topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 5:11 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Latest FARR Release 2.250.0 beta - Mar 23, 2020  (Read 775530 times)

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Latest FARR Release v2.107.04 beta - Sep 23, 2012
« Reply #475 on: April 06, 2012, 03:12 PM »
1- open farr (caps lock in my case)
2- write something in textbox
3- press Ctrl+Enter to "launch the selected (or first if in search box) item AND keep the FARR window open"

Item is launched but farr disappears instantly. Alt-tabbing confirms that it's gone.

Here's my ini file, in case it would help (removed personal info in the settings at the end).

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #476 on: April 06, 2012, 03:24 PM »
couple things to check, even though this may sound stupid:
1) this happens even when top item is a program to launch not an alias
2) double check that farr isn't simply hiding behind another window by having it be the only app on the desktop
3) make sure you have latest release

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #477 on: April 06, 2012, 04:02 PM »
1) Yes ; e.g. happens when MicrosoftOfficeWord2003.lnk (if I understand correctly that .lnk aren't considered aliases in that context...)
2) Yes, I checked that already. Farr isn't hiding.
3) Yes : v2.105.01

_hunter

• Participant
  • Joined in 2011
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #478 on: April 16, 2012, 06:14 AM »
Greetings,

Strange problem appeared after I upgraded to 2.105.01 – all “complex” shortcuts stopped to work in FaRR. By complex shortcuts I mean all those shortcuts without actual “target” specified, like Skype, Chrome, Microsoft Office…
And by “stopped to work” I mean that nothing happens after I’m “running” such shortcut.
I’ve checked “Launch History” – there are entries for those attempts.
And if I switch “Launch Method” to “Method 2” next:
---------------------------
C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Skype.lnk
C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Skype.lnk is not a valid Win32 application.

OK  
error appears.

I’m on Windows 2008 x64 (if it helps).

Best regards…

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #479 on: April 16, 2012, 10:48 AM »
Can you try messing with the other launch options in the Launching Files tab, notably the "Disable WOW64 redirection" checkbox, since that is the thing that's really new, and the "use file helper" checkbox.

_hunter

• Participant
  • Joined in 2011
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #480 on: April 17, 2012, 02:51 AM »
Uchecking "Disable WOW64 redirection" done the job...
Thanks.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #481 on: April 17, 2012, 03:00 AM »
I'm glad that solves the problem for you.. but now I still have to figure out why this is failing for some people and if i've made a mistake making it the new default.

Nod5

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #482 on: April 18, 2012, 03:43 PM »
Thanks for control+enter to launch and stay open. Very useful. :Thmbsup:

When randomly testing it out I ran into a problem launching only one of the test files. Turned out the issue was caused by the file name ending with a space i.e. this bug https://www.donation....php?topic=24037.msg . Not sure if that issue has hung around or reappeared but it is here now.

jnulu

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #483 on: July 25, 2012, 12:03 AM »
Hi Mouser!

I'm using the current version of FARR on my newly assembled PC running Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit.
All my search history comes up when I invoke FARR. I restart the PC and all my search history is still there.
But if I shutdown my PC and then start it up all but one or two items in the search history show up
and the rest disappear!
 I un-installed and then re-installed FARR, but the problem continues.
Not sure what is going on and so would appreciate some help!
Thanks in anticipation.
Regards

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #484 on: July 25, 2012, 12:27 AM »
Hi jnulu.

You say when you restart the pc everything is fine but when you shutdown and start the history is gone.

Restarting the pc should be the exact same thing as shutting down and restarting.. Can you experiment a little more and try to figure out what circumstances the behavior shows itself?

jnulu

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #485 on: July 25, 2012, 11:29 AM »
Yes, Mouser, initially all the searches that I do using FARR are there.
No problem if I restart the PC.
It's only when I shut down my PC and then start it up again, I am having this issue.
I am trying to find out as to why this is happening, but in the meanwhile do you think
trying out a previous version of FARR would help, just to see if this problem is still there?
If yes, where I can I download a previous version from?
Thanks!

jamesthebod

• Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #486 on: July 26, 2012, 03:39 PM »
I recently updated Find and Run on my Windows 7 from 2.102.03  to 2.105.01.

With the new version, every time I try to launch an app from Find and run, i get a message box headed "command line argument error" and the message is "-1". When I click OK on this, I then get another message box headed "bad invocation of Quickdoclauncher", with the message "--1".

I reverted to the previous version and everything works OK again. I don't see this problem posted before, does anyone know why this is happening?

jnulu

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #487 on: August 02, 2012, 10:39 PM »
Installing FARR from Safe Mode, solved my problem!

