topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday April 18, 2024, 1:41 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Word Press & Widgets  (Read 4742 times)

TomColvin

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • BECOMING A WRITER SERIOUSLY
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Word Press & Widgets
« on: October 23, 2007, 12:39 PM »
I would very much like to add to my blog sidebar a widget to present readers with my shared items in Google Reader.  It should be easy to do, but I'm having real difficulty and need some advice.  Have tried the Word Press forum but it has not been at all responsive to my query or other queries of similar nature.  So here I am at my favorite info source DonationCoder.

THE PROBLEM:  I'm running ?my blog on Word Press 2.0, which is installed on my webmaster's server.  I am able to drag available widgets onto the sidebar -- but when I click on the "configuration" icon, nothing happens -- I cannot configure.  I've tried several widget-ready themes and even gone to the wp-administration panel on two different computers.  No luck.

A FAILED ALTERNATIVE:  With no luck in 2. my webmaster has installed in a separate directory Word Press's new version 2.3.  The installation seems to be OK.  Several alternative themes work, and my database of posts is intact.  However, widget problems again.  This time I simply get a list of widgets -- they are not contained in draggable boxes.

Is there anyone here who might know what's wrong?  I've been trying to solve this for a full week now, and I'm getting frustrated.

Tom

sri

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Sridhar Katakam
    • Donate to Member
Re: Word Press & Widgets
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2007, 10:41 AM »
Tom,

It should be a very simple thing to do. Go to widgets section of your WP admin, drag a RSS widget to the sidebar, click on the little icon to the right of it, enter the feed URL and name.

I just did the same and you can see my Google Reader shared items in the first sidebar (at the right) of my blog.

If you want, I can create a screencast and show you.
<a href="https://sridharkatakam.com">My blog</a>

TomColvin

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2007, 02:42 PM »
Thanks for yr reply.

I've done most of what you suggest.  In my WP 2.0 installation, the problem is that when I click on the configure icon, nothing happens.  Nothing opens for me to enter anything.  I've tried both RSS widget and Text widget, with no effect.

The problem is even worse in 2.3 -- there the widgets don't drag, it's simply a text list, no draggable boxes.

I will next go to your page and feel envious that you've got it working.  ;-)

Tom

TomColvin

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2007, 02:51 PM »
SRI:  Just visited your blog [and subscribed to RSS].  What I find there are a list of Daily Links in the left hand blog column.  On the right side are 2 sidebars, neither of which have the Google Shared Feed.  I'm guessing that the links on the left are actually being generated by Google Reader.

BTW, I'm running Firefox at 600x800.

Tom

sri

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Sridhar Katakam
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2007, 10:31 PM »
Tom,

My shared Google Reader items are in the first right sidebar titled 'RSS Feeds'. Currently there's only one item that reads "How I Made $21,496.95 in Just 2 Weeks!PaymentBlogger".

Did you try uninstalling the widgets plugin and reinstalling it? If still no dice, I can log in as admin and look into it, if you wish. In case you are doubtful about my credibility, I run http://www.scriptinstall4free.com. :)
<a href="https://sridharkatakam.com">My blog</a>