topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Monday March 18, 2024, 10:51 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Coders' Watches  (Read 26178 times)

Mark0

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mark's home
    • Donate to Member
Coders' Watches
« on: October 28, 2007, 12:37 PM »
And now for something completely different! :D

Just out of curiosity: what kind of watch did you wear usually/now?

Personally, I always had inexpensive digital watches. There were always a new low-end Casio whenever the last one stopping functioning - usually because the battery reached the end of his life, and a new cheap watch's cost was about the same as a new battery.
For me a watch is just a tool, and I think that if I had a more expensive one on my wrist I would always be worried about scratching it, damaging it and so on.  :o :(

I bought my last watch 3 weeks ago, and got someting a bit better. I had this fascination with radio controlled / atomic clock synced watches, so after some researches on line, I end up with one from the G-Shock like of Casio. This way, I still haven't to worry about destroying it, since it can resist to a good amount of physical stress! :) Since I don't like watches that are too big, this is also the thinner of the line. As a bonus it have an accumulator that is continuously recharged trough a photovoltaic cell, so hopefully there will be no worries about dead batteries.

Here it is: Casio G-Shock GW056A-1V - A batter pic here.

Another interesting watch - from a coder point of view - would be a Timex Datalink USB, since you can code things for it in Assembly. There's a lot of documentations around, including a Yahoo Groups of developers, additional tools, etc.  :Thmbsup:

Another thing: watches prices here in Italy - at least for this brand - were about 2x to witch I end up paying for this, trough a eBay shop from Germany (the watch off course is brand new, with perfectly sealed packagin, warranty, et all)!!  :o

What's about your watch?

Bye!
« Last Edit: October 28, 2007, 12:40 PM by Mark0 »

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Coders' Watches
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2007, 01:16 PM »
Heh, program your wristwatch in assembly? Sounds like overkill :)

I haven't used wristwatches for several years, I've used my cellphone instead - almost always have it on me. I don't even use a normal alarm clock either these days, my Sony-Ericsson K750i is a lot more effective since it can play back MP3s... nothing like Dimmu Borgir: Purithanical Euphoric Misanthropia: Sympozium to get me started in the morning ;)

But if I used a watch, it would be an inexpensive, small, neutral-looking digitla watch.

We've had at least one thread about watches in the past, btw :)
- carpe noctem

Mark0

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mark's home
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2007, 01:33 PM »
nothing like Dimmu Borgir: Purithanical Euphoric Misanthropia: Sympozium to get me started in the morning ;)

;D ;D :D

We've had at least one thread about watches in the past, btw :)
Ops! Didn't see that. Maybe a mod can move / split this one to that.

Bye!

Ralf Maximus

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2007, 02:30 PM »
The other thread looks like a generic "look at these cool/complicated watches" discussion.

This thread could be about programmers' wristwatches and the very special geeks who love them.  Or something.

Most developers I know have $10 watches, if they wear one at all.  It's just not important -- their computer knows what time it is, and they're usually in direct line of sight.

Another class of developers -- I'll call them the Rockstars -- act like the project exists as a showcase for their talent.  They always have the most expensive/complicated toys, and fight over who has the best workstation in the office.  Their wristwatches cost thousands of dollars, are built using exotic materials like magnesium and depleted uranium, and sport names like Tag Heuer, Ebel, Weil, and Oris.  They won't have diamonds, but WILL be certified to work at the bottom of the Mariana Trench and absorb g-forces that would kill a space shuttle.  One guy I knew had three uber-watches and wore them in rotation.  What?  So as to not wear them out??

Incidently, these guys often have very expensive cars.  One day when returning from lunch we walked through the parking lot and started counting Rockstar cars: Porsche, Mercedes, Porsche, Supra, NSX, Porsche.  How could you tell them apart from the other expensive cars in the parking lot, the ones driven by the top-floor mega-executives?

Easy!  The developers' cars were almost always filthy dirty.  The executives' cars were recently washed.  Leave it to a programmer to buy a $90,000 sports car and never wash it.

Back on topic.  My current watch?  A $39 Casio G-Shock solar/atomic. 

Solar atomic batteries to speed!.jpg

And yes, if it were launched on shuttle Atlantis and crashed into the Mariana Trench it would continue to keep dead-accurate time.  Until the lack of sunlight starved it...

Mark0

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mark's home
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2007, 02:42 PM »
Here are a couple of links about the Timex Datalink USB:

Datalink Wristapps - Virtual Datalink - Lots of tools & info, including a Virtual watch with debugger!
GlennMoller.com - Timex Data Link USB Watch #T5C291 - A review on a blog, with lots of photos

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2007, 02:44 PM »
like f0dder, my mobile phone serves as a mobile clock 'n' stuff and alarm clock if need be - sometimes i even talk to people with it - incredible, but true.

used to have a cheap analogue wristwatch - but it's too much trouble to put it on - i ain't got time for all that messing about - i'm a busy man.

tinjaw

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2007, 03:48 PM »
I have two Timex Ironman DataLinks. I wear one 24/7.

Ralf Maximus

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2007, 04:31 PM »
BTW, did I mention?

That image of my watch up there is ACTUAL SIZE.

