ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Opening apps in a multi-monitor setup

(1/3) > >>

lanux128:
i want to kind of gather feedback & ideas from regular users of multi-monitors for some of my queries on this matter..

1. with the extended desktop dimension, what can be done about apps opening off-screen or on the other monitor, instead of the primary monitor?
2. sometimes, i place some windows on the 2nd monitor & the apps remember the settings which is fine, until i disable the 2nd monitor (for gaming purposes) then the apps appear off-screen again. can a program be trained to check the availability of the monitor before coming into view?
3. finally, what are the tools you use to enhance the multi-monitor experience? i know of only two - MultiMon Taskbar and UltraMon.. :)

jgpaiva:
3. finally, what are the tools you use to enhance the multi-monitor experience? i know of only two - MultiMon Taskbar and UltraMon.. :)
-lanux128 (October 28, 2007, 11:19 PM)
--- End quote ---
GridMove! GridMove! GridMove! :P

Ralf Maximus:
GridMove! GridMove! GridMove!

--- End quote ---

GridMove, you say?

justice:
Let me answer that in reverse order:
3. I used to use ultramon but now I don't use any app. I didn't want to pay for it so I discontinued use, so now I just have a doubleheight taskbar to make the space.
2. I think point one is a result of point two, why do you disable the second monitor? I can play games fine on the dual monitor setup here, the game uses the primary monitor and I can check IMs on monitor two. If you no longer disable the monitor, then all programs generally will open where you want it. ;)
1. see above.

mwb1100:
1. with the extended desktop dimension, what can be done about apps opening off-screen or on the other monitor, instead of the primary monitor?
-lanux128 (October 28, 2007, 11:19 PM)
--- End quote ---

I used to have a laptop configuration that included a second monitor when docked.  There were a fair number of applications that would reopen on the non-existant 2nd monitor when I was undocked.  Annoying to say the least.  I didn't look for a software solution (I imagine one exists somewhere); my solution was to:

* open a bug with the software's vendor
* until the bug was fixed (if ever), I would move the invisible window to the visible monitor by using Alt-Spacebar-M, which is the standard 'Move' menu option for a window.  Then using the arrow keys and/or the mouse I could usually get the window back on screen.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version