topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 3:55 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Latest FARR Release 2.250.0 beta - Mar 23, 2020  (Read 775475 times)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Latest FARR Release 2.221.01 BETA - April 22, 2015
« Reply #625 on: April 27, 2015, 09:28 PM »
Can I get you guys to try the latest beta and let me know how it looks now.

regarding:
in large icon mode, no icons whatsoever are shown in the result list. In small icon mode icons are shown correctly.

can i ask you guys to try a couple of things:
first, turn OFF any custom visual font/size stuff height stuff on the Font Overides tab -- it may be that it's cutting it too short to show the icons because of the height?
and second, if that still has no effect, can you try messing with icon size at the top of the Tweaks and Deugging page, making sure to completely exit and restart farr after you change that value.

let me know if the latest version looks any different.

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #626 on: April 28, 2015, 07:02 AM »
Using FARR v2.221.01 Beta on Win8.1-64 PRO.
CASE 1: Font (size) override settings are ON to increase the display font size in the FARR output panels/lists.
  • Small or large icons seem to display correctly in the FARR List display.
  • The font size in the Options panel is almost too small to read properly. Fiddling with the font (size) override settings doesn't seem to have any observable effect on the size of the characters in the Options panels

CASE 2: Font (size) override settings are OFF.
  • Small or large icons seem to display correctly in the FARR List display.
  • The font size in the Options panel is almost too small to read properly.
Changing icon size to 48x48 or 72x72 in the the Tweaks and Deugging page, and then restarting FARR, seems to make no visible difference to icons (large or small) in FARR List display or the small-sized font in the Options panel.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #627 on: April 28, 2015, 11:31 AM »
Thanks Iain.

I've re-uploaded a new version, which should show as version 2.222.03 -- i'll make sure to update the version #s from now on so we can be sure we are talking about the same version.

I'm interested in two things: First, whether the large icons show in this version on Windows 8, and second, how it looks on high DPI setting where options panel is normally too small in prior versions.

phitsc

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #628 on: April 28, 2015, 01:29 PM »
v2.222.03 fixes both the icons problem and the scaling problem for me, including options screen! tested on a 4k 15'' laptop. No font overrides active.

excellent  :Thmbsup:

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #629 on: April 28, 2015, 01:51 PM »
that is wonderful news.

and thank you all for your patience and testing -- don't know what i would do without you folks  :up:

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Latest FARR Release 2.223.01 - April 28, 2015
« Reply #630 on: April 28, 2015, 11:38 PM »
New official release:

Version 2.223.01 - Apr 28, 2015
  • [Feature] A new "Quick Search Words" tab in options allows you to specify quick search word replacements; here you can quickly specify words that have alternate meanings when typed into the search box.  Start each line with a search word, followed by = and then the replacement text.  For example, if you would like to be able to type "ff" to search for "firefox" you can specify that here as "ff = firefox".  This just makes it much easier to do certain simple things without using aliases.  Note that replacements will only be made on word boundaries ("ff" will not match "eff").
  • [Feature] On History Options you can now choose to have FARR automatically add all applications that you launch outside of FARR (that have foreground windows), automatically added to FARR launch history; this makes them visible in main window on display, and makes them faster to find.
  • [Feature] New option to require search words to match on left hand boundaries of words (whether contiguous enabled or not) -- can be useful in reducing spurious matches.
  • [Feature] Added field where you can test how FARR will resolve a path with environment or other special % replacements, on Tweaks and Debugging tab.
  • [Change] If only one result is being shown in directory browsing mode, FARR won't autoswitch into small report display mode; this is nicer to look at when using an absolute path to a file and makes clearer when there is a unique result in directory browsing mode, and makes it more convenient to use the Quick Search Words to specify an explicit file path.
  • [Bugfix] Non-contiguous scoring had a bug which might allow some results to list which should not (though it would give them a very low score).
  • [Bugfix] Using spacebar to toggle checkboxes in the hotkey, searchfolder, pattern lists was not saving changes.
  • [Bugfix] Launched *folders* were no longer opening on Windows XP.
  • [Bugfix] Using Ctrl+# or Ctrl+Enter to launch apps should keep FARR window open AND focused, regardless of FARR window behavior configured on Window options tab.
  • [Bugfix] Some users on Windows 8 were not seeing large icons in results.

wut?!

