ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

HELP !!! Outlook corruption

(1/5) > >>

Carol Haynes:
I am really SOOOOOOOOOOO (!!) frustrated.

I have been checking my Outlook PST file recently regularly and have found that EVERY time I open Outlook and close it again my PST file has "Minor inconsistencies". I don't have to do anything in outlook, like check emails, open emails or anything else - just Open app, close app => corrupt PST!

Has anyone else experienced this?

I have WinXP SP2, Office 2003 Pro.

With Outlook I have NOD32 and AdMuncher running ( both of which at least read incoming stuff) and also POPfile.

I have tried the following:

Fix the file using SCANPST - it then scans clean until next time Outlook is run.
Run "Office Detect And Repair", Delete profile and create new profile. Import mail from old PST file.
Reduce the size of PST file (currently 27Mb), repeat 2.
Change file format (Outlook 2003 can use 2003 format or XP/2002 format), repeat 2
Disable AdMuncher/NOD32 OMON and EMON/Remove POPfile

Nothing I do makes any difference at all.

Has anyone got any ideas how to troubleshoot this? There are no error messages unless I manually run SCANPST on my PST file. The log produced during the fix process tells me nothing at all:

Microsoft (R) Inbox Repair Tool
Copyright (C) Microsoft Corp 1995-1996. All rights reserved.

**Beginning NDB recovery

**Attempting to open database

**Attempting to validate header

**Attempting to validate AMap

**Attempting to validate BBT

**Attempting to validate NBT

**Attempting to validate BBT refcounts

**Attempting to validate header NID high-water marks

**Beginning PST/OST recovery

**Attempting to recover all top-level objects

**Attempting to walk all folders

**Attempting to locate any orphaned folders/messages

**Attempting to check top-level objects for consistency

**Updating folder hierarchy

**Attempting to fix original file

**Attempting to copy back BBT

**Attempting to copy back NBT

--- End quote ---

There are absolutley no error message

Carol Haynes:
Follow up - I just set up Outlook with a brand new empty PST file.

I set it as my default PST file (where emails are received) and after downloading 2 emails only the new file has errors (not even minor inconsistencies).

I set my old file as an additional PST that opens with Outlook and there are no issues when I open and look at emails etc..

It seems to be related to being the main PST file in the profile!

Strangely the fixing process actually makes the file BIGGER  !! A chunk is added to the end of the file and just a few bites near the beginning are changed.

Armando:
This is weird, Carol. I've never these kind of problems with Outlook (2003), even after BSODs, X1 crashes, and other similar disasters.
Is your Hard Drive in perfect shape? Any special Outlook extensions?

Ralf Maximus:
Virus scanner?  Maybe it's not letting go when it should...

I've heard unkind things about Office 2003 service pack 3, which came out last month.  Its "enhanced security" prevents some ActiveX controls, macros and VBA from running, which may be timing out and leaving active handles.

What service packs have you applied?

Carol Haynes:
This is weird, Carol. I've never these kind of problems with Outlook (2003), even after BSODs, X1 crashes, and other similar disasters. Is your Hard Drive in perfect shape? Any special Outlook extensions?
-Armando (October 24, 2007, 10:26 PM)
--- End quote ---

I too had issues like this with X1 - I have been experimenting recently with various desktop searches but they have all been unistalled now and the problem persists. Hard disc seems fine. The only extension I have is Attachment Options, an Evernote button and a SnagIt toolbar - all of which have installed for ages (in some cases years) without problems.

Virus scanner?  Maybe it's not letting go when it should...-Ralf Maximus (October 24, 2007, 11:00 PM)
--- End quote ---

NOD32 - I have tried disabling DMON and EMON which means it should not look at documents in Outlook at all - but it doesn't solve the problem. I have been using NOD32 for years without issues and there have been no recent updates to the program.

I've heard unkind things about Office 2003 service pack 3, which came out last month.  Its "enhanced security" prevents some ActiveX controls, macros and VBA from running, which may be timing out and leaving active handles.

What service packs have you applied?

--- End quote ---

I applied SP3 - perhaps I was too hasty - maybe I should uninstall it again and see what happens!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version