Welcome Guest.   Make a donation to an author on the site October 25, 2014, 10:23:41 AM  *

Please login or register.
Or did you miss your validation email?

Login with username and password (forgot your password?)
Why not become a lifetime supporting member of the site with a one-time donation of any amount? Your donation entitles you to a ton of additional benefits, including access to exclusive discounts and downloads, the ability to enter monthly free software drawings, and a single non-expiring license key for all of our programs.

You must sign up here before you can post and access some areas of the site. Registration is totally free and confidential.

Read the Practical Guide to DonationCoder.com Forum Search Features

Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Opening apps in a multi-monitor setup  (Read 8181 times)
lanux128
Global Moderator

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« on: October 28, 2007, 11:19:52 PM »

i want to kind of gather feedback & ideas from regular users of multi-monitors for some of my queries on this matter..

1. with the extended desktop dimension, what can be done about apps opening off-screen or on the other monitor, instead of the primary monitor?
2. sometimes, i place some windows on the 2nd monitor & the apps remember the settings which is fine, until i disable the 2nd monitor (for gaming purposes) then the apps appear off-screen again. can a program be trained to check the availability of the monitor before coming into view?
3. finally, what are the tools you use to enhance the multi-monitor experience? i know of only two - MultiMon Taskbar and UltraMon.. smiley

jgpaiva
Global Moderator

Artificial Idiocy

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2007, 05:38:28 AM »

3. finally, what are the tools you use to enhance the multi-monitor experience? i know of only two - MultiMon Taskbar and UltraMon.. smiley
GridMove! GridMove! GridMove! tongue

Ralf Maximus
Supporting Member

View Profile Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2007, 08:31:00 AM »

GridMove, you say?
justice
Supporting Member

Solve issues simply.

View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2007, 10:50:21 AM »

Let me answer that in reverse order:
3. I used to use ultramon but now I don't use any app. I didn't want to pay for it so I discontinued use, so now I just have a doubleheight taskbar to make the space.
2. I think point one is a result of point two, why do you disable the second monitor? I can play games fine on the dual monitor setup here, the game uses the primary monitor and I can check IMs on monitor two. If you no longer disable the monitor, then all programs generally will open where you want it. Wink
1. see above.

mwb1100
Supporting Member

View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2007, 12:40:54 PM »

1. with the extended desktop dimension, what can be done about apps opening off-screen or on the other monitor, instead of the primary monitor?

I used to have a laptop configuration that included a second monitor when docked.  There were a fair number of applications that would reopen on the non-existant 2nd monitor when I was undocked.  Annoying to say the least.  I didn't look for a software solution (I imagine one exists somewhere); my solution was to:

• open a bug with the software's vendor
  • until the bug was fixed (if ever), I would move the invisible window to the visible monitor by using Alt-Spacebar-M, which is the standard 'Move' menu option for a window.  Then using the arrow keys and/or the mouse I could usually get the window back on screen.
lanux128
Global Moderator

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2007, 07:15:46 PM »

thanks for the replies, sorry jgpaiva, it didn't occur to me that GridMove would be useful in a multi-monitor setup too and maybe this thread can be used to collect all possible multi-monitor tools.. smiley

as for justice's points, even though some games work ok but other games & educational programs insist assiduously on a single monitor. and also like mwb1100, i'd prefer a docking type of system because sometimes my wife or kids use the pc and i didn't want the dual-monitor to be overwhelming..

mwb1100, i thought of emailing devs too about support for multi-monitors but that would be a crusade and i haven't the energy for that.. tongue btw, i also use the Alt+Space+M combo for the time being..

PhilB66
Supporting Member

View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2007, 08:24:33 PM »

Nvidia's nView or ATI's Hydravision if you have the card.
tinjaw
Supporting Member

I'm so glad breakbeat techno isn't an illegal drug

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2007, 08:28:28 PM »

I can't believe nobody has mentioned GridMove.  Wink

lanux128
Global Moderator

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2007, 09:52:27 PM »

I can't believe nobody has mentioned GridMove.  Wink
right up there, mentioned twice in fact.. smiley

J-Mac
Supporting Member

see users location on a map View Profile Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2007, 12:41:28 AM »

I used Ultramon for a while here, but it had some conflicts with Nvidia's NView - even when I disabled NView.  Not sure if they were battling over DLLs, or some other registry conflict, but it could get pretty hairy when they did collide.  Since I don't know how to completely get rid of NView, like Justice I didn't want to spend the money for Ultramon and find I couldn't resolve the conflicts.

I'm presently battling "Full Screen Video on Secondary Display" problems here also.  Driving me crazier than I already am!  (All video properly plays full-screen on the second monitor as desired, but if I minimize the app playing the video it switches to full-screen on the main monitor -- and I can't get back to anything else on the main monitor - requires a push of the "Reset" button, crashing all that was open. I am wondering if it all worthwhile!)

Thanks!

Jim

"I am getting so tired of slitting the throats of people who say that I am a violent psychopath."
lanux128
Global Moderator

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2007, 01:23:52 AM »

i think there are documented cases of conflicts between nView & Ultramon and also i found nView quite lacking so haven't tried it yet.. but your account of full-screen video is quite frightening, i'm might try to see what happens on my pc, what media player are you using?

J-Mac
Supporting Member

see users location on a map View Profile Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2007, 01:39:28 AM »

i think there are documented cases of conflicts between nView & Ultramon and also i found nView quite lacking so haven't tried it yet.. but your account of full-screen video is quite frightening, i'm might try to see what happens on my pc, what media player are you using?
Several - WMP11, Nero, Applian's FLV Player, or even if I have my security camera views up on my monitor. That's a good example:

My security cams have a screen that has four shots at once, or you can view one cam in a larger window with the other three in smaller blocks, or one at a time. It is also showing full-screen on my other display - and that monitor apparently can't handle this video as it keeps flashing and blinking rapidly. First time I had that open I minimized the camera viewer application on my main monitor and all of a sudden the full-screen disappeared on the second monitor and appeared on the main monitor - and I couldn't get rid of it! Can't restore to a smaller window, can't minimize it again, can't Alt-Tab out of it -- nothing gets it off the screen till I reset the PC.

I haven't been able to make any progress with this. Frustrating!!

Jim

"I am getting so tired of slitting the throats of people who say that I am a violent psychopath."
yksyks
Supporting Member

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2007, 03:44:30 AM »

Force Window Visible is a simple free utility that helps in the worst cases of off-screen apps. It saved me a lot of times.

http://www.compendiumdev....uk/forcedisplay/index.php
cranioscopical
Friend of the Site
Supporting Member

« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2007, 01:17:32 PM »

Force Window Visible is a simple free utility that helps in the worst cases of off-screen apps. It saved me a lot of times.

http://www.compendiumdev....uk/forcedisplay/index.php
Thanks, yksyks, that's a good one to know about.

Chris
lanux128
Global Moderator

« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2007, 07:59:38 PM »

J-Mac: i don't seem have the problem that you mentioned (touch-wood!), maybe it's card-specific? btw, mine is nVidia 7600GT.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  
   Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  

DonationCoder.com | About Us
DonationCoder.com Forum | Powered by SMF
[ Page time: 0.045s | Server load: 0.28 ]