topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 3:38 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: IDEA: MP3 player with copy/move feature  (Read 15703 times)

wetsmellydog

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
IDEA: MP3 player with copy/move feature
« on: October 26, 2007, 11:56 AM »
When I am making compilation disks of my music to listen to in the car, sometimes I will play the songs before I copy them to make sure I like them or I am not tired of listening to it.

What I would like is a MP3 player with a button that would allow the user to move or copy the music being played to another directory.

The player just needs to play/skip/stop/copy/move MP3s. No other features needed.

Thanks!

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: IDEA: MP3 player with copy/move feature
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2007, 12:44 PM »
There are quite a few file explorers that have the preview function, i think that'd be the perfect solution.
Here are 2 options: www.gpsoft.com or www.xyplorer.com
Sorry, both of those are payware (but if you don't have one of them, you should have anyways :P), but i'm sure there are free alternatives!

wetsmellydog

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2007, 05:50 PM »
What I want to do is select a bunch of mp3 songs. Listen to them and then sort them by being able to click a button to copy the song being played to another predefined directory.

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2007, 07:57 PM »
Here's how that could be done with XYplorer:
You open 2 tabs, one with the initial folder and one with the folder where you'd like to move the songs. Then, open the preview tab and when you select one, it starts playing. If you'd like to have that on the other directory, drag and drop it to the other tab.

I bet there should bet some program out there that'd do this in less steps.

nosh

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2007, 08:06 PM »
Using Foobar2000 you can drag and drop songs to (another/several other) tabs - you can then select several/all songs under a tab and run a file operation like copy or move on them. Just to clarify, tabs are basically playlists and when you drag-drop a song it's replicated on the target playlist.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2007, 08:14 PM by nosh »

wetsmellydog

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2007, 04:16 PM »
Using Foobar2000 you can drag and drop songs to (another/several other) tabs - you can then select several/all songs under a tab and run a file operation like copy or move on them. Just to clarify, tabs are basically playlists and when you drag-drop a song it's replicated on the target playlist.

I was looking at foobar 2k but did not know if it would do what I wanted. This answers my question.

wetsmellydog

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2007, 04:18 PM »
You open 2 tabs, one with the initial folder and one with the folder where you'd like to move the songs. Then, open the preview tab and when you select one, it starts playing. If you'd like to have that on the other directory, drag and drop it to the other tab.

I could do this with any mp3 player and windows explorer but as you say, there has to be a way to do it with less steps.

Thanks again for trying to think of ways to do this "off the shelf."  :)

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2007, 09:35 PM »
when i'm creating a mix CD for my mp3 player, i use DC's own Random MixTape Maker. you can drag and drop the files from the playlist into another folder/drive..

Making "mix tapes" is as old an idea as the tape recorder itself; Random MixTape Maker was made to create a completely unique list of your favorite songs every time you use it, thus taking the hassle of searching through specific songs every time you want to make a mix of your own. Use it to make fresh mixes for your own listening pleasure, or use it to turn your friends on to your genre of music.

Random MixTape Maker

wetsmellydog

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2007, 10:34 PM »
when i'm creating a mix CD for my mp3 player, i use DC's own Random MixTape Maker. you can drag and drop the files from the playlist into another folder/drive..

Now we are on to something. If I could have a basic program that would take a group or folder of mp3 files, play them one at a time with a click of a button, (send them to windows media player would work) and then be able to click on another button to move the desired file to the desired folder, this would be what I am looking for.

I wonder if a AHK script could be used?

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2007, 10:42 PM »
what media player do you use? i'm sure winamp or foobar2000 has plugins for doing something like that..

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2007, 10:49 PM »
just found this via Google: WinAmp File Copy. it hasn't been updated for some time but it's freeware (donations encouraged)..

This program will enable you to bookmark audio files while playing them in WinAmp, in order to copy your selection to a destination directory (for example, directly to your portable MP3 Player).

It's a simple tool, but it is just doing the job... FYI: I have made this program for my colleagues (at the local radio station) in order to prepare their radio show and collect the tracks for their playlist.

wafc2.png
http://home.planet.nl/~roosiedb/wafc.htm

wetsmellydog

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2007, 10:41 PM »
just found this via Google: WinAmp File Copy. it hasn't been updated for some time but it's freeware (donations encouraged)..

lanux128  you are the MAN! :Thmbsup:

This is 95% what I am looking for. Works as advertised. A bit of clicking but no dragging and dropping.

Thanks again for looking around and finding this gem. It will save me a lot of time when I make mix cds.

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2007, 11:23 PM »
you're welcome, glad to be of help.. :)

DonL

• Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • XYplorer File Manager
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2007, 02:12 PM »

Much easier with XYplorer 6.50 (soon out): define a UDC (user-defined command) that moves selected files to your target folder, and assign a keyboard shortcut to it. If you know how to do it this one-time step takes you maybe 15 seconds. Then start your pre-listening session and hit your keyboard shortcut whenever you want to move a file. Tap, tap, tap, ... done. :)

wetsmellydog

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2007, 12:29 PM »
Much easier with XYplorer 6.50 (soon out): define a UDC (user-defined command) that moves selected files to your target folder, and assign a keyboard shortcut to it. If you know how to do it this one-time step takes you maybe 15 seconds. Then start your pre-listening session and hit your keyboard shortcut whenever you want to move a file. Tap, tap, tap, ... done. :)

Will give it a spin when it comes out.

wetsmellydog

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2008, 12:04 PM »
I wanted to let everyone know I finally found what I was looking for. Yes I have been searching ever since the post. I can finally shower and shave!  :o

I found this wonderful freeware, yes freeware program that is small, fast and simple.

It is called the Directory Player by 1by1 software http://mpesch3.de1.cc/1by1.html

Thanks again for everyone who takes the time to help out on these sometime esoteric requests.

Larry

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2008, 12:26 PM »
Thanks for the link Larry, i may just try 1by1, it sounds like the kind of mp3 player i want:
1by1 is a small, fast and handy audio player which is not only small: it provides a smart and versatile environment to handle your file collection and listen to your tracks - with no need for playlists or databases.

wetsmellydog

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2008, 01:06 PM »
Thanks for the link Larry, i may just try 1by1, it sounds like the kind of mp3 player i want:
1by1 is a small, fast and handy audio player which is not only small: it provides a smart and versatile environment to handle your file collection and listen to your tracks - with no need for playlists or databases.

I am glad someone else likes the idea. Let me know what you think after kicking the tires.