Lashiec

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2007, 04:34 PM »
Man, a programmable watch. Geeky! ;D

The one below is my Casio watch, bought in a budget to replace another Casio, which didn't live to its water resistance claims :P. It has the usual functions, but it works pretty good and looks more elegant than my old digital watches.

Capture-1.jpgCoders' Watches

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2007, 08:09 PM »
I usually can't stand any kind jewelry. Watches, necklaces, bracelets. I don't have any.

The only thing I have is my wedding ring.  :Thmbsup:

EDIT: Though I've wanted this watch just for the geek factor for a few years:

« Last Edit: October 28, 2007, 08:12 PM by Deozaan »

Laughing Man

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • V for Viktor
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2007, 10:24 PM »
I use my cell phone now. But I do have a nice watch (battery died) that my parents gave me a while back. I want to get one of those USB watches though.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2007, 11:20 PM »
I picked up a cheap watch at Narita airport last year on my way to the US. It was quite plain but had all the numbers in traditional Chinese, and was very attractive. Unfortunately the cheap band gave out and finally broke. I haven't replaced it so my 'watch' is now my phone, a Samsung SPH v9900:

Samsung-sph-v9900-1.jpg

Now isn't that much prettier? :D
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2007, 01:00 PM »
*sigh*

watch.jpg

:Thmbsup:
The geek part? It uses a battery  :o
Oh, and I hacked it.
That is, I took off the lame necklace clip thingamajig and replaced it with a leather snap belt loop.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2007, 01:05 PM by Edvard »

Ehtyar

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2007, 03:05 PM »
I cop a lot of flack from my fellow geeks for wearing a watch 24/7. It is a seiko chronograph which was given as an 18th birthday present from dad, but i can't find a picture of it. It has a blue face with red hands.

Ehtyar.

Ralf Maximus

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2007, 03:24 PM »
I too wear mine 24/7, but the reason is simple. 

If I take it off, I forget to put it back on.  Or worse, where I left it...

CWuestefeld

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2007, 05:01 PM »
Ummm. Don't you take it off in the shower at least, so you can clean underneath it? Eeewww.

And what about during ... ummm ... romantic moments?  ;)

Ralf Maximus

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2007, 05:37 PM »
Ummm. Don't you take it off in the shower at least, so you can clean underneath it? Eeewww.

I take it off to shower, unless I'm in a hurry.

Don't need to worry about it.  I'm married!  [badda-boom!]

Lashiec

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2007, 05:42 PM »
So it was actually true that the number decreases. Hmmm, one more reason to not get married ;D
« Last Edit: October 31, 2007, 11:45 AM by Lashiec »

Ehtyar

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2007, 08:18 PM »

If I take it off, I forget to put it back on.  Or worse, where I left it...
Ditto.
I guess you got me there.
I clean it in the shower, but as soon as I'm done it goes straight back on.

Ehtyar.

tinjaw

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2007, 08:27 PM »
Mine is on 24x7 because of my ADD. I have dozens of alarms set. Most people would consider it absurd, but if I don't I get in trouble. For example in the morning, I have alarms to keep me on schedule. If I ignore them, I am late for work. If I ignore them I can log in to "just check me email" and zone out for 30 minutes and not realize it.

05:00 WAKE UP!
05:10 Take Dog Out
05:30 Shower
05:50 Get Dressed
06:00 Start Commute

I have alarms to take my meds, Dr's appts, eating, get off the computer and get ready for bed, brushing my teeth, etc.

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2007, 01:14 PM »
Real watch geeks should go here as well...

http://watchismo.blogspot.com/

invention-P1.jpg

housetier

• Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2007, 04:28 AM »
My cell phone has a clock, so I don't wear one on my wrist. I haven't worn one for over ten years. These days, whereever I go I have a clock in sight (I live in Berlin, not in the country :D ).

Now if there was a watch with PDA and phone thingie and whatnot -just like in The Spirits Within- then I would surely be tempted :)

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2007, 07:28 PM »
Man... I feel absolutely NAKED without a watch on my wrist (and if I forget to throw on a belt when I am wearing my shirt tucked in with pants (sorry for those of you smirking in Europe: trousers) I come unglued!).

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2007, 12:09 AM »
I have a $40 (most I ever paid for a watch) timex digital thing somewhere with a super strong hand crocheted cotton band. I lived in it till the battery died, making a new band for it about once every 6 months.

Haven't got around to replacing the battery so I am currently using a keychain pocket watch attached to one of those mountain climber hooks, that I can't seem to properly photograph without an incredible amount of glare that makes it impossible to see the face.

There is nothing amazing or geeky about either watch, unless you stop to consider that crocheting is a lot like coding in asm.  :)

I own a lot of crazy looking watches, most with dead batteries. I never bother to replace batteries in a watch unless I really like it. I kind of miss my timex, so maybe I'll try to figure out where I put it and get a new battery for it soon.

I am another one that is the type to wear a watch 24/7...taking it off only to shower, clean the watch, or make a new band for it...and yes, I wear it even during...ummm...romantic moments. (It's not that much different than wearing one of those cotton sailor's knot bracelets that shrink to fit your wrist and is impossible to remove unless you cut it.)

Ralf Maximus

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2007, 06:59 AM »
How on earth do you fasten a crocheted band?  Or does it slip over your wrist?

Pix pls k thx.