topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 5:25 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: eStarling - WiFi LCD picture frames are starting to become useful  (Read 5485 times)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
I keep waiting for the LCD picture frames to come down in price and go up in functionality, to the point where i'll want one in every room.

I'm still going to wait until we have a nice open source API that will let us display arbitrary stuff on these things and touch screen support.  Then we can use them as music visualizers, remote controls, remote movie watching, etc.

But we're starting to get closer now that they are supporting wi-fi and the ability to show additional information and grab pictures from sites like flickr, etc.  If you are a flickr fiend or otherwise love sharing pictures with friends, it may finally be time to invest in one of these guys.

The eStarling 2.0 Wi-Fi Photo Frame takes this concept to the next level by connecting to your local Wi-Fi network and allowing you to send photos to it via e-mail or RSS photo feed.

With full web-based access you can control exactly the photos you want on your eStarling frame at any time from anywhere in the word. E-mail photos as .jpg attachments and they appear on your frame. Choose a Flickr photo feed with the keyword "cool japanese robots" and soon your frame will be scrolling through nifty shots of highly desirable bots you will never get your hands on. New Photobucket integration allows you to add photos into rotation on your eStarling frame directly from the Photobucket website. You can of course send photos while on the go from your mobile phone, while your pets watch your exciting antics remotely on the eStarling. Hand the eStarling Photo Frame over to a non-technical relative (Who has Wi-Fi in their house of course. What... they don't? You're a geek. Set it up!) and rule with an iron-fist over exactly what photos your Grannie views.

Laughing Man

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • V for Viktor
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: eStarling - WiFi LCD picture frames are starting to become useful
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2007, 05:05 PM »
Interesting.. I have a ton of pictures on my desktop and laptop (for my laptop I use them as backgrounds..switch every 3 minutes).

Would be awesome if I could have the pictures show up randomly on the picture frame.

merkin

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2007, 04:43 AM »
I want to use it with caller id and send a picture of who's calling when the phone rings.

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2007, 05:24 AM »
Would be wonderful having it display server stats and things like that :)
- carpe noctem