ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

HELP !!! Outlook corruption

<< < (2/5) > >>

Ralf Maximus:
After reading through the newsgroups, a *lot* of people are experiencing bizarre problems after SP3.  Some are running just fine.  Many are surprised to discover they HAVE service pack 3, as it seems to have downloaded & installed itself automatically.

The biggest problems with Outlook have to do with sending/receiving mail (it won't), the IMAP interface breaking, inability to create new accounts, and failure of add-ons and 3rd party software that "violates" Microsoft's new security policy.  Only a few users have these problems, and nobody appears to have all of them.

Office's document imaging is completely and universally hosed after SP3.

The most alarming trend is that some (not all users) report they are unable to open documents saved in prior versions of Office, unless those documents are placed in a special "Exception" folder (?) as defined by the Office Administration tools.  Apparently, the new security model considers documents in pre-2003 format to be dangerous by default.

There is rabid speculation that it's is a ploy to force users to upgrade to 2007 (which does not do any of this) but if that were the case, you'd expect to see EVERY service pack 3 user ranting... I mean, who doesn't work with Office 97/2000/XP documents occasionally?  Personally, I think it's a bug.  A bug in a stupidly conceived security patch --  backwards compatibility is *critical* in a business environment.

And here's the bad news: you can't uninstall SP3.  There's simply no option for it.  The only way to get rid of it is to either (a) roll back to a restore point prior to SP3, or (b) uninstall/reinstall Office 2003 and stop short of SP3. 

One newsgroup poster who did the reinstall got everything working again, then reported that the next day SP3 was back!  Automatic updates had helpfully downloaded & reinstalled the update, complete with a system reboot.

Good luck, Carol.  Hope you have a backup image you can use...

Carol Haynes:
What a complete PITA !!!

Why can't MS get its act together - apparently this applies to all Office 2003 service packs. They don't mind leaving useless shit scattered all over random partitions so why can't they leave the files required for a roll back!

For anyone interested here is the MS KB article relating to uninstalling Office 2003 service packs

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/873125

Darwin:
One newsgroup poster who did the reinstall got everything working again, then reported that the next day SP3 was back!  Automatic updates had helpfully downloaded & reinstalled the update, complete with a system reboot.

--- End quote ---

Could also be the installer lurking in a user folder somewhere and being set to run on restart. I've had this problem with other software packages - for example QuickTime and iTunes. You uninstall them and all is well, reboot and lo and behold their back! Creepy. Just a thought.

Ralf Maximus:
Could also be the installer lurking in a user folder somewhere and being set to run on restart.

--- End quote ---

Ooooh, good thought.  This ties in with the "SP3 wants to reboot" issue.  It's commonly reported that SP3 automatically reboots the PC, but some workstations fail to shutdown for whatever reason.  SP3 is 98% installed but awaiting reboot.  The user then does stuff (like reinstall Office) and upon a manual reboot, hilarity ensues.

I swear, there's enough material here for an entire season of CSI:Windows.

Carol Haynes:
LOL ...

I am not smiling too broadly in case I invoke the wrath of the windows gods but I seem to have fixed it by reinstalling Office from scratch.

I rebooted and got offered SP3 by automatic update but declined and told it never to offer it again.

So far I haven't got SP3 reappearing and having just downloaded about 50 emails my PST file wasn't corrupted at all. Fingers crossed - I will keep an eye on it over the next couple of weeks.

It also feels much nippier!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version