ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Post New Requests Here

IDEA: Do this First.

(1/10) > >>

JennyB:
If you're anything like me, the first thing you do when you start the computer is to check your emails and feeds. An hour or two later, you might get something else done, if you remember what you intended to do in the first place.  :-[

I'm thinking of keeping all documents I'm currently working on in one folder, together with a text file listing the outstanding tasks to be done on each document and there due dates.

Now I need a little program that runs on startup, listing the next action needed on each document, and how long I have left to complete it.  When I select one, the document opens.

jgpaiva:
Isn't this sort of a ToDo list? Probably there are a few programs out there that already so something very similar to this.
(i'm thinking something where you can enter a note and the associate a file to it)

tomos:
I'm sure

make that I've definitely read about something similar done by somebody - using a script(?)
I think it was here - maybe in the Getting Organised Experiment - does that ring any bells for anyone?
Of course there was so much stuff linked to from there...

I've absolutely no idea what to search for but hopefully that might trigger someone's brain who has a better search/memory function than mine ?

Ralf Maximus:
I wrote you a little something, try it out and let me know if it's close to what you want.

It's called "To Do Or Die" and it's a quickie task manager with links to your documents.

Installation:
Create a new folder and unpack the zip file there. 

Operation:
Run the executable.  Once it's up, you can drag any kind of Windows-recognized document file into the main window.  Drop the file(s) there, and it'll create an entry for each.  There's a maximum of 10 items (sorry).  After you drag at least one file, you can:

- Double click the file's icon to launch it;
- Double click the file's description to edit;
- Use the up/down buttons to change priority;
- Use the "Remove" button to get it gone.

To use the "due date" feature: Simply edit an entry's description and place the magic word "Due" on a line by itself (see screenshot).  After the word "Due" type a space and then the actual due date + time for the entry.  Use any date format you're comfortable with... 10/31/2007 works as well as Oct 31, 2007. 

Including a time component (e.g. "10/31/2007 8:00 PM") automatically displays remaining hrs/min/seconds until time's up.  Past-due items display their time in red.

All settings are stored in an .ini file created alongside the app.  It's plain text.  You can edit the .ini file directly to twiddle the data, if you like.  Settings are saved automatically when you exit the program, or can be force-saved via the "Save" button.

If you want it to start automatically with Windows, create a shortcut and drag it into your Windows "Startup" folder.

Known issues:
So far, the only thing I know of is a slight cosmetic problem should you be using the standard XP "rounded" theme.  I have mine set to "classic" and didn't notice until I ran it on a test machine.  :-)  It's no biggie, and if it bothers you I'll fix it.

Thanks,
Ralf

BigJim:
Hi Ralf and thanks for your nifty little application. One problem and (at least) one suggestion:
1. In my trial, the countdown timer is reading one hour too many although the count up from past due is OK.

2. It would be handy if it could minimize to the Task Bar instead of only being able to minimize or close.

3. Incorporating a pop-up alarm of some kind might be a fun thing.

BTW: It seems to save on close. So what's the need/purpose of the "Save" button?
BTW2: A cool icon would be fun, too. DC member "ak_" seems to have a flair for this. See his File Nanny submission.

Thanks again for you work!!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version