ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Unique way to make Firefox load faster

<< < (3/3)

nosh:
Neat on removing the close button, nosh. I'll bite. How did you do it?
-BigJim (October 23, 2007, 07:21 AM)
--- End quote ---

A combination of MenuX which adds buttons with additional functionality ("incompatible" since the last several (2.x) versions of FF) & Menu Editor (lets you hide conventional menus) if memory serves correctly, coz I did this way back and haven't touched these extensions since. The screenie depicts the top of my display with FF active - the title bar and menus are hidden, not cropped out of the image.

Unique way to make Firefox load faster

mrainey:
After doing the upx thing, Firefox crashed every time I tried to download from one of my longtime favorites, Megaupload.com.  Reverting to uncompressed Firefox stopped the crashing.

Didn't seem faster anyway.

nontroppo:
Note, Opera is compressed by default. I actually do the reverse - I like to uncompress the DLL because I use multiple profiles run simultaneously and compresed DLLs cannot be shared. There is also a slightly higher memory footprint on first start as the whole DLL must be loaded, as opposed to just the parts that are needed.

If you use Process Monitor, I remembered most of the FF startup is not reading executables, but XUL associated files (it was ages ago that I profiled though). Opera spends most of its time validating cache entries, thus these techniques have no impact on the majority of the the startup I/O I believe...

Grorgy:
You can also use Minimize to Tray extension to stop firefox closing, its one of the options.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version