topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 3:34 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Latest FARR Release 2.250.0 beta - Mar 23, 2020  (Read 775466 times)

d4ni

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Latest FARR Release v2.107.04 beta - Sep 23, 2012
« Reply #500 on: September 23, 2012, 06:14 AM »
Hi Mouser,

The new beta (v2.107.02) crashes for me when typing '%' to list environment variables, followed by pressing the spacebar. In the picture I pressed them in quick succession, hence no environment variables were displayed at all. However, even if you press %, wait till the list gets populated and then press space it happens.

Some testing leads me to believe this only occurs when the Core-Misc.alias file is missing from %FARRDIR%\AliasGroups\Installed\Core_Aliases. I don't like all the aliases FARR comes with (websites, search etc) so I tend to remove all contents of Core_Aliases to get rid of them. Me removing all those files is actually caused by the cumbersome process to disable every built-in alias through the Options dialog; you have to select every alias/group from the dropdown, then uncheck the box 'Enable alias'. It would be nice to have a way to disable / enable all aliases at once =)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #501 on: September 23, 2012, 10:16 AM »
How strange!

I don't think removing core aliases is the cause of this problem, but i'm not sure what is..

I'm guessing you might have one of your own aliases configured to use %?

Can you do a little more experimenting to figure out what's going on?

The special use of % is actually governed by a new alias "AliasGroups\Installed\EnvVars\EnvVars.alias", so if you delete/disable that you will see behavior when it is around.

Love to hear some more clues about what might be causing this.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #502 on: September 23, 2012, 03:22 PM »
Version 2.107.04 - Sep 23, 2012 - Beta
  • [Feature] Built in replacement vars (e.g. %WINDIR%) now accept lowercase version as well (%windir%)
  • [Feature] Environmental replacement now performed in search box text.
  • [Feature] New option to use generic icons for folders when directory browsing -- speeds up win8 browsing and in cases where custom dynamic folder icons are used.
  • [Feature] Added auto-completing environmental variable listing feature/alias; type % to see list of all environmental variables.
  • [BugFix] Last selected alias file was not always remembered between runs.
  • [MinorChange] Right-clicking on a result to bring up context menu now stops any running search.
  • [Improvement] Small improvement in caching item icons for faster display of updating search results.
  • [BugFix] Fixed crash when displaying dates on files whose file timestamp is after year 9999.
  • [Feature] You can now tell FARR what to do when you hit enter and there are no results showing, by setting the new option on the Launching Files tab (this used to require creating a special noresults alias); FARR will remind you of this the first time you hit enter when there are no results.
  • [Feature] Added shellexec special virtual launch string command that simulates typing a line into a dos command console (e.g. supports arguments and will launch executables on the system path); changed default run alias to use.
  • [Feature] First experimental attempt to have CapsLock trigger for FARR preserve caps lock state.
  • [Feature] New experimental tweak option on Display Options tab, labeled "Speed up display by avoiding lookup of some icons"; disabled by default.  Enabled if some search results cause a pause in your FARR when displaying them.
  • [Change] Removed Ctrl+Alt+O shortcut, as it could conflict with some diacriticals.
  • [Improvement] Improved speed of large directory listings.
  • [Change] Default options are now to show 100 (previously was 30) entries in directory browsing mode; and not show more by default (previous was to do +sall) on directory browsing.
  • [Improvement] Huge speedup in displaying results in some cases.
  • [Feature] New alias options to show certain aliases only on certain versions of windows (used in control panel alias).
  • [Feature] Brand new Windows-8 updated control panel alias (cpanel) and windows admin control center (mmc), created by DC member Josh.
  • [Feature] Added new "Add Alias" button to alias tab, which automatically brings user to the myaliases.alias file if the currently selected alias file is read-only.
  • [Improvement] Miscellaneous improvements to working with aliases and other options lists; now remembers your position in the list as you edit/add/delete items.
  • [Major Improvement] Huge speedup in displaying results in some cases, Huge speedup in directory browsing speeds.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2012, 05:33 PM by mouser »

Josh

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #503 on: September 23, 2012, 03:24 PM »
As always folks, if the admin tools don't work for you, let me know!

Thanks for the help, Jesse!

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #504 on: September 23, 2012, 05:32 PM »
v2.107.04 is a new update with substantially improved search speeds in some cases, especially directory listings, and especially for machines with slow antivirus engines.

