AM)
--- End quote ---
SQL in the name refers to the powerful search/filter that is built-in SQLNotes. The back-end database could be anything. Currrently use JET because it is installed on every PC and it does the job. Plus Office apps can readily link to SQLNotes data without installing a separate ODBC link. (Each grid in SN is visible to any ODBC enabled app -- Word for mail-merge, e-mail-merge, Excel, Access, etc) It is therefore easy to share SN data with users that don't have it.

BTW the name will change... any suggestions?
-PPLandry (November 01, 2007, 09:28 AM)
--- End quote ---

Thanks PPLandry.  As I mentioned somewhere recently (probably up in this thread a bit), I installed another app a few years ago on my other PC called Encore Pro by Respironics - it's a database utility specific to certain medical equipment - CPAP machines to be precise - and it uses an MSSQL database for storing data. Now the program was designed for hospital/clinic use originally, so maybe what they are doing is not standard on personal PCs, but the MSSQL database was installed as a service and is running all the time. This occasionally causes some burps in that PC's system.  Like other programs or maybe drivers or DLs that cause conflicts with MSSQL. Also, I think I remember some issues involving my changing the behavior of another service to suit some program or another and here the MSSQL server was configured to use that particular service as a dependency. Of course this was all unknown at that time and since Windows is notorious for dropping little cryptic event IDs in the Event Viewer - the kind that are completely rendered in Hex or Binary or whatever the heck it is that Windows does so often.  You wouldn't believe the kind of frustrating troubleshooting I have had to perform - and I'm not exactly conversant in those languages.

Glad to hear that SQLNotes does NOT do anything like that. I think it's just the name of the application - with those scary SQL letters - that had me a little overly cautious.

Needless to say I am wary of programs that install such services that seem to be designed purely for the amusement of the developers, who have a good laugh whenever they think of what I am doing at any given moment... (Hey...D'ya think he has any hair left by now... Hahahahah)!

Which is, by the way, an excellent reason to change the name!!  I notice that most suggestions are leaning toward the "Notes" features.  Since you posted in the other thread about its great database/document tracking or managing capabilities, you may want to name it in a way that encompasses the notes AND data management functions.  Of course that depends on what aspect(s) of the application you prefer to market it as.

DataNotes?

DocuNotes?

NoteTracker?

NoteBase?

Notability?

SuperNotes?

TracNotes?

(OK, OK....someone stop me before it's too late!!)

Thanks again, all!

Jim

PPLandry:
Jim wrotebut the MSSQL database was installed as a service and is running all the time. This occasionally causes some burps in that PC's system.
--- End quote ---
You know how to prevent SQLServer from starting automatically at startup don't you? Admin>Services, ...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version