ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

opera 9.5 beta out

<< < (4/6) > >>

nontroppo:
Well, IIXII will be able to log an EIP pointer to the crash and I can forward it to the correct developer. Note there is another tool for the hardcore bug hunter:

http://people.opera.com/axel/memguara.exe - this is the kestrel version
http://people.opera.com/axel/memguard.htm

MemGuard is a full replacement for Opera.exe plus extra memory guarding features to complement Inspector IIXII. It ensures that any kind of bad memory access, e.g. dangling pointers or buffer overruns, will cause an immediate crash, instead of causing random crashers and thus useless crash logs potentially minutes later. Furthermore, random or hard-to-reproduce crashers will become reproducible. Try to always use MemGuard when creating crash logs. MemGuard also detects memory leaks and provides a way to analyse runtime memory usage.
--- End quote ---

Axel has quite an interesting story. He was an Opera user and assembly programmer. When he didn't like a feature or want a new one he would dissasemble and reverse engineer Opera and patch it to do what he wanted. Opera realised his talents and offered to pay him to do the same thing ;-)

urlwolf:
Behold ... menguara.exe actually lasted about 2-3 seconds before crashing (23/23495 in the progress bar!).

Now I have a log. Where do I send it to?
If you know the correct developer, should I send it to you? Note: PMs do not allow attachemnts.

Thanks!

urlwolf:
Bug 294331, submitted.

justice:
Wow that looks like a great tool. Does anyone else get crashes from Quicktime? Video's that crash look garbled (in purple) just before opera crashes due to quicktime. I've seen it happen on another machine with Internet explorer so it's not Opera but it's relaly annoying.

nontroppo:
urlwolf: great, I suspect it will be fixed in the next build ;-)

justice: memguard won't pick up crashes with plugins, only with Opera itself (and plugins can make it look if the brower crashes as they run inside its process -- they can also make a browser appear to use lots of memory when it isn't). Note, Kestrel is building in some kind of enhanced plugin crash protection to stop them pulling the browser down with them...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version