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2015
  • Grainy and juicy.
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #631 on: April 29, 2015, 01:00 AM »
Oh man, I really like the new foreground apps feature. I tested it out on a couple .exes that didn't show up before and sure enough, they started popping up in FARR. Nice one!  :Thmbsup:

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #632 on: April 29, 2015, 05:28 AM »
Thanks, using FARR v2.223.01 on Win8.1-64 PRO.
All OK, except the font size in the Options panel is still almost too small to read properly.
Not a showstopper - I've been putting up with that and can continue to do so.

By the way, I'm not sure whether I mentioned this, I have been playing about with the Quick Search Words, which seems to work quite well with strings like these that I have tried:
  • ff=Firefox.exe (to bring up the FF browser link file)
  • ie=C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe (to bring up the IE browser .exe path)
  • is8=C:\Program Files (x86)\Info Select\Info Select (IB databases).lnk (to bring up the IS8 link file)
  • $a=http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=%s (to search Amazon for the string typed in)
  • $imdb1=http://www.imdb.com/find?s=all&q=%s (to search IMDB for the string typed in)

The latter two are copies of two of my search bookmarks and are a sort of alternative to using Aliases.
I'm still experimenting with the QSW and freely admit I don't have a clue what I am doing.

Nod5

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #633 on: April 29, 2015, 06:05 AM »
Also confirming that large icons now work in Win 8.1 with v 223.01 with and without font overrides.  :Thmbsup:

I still have the issue where aliases that run things with parameters doesn't work in Win8.1 (works in Win 7). Example:
test | "C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe" https://google.com/
I've tried it with different applications. If I plug the same application path and parameter into the win+R run box it works.
phitsc, IanB could you check if you also have that issue with aliases in Win 8?

phitsc

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #634 on: April 29, 2015, 07:09 AM »
Thanks, using FARR v2.223.01 on Win8.1-64 PRO.
All OK, except the font size in the Options panel is still almost too small to read properly.
Not a showstopper - I've been putting up with that and can continue to do so.

Options dialog was fixed for me with v2.222.03. Will try later with the current official release.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #635 on: April 29, 2015, 07:11 AM »
I still have the issue where aliases that run things with parameters doesn't work in Win8.1

is it all apps or just web browser apps?

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #636 on: April 29, 2015, 07:59 AM »
Sorry, I had not seen the message asking me to check Aliases...looks like the ones with URLs are not working.
Shall test some more tomorrow if I have time. Must get some sleep now.

Nod5

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #637 on: April 29, 2015, 10:58 AM »
is it all apps or just web browser apps?
All I think. Have tested Chrome, Firefox, Notepad and VLC.

update: using quote marks on the application path is the cause:

1 works in win8 | C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe https://google.com
2 works in win8 | C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe "https://google.com"
3 fails in win8 | "C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe" https://google.com
4 fails in win8 | "C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe" "https://google.com"

Note: 3 worked in Win 7, so the behaviour is different in Win 7/8.

(Sidenote: while testing this I see that if an alias has multiple commands and the first is phrased in ways that will work (like 1 and 2 in win8) then all subsequent commands in the list for the same alias that are *not* correctly phrased will reuse the icon from the last correct command.)
« Last Edit: April 29, 2015, 11:34 AM by Nod5 »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #638 on: April 29, 2015, 11:41 AM »
ok thats a great help to me Nod5, i can fix that.
can everyone confirm that the only failing cases are when there are double quotes around the exe path?

phitsc

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #639 on: April 29, 2015, 02:33 PM »
v2.223.01 works fine for me, including options dialog.

I can confirm that the above aliases work/fail on my Windows 8.1 laptop as reported by Nod5.

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #640 on: April 29, 2015, 06:47 PM »
2015-04-30 1147hrs NZT - Confirming test results:
Using FARR v2.223.01 on laptop, OS=Win8.1-64 PRO:
Options pane: font used in display box is (unchanged from before) consistently almost too small to read. I would like to make it larger. Not a showstopper. Not sure whether it is a bug per se.