But i'm a little nervous about the possibility that i may have broken some alias parsing, parsing where commandline parameters are being passed to executables, so let me know if you spot anything.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #505 on: September 24, 2012, 11:44 AM »
Any one try the new version and find that all your old stuff is working fine?  I'd like some confirmation that I haven't broken things before I release it as official.

highend01

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #506 on: September 24, 2012, 11:51 AM »
Until now I didn't find any issues with the latest (.04) version.

Response time is much! better when FARR is not on the exclusion list of MSE but still a little bit unpredictable. In most cases it only needs half a second (although it's never instant) to display it's results but sometimes (about 1/5 of all searches) up to about 4 seconds. Apart from that, a great step forward.

ewemoa

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #507 on: September 24, 2012, 11:26 PM »
v2.107.04 is a new update with substantially improved search speeds in some cases, especially directory listings

A subjective comment here, but it does feel faster with directories :)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #508 on: September 24, 2012, 11:52 PM »
By the way, FARR is now ten and a half years old.  :huh:

Version 1.0, March 18, 2002 - First release

phitsc

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #509 on: September 25, 2012, 02:31 AM »
By the way, FARR is now ten and a half years old.  :huh:

Version 1.0, March 18, 2002 - First release
And some parts of it show (especially the options screen, with all these clipped labels) ;).

It's still a very good program though. So congratulations!  :Thmbsup:

d4ni

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #510 on: September 25, 2012, 02:58 PM »
How strange!

I don't think removing core aliases is the cause of this problem, but i'm not sure what is..

The special use of % is actually governed by a new alias "AliasGroups\Installed\EnvVars\EnvVars.alias", so if you delete/disable that you will see behavior when it is around.

Mouser,

Well I actually removed my previous version completely and reinstalled the new beta (ZIP version), so none of my aliases were interfering ^_^ Here are the steps to reproduce:

1) Download portable zip version, extract
2) Delete contents of \AliasGroups\Installed\Core_Aliases
3) Start FARR
4) Press % [SPACE]
5) Enjoy the crash =)

Josh

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #511 on: September 25, 2012, 04:01 PM »
How strange!

Mouser,

Well I actually removed my previous version completely and reinstalled the new beta (ZIP version), so none of my aliases were interfering ^_^ Here are the steps to reproduce:

1) Download portable zip version, extract
2) Delete contents of \AliasGroups\Installed\Core_Aliases
3) Start FARR
4) Press % [SPACE]
5) Enjoy the crash =)

Confirmed, I can duplicate in the portable edition. Removing the core aliases folder produces the crash on win8 x64 pro.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #512 on: September 25, 2012, 04:41 PM »
ok i will find and fix.  im very curious to see what explains the crash!

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #513 on: September 25, 2012, 06:51 PM »
Crash should be fixed in latest beta upload.  Thanks for the reports -- looks like i had a bug with cacheing regular expression search results; it may have caused some other erroneous regex alias matches in the past as well.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Latest FARR Release v2.200.01 - Sep 25, 2012
« Reply #514 on: September 25, 2012, 09:42 PM »
Ok we have an official new non-beta release:

Version 2.200.01 - Sep 25, 2012
  • [Feature] Built in replacement vars (e.g. %WINDIR%) now accept lowercase version as well (%windir%)
  • [Feature] Environmental replacement now performed in search box text.
  • [Feature] New option to use generic icons for folders when directory browsing -- speeds up win8 browsing and in cases where custom dynamic folder icons are used.
  • [Feature] Added auto-completing environmental variable listing feature/alias; type % to see list of all environmental variables.
  • [BugFix] Last selected alias file was not always remembered between runs.
  • [MinorChange] Right-clicking on a result to bring up context menu now stops any running search.
  • [Improvement] Small improvement in caching item icons for faster display of updating search results.
  • [BugFix] Fixed crash when displaying dates on files whose file timestamp is after year 9999.
  • [Feature] You can now tell FARR what to do when you hit enter and there are no results showing, by setting the new option on the Launching Files tab (this used to require creating a special noresults alias); FARR will remind you of this the first time you hit enter when there are no results.
  • [Feature] Added shellexec special virtual launch string command that simulates typing a line into a dos command console (e.g. supports arguments and will launch executables on the system path); changed default run alias to use.
  • [Feature] First experimental attempt to have CapsLock trigger for FARR preserve caps lock state.
  • [Feature] New experimental tweak option on Display Options tab, labeled "Speed up display by avoiding lookup of some icons"; disabled by default.  Enabled if some search results cause a pause in your FARR when displaying them.
  • [Change] Removed Ctrl+Alt+O shortcut, as it could conflict with some diacriticals.
  • [Improvement] Improved speed of large directory listings.
  • [Change] Default options are now to show 100 (previously was 30) entries in directory browsing mode; and not show more by default (previous was to do +sall) on directory browsing.
  • [Improvement] Huge speedup in displaying results in some cases.
  • [Feature] New alias options to show certain aliases only on certain versions of windows (used in control panel alias).
  • [Feature] Brand new Windows-8 updated control panel alias (cpanel) and windows admin control center (mmc), created by DC member Josh.
  • [Feature] Added new "Add Alias" button to alias tab, which automatically brings user to the myaliases.alias file if the currently selected alias file is read-only.
  • [Improvement] Miscellaneous improvements to working with aliases and other options lists; now remembers your position in the list as you edit/add/delete items.
  • [Major Improvement] Huge speedup in displaying results in some cases, Huge speedup in directory browsing speeds.
  • [Improvement] Ctrl+Shift+Enter launches item as administrator (elevated privileges) and works with shellexec; use /runasadmin to create an alias that does this without ctrl+shift.

