ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Genuinely stupid laws - that still APPLY !!

<< < (5/5)

CWuestefeld:
I bumped into this blog posting today:

All Laws are Stupid, But Some Laws are Stupider Than Others
The votes are in. The Top 10 most stupid British laws:

1. It is illegal to die in the Houses of Parliament (27 percent)

5. In Scotland, if someone knocks on your door and requires the use of your toilet, you must let them enter (four percent)

My personal favorites:

3. In Liverpool, it is illegal for a woman to be topless except as a clerk in a tropical fish store (six percent)

6. A pregnant woman can legally relieve herself anywhere she wants,
    including in a policeman's helmet (four percent)

I'm totally seeking a pregnant clerk in a tropical fish store in Liverpool to date. Are you out there?
--- End quote ---
http://www.tothepeople.com/2007/11/all-laws-are-stupid-but-some-laws-are.html

Darwin:
I imagine tropical fish stores are very popular in Liverpool... well, always have a lot of men "eye" shopping (as they say in Korea)!

Deozaan:
This is (basically) what Carol linked to in the first post.

I bumped into this blog posting today:

All Laws are Stupid, But Some Laws are Stupider Than Others
The votes are in. The Top 10 most stupid British laws:

1. It is illegal to die in the Houses of Parliament (27 percent)

5. In Scotland, if someone knocks on your door and requires the use of your toilet, you must let them enter (four percent)

My personal favorites:

3. In Liverpool, it is illegal for a woman to be topless except as a clerk in a tropical fish store (six percent)

6. A pregnant woman can legally relieve herself anywhere she wants,
    including in a policeman's helmet (four percent)

I'm totally seeking a pregnant clerk in a tropical fish store in Liverpool to date. Are you out there?
--- End quote ---
http://www.tothepeople.com/2007/11/all-laws-are-stupid-but-some-laws-are.html

-CWuestefeld (November 08, 2007, 11:04 AM)
--- End quote ---

Darwin:
Now how'd I miss those last two lines?  ;D

app103:
No one breaks that law in NJ so far as I know. It's a 'make work' thing for (otherwise unemployable) gas attendants. They would come down on you like a ton of bricks if you tried to pump your own. A fate far more serious than dealing with local law enforcement!!
-BigJim (November 07, 2007, 08:27 AM)
--- End quote ---

The irony in the fact that NJ has that gas pumping law is that we have some of the lowest gas prices in the country. You would think that the fact they have to hire someone to pump it would mean higher prices, but it doesn't.

When the idea to get rid of that law came up, lowering the prices even more was one of the suggested benefits, but it was shown by the prices in other states that this wouldn't be the case and actually the opposite would occur because the insurance rates of gas stations would increase due to the fact that ordinary people pumping gas is considered a greater risk of a mishap.

There was also another argument against repealing that law: Gas pumps are now required to carry a cancer health warning label similar to cigarette packs. So they figure that people that are willing to work in a gas station do so by choice, and therefore they assume the risk of cancer associated with exposure to gasoline and its vapors, willingly. The consumer being forced to pump their own gas wouldn't have such a choice, except to give up driving in order to protect their health.

NJ isn't the only state with that law. Oregon is another place where you can't pump your own gas. So weird going there, getting out of your car, then seeing some guy run up to you and ask for your credit cards. ;D
-Deozaan (November 07, 2007, 02:56 PM)
--- End quote ---

Incidentally, many gas stations here require you to get out of your car and go inside the convenience store they run to pay first, before the guy outside will pump the gas for you, especially after dark. They don't want attendants to have any cash on their person while working. Less risk of a monetary loss due to some drive-by holdup where the thieves don't feel like getting out of their car and having their faces picked up by cameras as they go inside to hold the place up.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version