Aliases: The above 4 aliases (i.e., without/with quotes) as reported by Nod5 work/fail similarly on my laptop, except that I substituted the Chrome Canary as the browser and DuckGo as the search engine, thus:
Code: Text [Select]
  1. C:\Users\(UserID)\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome SxS\Application\chrome.exe https://duckduckgo.com
  2. C:\Users\(UserID)\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome SxS\Application\chrome.exe "https://duckduckgo.com"
  3. "C:\Users\(UserID)\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome SxS\Application\chrome.exe" https://duckduckgo.com
  4. "C:\Users\(UserID)\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome SxS\Application\chrome.exe" "https://duckduckgo.com"

So, Aliases #1 and #2 worked OK and with a correct result.
When Aliases #3 and #4 FAILed, the error messages were respectively: (notice the single and double quotes)
  1. -------------
  2. Windows cannot find '"C:\Users\(UserID)\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome SxS\Application\chrome.exe" https://duckduckgo.com'.
  3. Make sure you've typed the name correctly, then try again.
  4. -------------

and...

1. -------------
  2. Windows cannot find 'C:\Users\(UserID)\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome SxS\Application\chrome.exe" "https://duckduckgo.com'.
  3. Make sure you've typed the name correctly, then try again.
  4. -------------

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #641 on: May 06, 2015, 07:01 PM »
See if the beta fixes the problem with result filenames in quotes:

here (portable zip).

phitsc

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #642 on: May 07, 2015, 04:04 AM »
I'm afraid it doesn't mouser. Both result 3 + 4 from Nod5's alias above still do not launch with v2.224.01 under Win 8.1.

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #643 on: May 07, 2015, 04:30 AM »
@mouser:
 :tellme:   Looks like it's all fixed from my perspective.    :Thmbsup:
That is, unlike @phitsc, I get all 4 (not just Nos. 1 and 2) of the test alias searches to work OK now.
This is using FARR v2.224.01 (Beta), which I just now downloaded and installed.
The 4 search strings are (as above):
1. C:\Users\Iain\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome SxS\Application\chrome.exe https://duckduckgo.com
2. C:\Users\Iain\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome SxS\Application\chrome.exe "https://duckduckgo.com"
3. "C:\Users\Iain\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome SxS\Application\chrome.exe" https://duckduckgo.com
4. "C:\Users\Iain\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome SxS\Application\chrome.exe" "https://duckduckgo.com"

The test PC is a Toshiba Satellite L855D laptop,  and OS is Win8.1-64 PRO, with all auto-updates current to date.

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #644 on: May 07, 2015, 05:09 AM »
@mouser: Regarding the difficult-to-read Options panel of FARR:
The FARR Options panel still has small fonts that are difficult-to-read.
The CHS Options panel has fonts that look a bit different, just as small, but which are not so difficult-to-read.
The ProcessTamer Options panel has fonts that look different again, just as small, but which are not so difficult-to-read.
The ScreenshotCaptor Options panel has fonts that look near-identical to the CHS Options panel.

After close inspection, I think the FARR fonts look as though they are less thick (maybe not so many pixels wide/dense?), but I can't be sure.

It occurred to me that these applications may not all use the same display output standards, and that if you were to standardise them to a common display output standard - (say) one that matched CHS or ScreenshotCaptor - then the problem for those users' displays affected might go away.
If you did that, then it might be a good idea to increase the font size used as a standard as well, since it could well be borderline-legible for many users wearing reading glasses or (like me) laptop-reading glasses. (The latter have lower magnification and a deeper depth-of-field to reading glasses.)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Latest FARR Release 2.226.01 - June 26, 2015
« Reply #645 on: March 06, 2017, 02:59 PM »
The FARR Options panel still has small fonts that are difficult-to-read.
The CHS Options panel has fonts that look a bit different, just as small, but which are not so difficult-to-read.

I think I will have a fix for this soon.

nitrix-ud

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Latest FARR Release 2.226.01 - June 26, 2015
« Reply #646 on: March 07, 2017, 04:15 AM »
I think I will have a fix for this soon.

can't wait to try !

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Latest FARR Release 2.229.01 - Mar 24, 2017
« Reply #647 on: March 24, 2017, 04:49 AM »
Version 2.229.01 - March 24, 2017
  • [MajorFeature] First High-dpi compatible version beta.
  • [BugFix] Commandline arguments could be truncated at only 255 character length.
  • [BugFix] Custom titlebar was sometimes being blank after installing an update over a running instance.
  • [Feature] You can now choose any icon image file as your tray icon.
  • [Improvement] Improved the way some custom font override settings look.

nitrix-ud

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #648 on: March 26, 2017, 04:43 AM »
awesome  :Thmbsup:

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #649 on: March 26, 2017, 04:44 AM »
It won't be so long until another update now that I've got my toe in the water.. I'll try to get back to a more frequent update schedule.