topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Wednesday April 24, 2024, 11:53 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Seeking Website Feedback for kid's product  (Read 5694 times)

icekin

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • icekin.com Technology,Computers and the Internet
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Seeking Website Feedback for kid's product
« on: October 28, 2007, 03:52 AM »
I started working with a company that created a experiment kit for kids a while back. I made the website and helped design part of the product. Please give your feedback on the site and product. Positive comments and criticism is both welcome.

Main Site - http://www.yaxpert.com
Product Page - http://www.yaxpert.com/enviromanya

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
Re: Seeking Website Feedback for kid's product
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2007, 05:56 AM »
The one piece of criticism that i have is that the images could be more professional.. 
I know it sounds trivial but in the modern day these things sort of jump out at people and can lead to a snap judgement about whether a site is professional or not.

I would try adding drop shadows to them, and see if you cant make the stuff on the right look a little more professional, while still being fun for kids.

tinjaw

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2007, 06:24 AM »
I am not the target audience, so I am not sure my opinion is of much use, but I think the site looks nice. It is easy to navigate and find the info. And the product looks great. I'm going to mention it to the school teacher friends of mine.  :Thmbsup:

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2007, 11:06 AM »
Hi icekin,

I admire your technical  ability to put together a website!

Asking for comment always turns up some criticism, at least it does in my case when my own efforts are reviewed.  So, please don't be offended by the following remarks.
Since you asked, the site seems rather 'flat', a bit clinical.
I'm no designer, so I can't suggest how to energize things, but I do know I'd pass on this one if looking for investment potential. 
To me, if a site seems low-key it implies (rightly or wrongly) a lacklustre marketing/management approach (and perhaps, in this case, a lack of synergy with the ultimate consumer -- most kids I know like more enthusiasm).
Have you any pictures of kids enjoying or showing enthusiastic interest in the product?

I hope  the project turns out well for you!

icekin

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • icekin.com Technology,Computers and the Internet
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2007, 04:31 PM »
Thanks to everyone who has given the feedback so far. A major problem has been that I am a coder, not a designer. Art was a subject I struggled to pass at school. And I always prefer function over form, if something looks neat and works, I normally see no reason to fix it unless I can make it faster somehow.

Heck, even my computer is highly minimalistic. Plain desktop, no pretty effects. I definitely do realize that kids needs a more visually appealing website. But my company doesn't quite have the budget for a designer either.

cranioscopical, do you have any suggestions on where I might be able to get free pictures of energetic kids? I find plenty of Creative Commons and Open Source images, but I would technically prefer something public domain so that I can modify without having to attribute the author below every image.

I am planning to make the changes in December, probably after my exams, but it would help to collect ideas and materials in advance!

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2007, 05:17 PM »
cranioscopical, do you have any suggestions on where I might be able to get free pictures of energetic kids? I find plenty of Creative Commons and Open Source images, but I would technically prefer something public domain so that I can modify without having to attribute the author below every image.

icekin, I'm in the same boat as you, try http://www.sxc.hu/ ("Welcome to Stock.XCHNG, the leading FREE stock photo site!") but attributions aren't really what you want on a professional site.

Just a suggestion, in your shoes I'd grab a digital camera and some product and try the local school/nephews-nieces/neighbours' kids. If the results aren't good enough, perhaps if you 'borrowed' a couple of lively good-looking kids and took them with some product to a local professional photographer you might find the investment well worth it. A professional is likely to get the product placement right.

Good luck!