ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Post New Requests Here

IDEA: Do this First.

<< < (2/10) > >>

JennyB:
I wrote you a little something, try it out and let me know if it's close to what you want.
-Ralf Maximus (October 26, 2007, 06:51 PM)
--- End quote ---
Wow! Thanks for your quickwork, Ralf!  :Thmbsup:

Yes, it's pretty much what I wanted, except for the bug in the time calculation. It seems if you enter a date across a month boundary with the day less than today (e.g. 3/11) then it adds on a month and the same for months and years (27/1/08 gives  1 year 3 months, 2 days)

I hadn't thought of including time. Perhaps other people have ideas about time settings to either use an app for a given time or pop it up after a given time, but that seems a different snack.

If I overrun the deadline I'm going to either drop the task or reschedule, so negative time doesn't make much sense.  Ideally, I'd like Due d to be interpreted as "due that day of this month, next month if d<today" and similarly for Due d/m.

+d for "days from now" would be nice too.   8)

Apart from that, great workand thanks again!  :-*

Ralf Maximus:
Okay, maintenance build here... v1.1

Fixes:
- Date/time calculations no longer use Reverse Hungarian Notation, resulting in greater accuracy (I fixed them);

- Addressed cosmetic issues on XP whilst running with default "Balloon Animal" theme.

New Stuff:
- Using the notation "Due +d" where d is a number-of-days (e.g. "Due +45") offset now automagically calculates the date and sticks it in there for you;

- Now plays MP3 files.  Really!  Just drop one on there and double-click the icon.  But shoot, it did that before... oh well.

If I overrun the deadline I'm going to either drop the task or reschedule, so negative time doesn't make much sense.  Ideally, I'd like Due d to be interpreted as "due that day of this month, next month if d<today" and similarly for Due d/m.
-JennyB (October 27, 2007, 03:23 PM)
--- End quote ---

I'll leave the "past due" stuff as-is for now, unless you object.  Something about seeing clocks run backwards makes me happy.

I'll add the "Due d" and "Due d/m" stuff in the next release.

1. In my trial, the countdown timer is reading one hour too many although the count up from past due is OK.
-BigJim (October 27, 2007, 01:17 PM)
--- End quote ---

Feexed!  See above.

2. It would be handy if it could minimize to the Task Bar instead of only being able to minimize or close.

--- End quote ---

I'll do that too in the next build.

3. Incorporating a pop-up alarm of some kind might be a fun thing.

--- End quote ---

I thought about that, and still might do it, but... the I got the feeling from JennyB that there's not a tremendous sense of urgency about these tasks, that this was intended as a kind of an automated agenda.  If the stuff goes past due, it just gets rescheduled.

But I might do it anyway -- I'm finding I kind of like this wee thingie for my own use. :-)

BTW: It seems to save on close. So what's the need/purpose of the "Save" button?

--- End quote ---

Since this is the kind of thing that might run continuously in the background, it'd be a shame to lose your latest task twiddlings should the computer crash.  I *could* alter things so that every time the user adds/edits/removes a task the stuff gets saved... what do you think?

BTW2: A cool icon would be fun, too. DC member "ak_" seems to have a flair for this. See his File Nanny submission.

--- End quote ---

Just sent a message to ak_ pleading for help.  Thanks for the pointer!

UPDATE: Just noticed; the .exe titlebar still says "v1.0" but it's really 1.1.  D'oh!

BigJim:
Feexed!  See above.
--- End quote ---
I'm now getting only days and seconds in the countdown/up.   :'(  No hours or minutes.

Understood on reschedule of past due. But I, too, like the count up as I'm usually late on everything. Due in no small part to having similar habits to JennyB (surfing for two hours before getting down to what I'm supposed to be doing)!

Ref: Saving - I think that auto save with every entry would be the safest and easiest thing if you can do it. I love processes that help protect me from my worst enemy ... ME!

Again with rescheduling and alarms - I take your (and JennyB's) point. It might be an over kill.

Ralf Maximus:
Another build, v1.2 and this time the version number in the titlebar is correct. :-)

I'm now getting only days and seconds in the countdown/up.   :'(  No hours or minutes.
-BigJim (October 27, 2007, 09:49 PM)
--- End quote ---

I really fixed it good this time, I promise.

Ref: Saving - I think that auto save with every entry would be the safest and easiest thing if you can do it. I love processes that help protect me from my worst enemy ... ME!

--- End quote ---

Agreed; I made it so.

Also...

- Minimizes to tray now;

- "Save" button has been trashed.  (But don't worry... I recycle);

- New optional "Due d" syntax where d is a numeric day, e.g. "Due 28".  If specified day is <= today it's interpreted as next month;

- New optional "Due d/m" syntax where d/m is the month/day desired, e.g. "12/31".

BigJim:
EXTREMELY COOL BEANS  :up: :up: :)      Thanks, man !!

I think that this is going to be really useful for me. I appreciate all of your effort. Hope that JennyB is as happy with it as I.

One small point: just about all of my "To-Do's" have a time of day attached and I'm a died-in-the-wool 24 hour clock guy. It would be handy to not have to put a colon in the time to make it work.

Thanks again.
BTW: It's handy that a fraction of a day works, too e.g. 1.5 days!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version