ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Looking for finance app

<< < (13/14) > >>

nogojoe:
Money 2006 is gone, Quicken 2006 is here! Quicken blew my mind... it's nothing like Money. Far more customizable, extremely user-friendly, tons of tools, very nice interface, powerful... it's rather amazing. I'm thinking about buying it already.. and I've only played with it today. I just need the Deluxe version. Even that one, the most basic Quicken, comes with more features than I'll ever use.

Does anyone know if they offer student discounts?

Thanks!
-moerl (October 02, 2005, 06:51 PM)
--- End quote ---

Methinks that Micosoft bought out Quicken a few years ago when Money couldn’t foot it with Quicken.

nogojoe:
I'd like to revisit this thread. I have used Quicken and MS Money in the past. I still have a copy of MS Money 2005. I haven't used either for over a year. I want to start the new year off right.

I don't want to use Quicken or Money because the number one aggravation I had was that the software did 1,001 things and I only wanted to use 10 of them. I had to put up with all these fricken menu items and tabs and wizards and crap. I found it aggravating and I already have
enough to be aggravated about when it comes to money.-tinjaw (December 29, 2007, 06:25 AM)
--- End quote ---

Stick with Quicken

Hi Tinjaw

May be if you open up your account in Quicken and then do as follows (from Quicken help)

Normally, Quicken reopens the same windows you were using when you exited Quicken. However, you can make Quicken remember a specific set of windows to reopen.

To save a specific set of windows for your desktop:

1   Arrange your desktop the way you want Quicken to remember it.
2   Choose Edit menu > Options > Desktop.
3   Select Save Current Desktop, and click OK.
   To return to the normal setting, where Quicken remembers a new version of your desktop every time you exit, choose Save Desktop on Exit instead.

It bypasses everything and goes straight to the account you want.

There is a lot of surplus stuff on starting up but all that can be eliminated by various means

nogojoe

Deozaan:
You Need a Budget is software in the likes of MS Money and Quicken, except it actually does something right that these other two "expensive" applications don't: It helps you budget.

Quicken and MS Money usually are just about tracking your expenditures. You log how much money comes in and where it goes out, but it doesn't help you plan and budget. It's more like just balancing your checkbook.

You Need a Budget has some guidelines to help you stop living paycheck to paycheck, make an effective budget, and actually makes it very easy to deal with emergencies or accidentally going over your budget.

As with most useful financial things: It's not a quick solution. It takes a change in behavior for it to really be effective. I just found out about it 4 days ago, so I'm not very far into it myself, but it all sounds like very good advice and I plan on making it a part of my life as soon as possible.

Check out the website at You Need a Budget.com and be sure to read the main page, especially the 4 rules.

MrCrispy:
I have a rant against online banking - I have an account with Wells Fargo and tried to set it up so that Quicken would download transactions automatically. It gave me 2 choices - Direcy Connect and Web Connect and I chose Direct since it was more powerful. i was then told that I needed a special pin to access it and was directed to an online page to get the pin.

Well I thought this was just like registering for online banking and filled it out. It was only upon reading closely that I find its a paid service, $3/pm!! I then call them and they won't even let me cancel it till my 'application' is processed, at which time I will have to call again or get billed.

I know it is my fault for not doing due diligence but IMO both the software and the website  should have given me bold warnings that this was not free and made me agree to disclaimers. I also hate the trend that banks nickel and dime for everything e.g they will not let you download account history for more than x months.

MrCrispy:
momonan, do you know of any website which has Quicken tips/guides for new users. I have just started using it and it is pretty overwhelming.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version