ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Extended Download Protection Plans? A waste of money?

(1/3) > >>

Josh:
I just noticed in my latest splurge of purchasing software for my palm pilot, that most of these programs offer a service which allows you download protection. Essentially, they store the product you purchase so you can download it up to twelve months later. Am I the only one that finds this service to be totally and completely worthless? I mean, they charge anywhere from two to fifteen dollars additional for this "protection". Is there ever a need for such a service? I really don't see it.

Someone, please, help me understand.

mouser:
Another outrageous scam targeted at people who don't know any better.
I would avoid purchasing anything from such companies if at all possible.

Josh:
I am still trying to think of a situation in which this would be useful. About the ONLY WAY I could see this being useful is if the company goes defunct (ala GemX) and stops offering the download.

I wish these scams would be publicly denounced so people could be educated and aware of such BS.

zridling:
This is the "sucker" option. I'm wondering who actually ever buys this. Like when you buy a TV and the cashier asks, "Would you like to buy 3-year extended warranty today?" ....No, if it doesn't work, you'll exchange it, right? Right?

I thought so.

Josh:
An extended warranty for a TV I can understand. It saved my father over 2 grand with two failed tubes in his old big screen. I purchased a similar one for my LCD which covers a failed LCD through normal wear and tear.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version