Thanks again to Josh for his encouragement and help, and his fantastic job with the new (Windows 7+8 compatible) cpanel and mmc aliases.

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #515 on: September 26, 2012, 03:36 AM »
Thankyou!

justauser

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #516 on: September 26, 2012, 08:45 AM »

With the 2.200.1 release I get an access violation (win 8, x64).  Happened after I tried to run an alias that open 6 pages in the browser.  Also ALT-O doesn't bring up options.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #517 on: September 26, 2012, 08:49 AM »
Also ALT-O doesn't bring up options.
this was removed because it conflicted with some foreign language keys.

With the 2.200.1 release I get an access violation (win 8, x64).  Happened after I tried to run an alias that open 6 pages in the browser.
If you can reproduce it please do let me know what causes it.

d4ni

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #518 on: September 28, 2012, 01:04 PM »
Hi Mouser,

Thank you for fixing the crash :Thmbsup:

Another thing I noticed; FARR does not seem to pick up custom .ico files set on a shortcut, but instead always (?) uses the 'integrated' icon file of an executable. Case in point; I created shortcuts to psshutdown.exe (available here for people who want it) to shutdown / reboot / standby my computer using FARR and have associated the proper icons via Properties > Change Icon... This works fine in Windows (of course) and also in Launchy, but FARR seems to not pick up the icon. The result in the FARR window is the middle (.lnk) file which has the standby.ico associated with it, and points to the psshutdown.exe file next to it.

~edit:

Hehe, I just realized this exact issue has occurred in the past, I dug up my old post. Perhaps it can help you in finding / solving the problem. 3 years ago already, time flies xD

~edit2:
I also notice I launch search results using the F1-F9 keys for some reason, but I cannot seem to configure this behavior (I'd like to disable it)? I already disabled launching using the numpad keys in options.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 01:16 PM by d4ni »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #519 on: September 28, 2012, 02:05 PM »
Another thing I noticed; FARR does not seem to pick up custom .ico files set on a shortcut, but instead always (?) uses the 'integrated' icon file of an executable.

There are a few options in farr for whether to "resolve shortcuts" on the bottom of the Search Behavior tab -- you might try turning those off and seeing if that fixes it.  If not let me know -- I can surely fix it as an option.

I also notice I launch search results using the F1-F9 keys for some reason, but I cannot seem to configure this behavior (I'd like to disable it)? I already disabled launching using the numpad keys in options.
I will add such an option.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 02:11 PM by mouser »

d4ni

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #520 on: September 29, 2012, 02:08 AM »
There are a few options in farr for whether to "resolve shortcuts" on the bottom of the Search Behavior tab -- you might try turning those off and seeing if that fixes it.  If not let me know -- I can surely fix it as an option.
Yeah I tried playing with those settings (and some under Launch Options) yesterday but unfortunately they did not solve it :) I think you can easily reproduce by just making a shortcut to some random executable and associate a .ico with a different icon.

Great :-*

daylessland

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #521 on: October 14, 2012, 01:27 PM »
Dear donationcoder

after last update, the icons are not been shown:
http://imageshack.us...img705/8240/farr.png

i've tried uninstalling-reinstalling, deleting appdata\roaming folder, running portable version -- the icons are still not there.

cheers

(Dell Latitude 6520
Windows 8 Pro x64)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #522 on: October 14, 2012, 01:29 PM »
Stay tuned I'm going to see if I can't release a beta version today to see if I can't fix this problem with missing shortcut icons.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #523 on: October 14, 2012, 03:16 PM »
For those with bad icons on shortcut results can you try this beta:
https://www.donation...AndRunRobotSetup.exe