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #488 on: August 03, 2012, 11:26 AM »
Hmm that is odd, i'm going to have to check that out -- there is no reason you should get that error.

jamesthebod you could also look into telling farr not to use its QuickDoc Launcher helper, and other launch options:
Screenshot - 8_3_2012 , 11_29_31 AM.png

jamesthebod

• Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #489 on: August 24, 2012, 06:47 AM »
Hmm that is odd, i'm going to have to check that out -- there is no reason you should get that error.

jamesthebod you could also look into telling farr not to use its QuickDoc Launcher helper, and other launch options: (see attachment in previous post)

Thanks, I did that, that solved the problem. Then I reset it back again, to use the launch helper, using default method, and now it works fine, as before. So I don't why this worked, but it did.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #490 on: September 18, 2012, 10:39 PM »
New beta release posted.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2012, 08:58 PM by mouser »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #491 on: September 18, 2012, 10:40 PM »
Thanks to Josh for all his help testing, and for encouraging me to add some of the features.

Josh

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #492 on: September 18, 2012, 11:08 PM »
YEAY! We are officially in beta for this release! Glad to see it. There are some nice features here that mouser has put in.

For those of you unfamiliar, you can now use environment variables to reference specific paths in the Windows environment. I personally define one as %google% which points to %userprofile\google drive (c:\users\username\google drive). This can help save a lot of typing. It was this feature that helped identify the lag caused by the custom folder icons (google drive, root of a drive, etc).

Additionally, the shellexec and updated "noresults alias" is a great feature. This helps design FARR to operate more like the run dialog in all versions of Windows. What I mean is this.

Normally, in FARR, you know the name of the program you want and type in an entry from the start menu and FARR finds it as it scans. Let's say, however, you want to directly launch an MMC applet (Disk management, event viewer, etc). Currently, farr does not index control panel applets and requires the use of specially crafted shortcuts. This presents a problem in that these shortcuts have to be created as new control panel applets are identified. My solution to this is to use the run dialog and type devmgmt.msc and launch the file directly since it is in the system path. FARR did not provide this capability. Additionally, some pages I launch by manually executing internet explorer (certain work sites and other sites that present problems in alternative browsers or activex enabled sites). For this, I always manually execute internet explorer and pass it the argument (iexplore www.google.com).

This new "no result" capability allows FARR to more closely mimic the run dialog functionality so that you can launch files directly if you know the name and it is in the system path, but not in a FARR search folder path (say, %windir%, which I don't think many would want scanned by FARR).

I did identify a way for mouser to poll a list of control panel applets in Windows Vista+ (Vista, 7, 8) using the registry since Microsoft has stopped using .cpl files for most functions. Hopefully this makes its way into a future FARR release so we can populate control panel applets and further enhance FARR.

I must say that mouser has done an exuberant amount of work on this release and I think it has progressed very nicely!

Mouser, I tip my hat to you!

Judykator

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #493 on: September 18, 2012, 11:09 PM »
Please do something about this problem:
https://www.donation...ex.php?topic=30924.0

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #494 on: September 20, 2012, 05:08 AM »
Try now.

justauser

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #495 on: September 21, 2012, 07:06 AM »
Mouser, thanks for the update.  I use the portable version. The link in the first post is for the installer.  I hacked the name and the portable version seem to be there.  Downloaded and it is the right one.  I'm assuming you build both but don't have the portable link in the post for some reason?  Am I right?  Can you make the portable version "official" in the first post?

Thanks again.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #496 on: September 21, 2012, 08:58 PM »
Version 2.107.02 - Sep 21, 2012 - Beta
  • [Feature] Built in replacement vars (e.g. %WINDIR%) now accept lowercase version as well (%windir%)
  • [Feature] Environmental replacement now performed in search box text.
  • [Feature] New option to use generic icons for folders when directory browsing -- speeds up win8 browsing and in cases where custom dynamic folder icons are used.
  • [Feature] Added auto-completing environmental variable listing feature/alias; type % to see list of all environmental variables.
  • [BugFix] Last selected alias file was not always remembered between runs.
  • [MinorChange] Right-clicking on a result to bring up context menu now stops any running search.
  • [Improvement] Small improvement in caching item icons for faster display of updating search results.
  • [BugFix] Fixed crash when displaying dates on files whose file timestamp is after year 9999.
  • [Feature] You can now tell FARR what to do when you hit enter and there are no results showing, by setting the new option on the Launching Files tab (this used to require creating a special noresults alias); FARR will remind you of this the first time you hit enter when there are no results.
  • [Feature] Added shellexec special virtual launch string command that simulates typing a line into a dos command console (e.g. supports arguments and will launch executables on the system path); changed default run alias to use.
  • [Feature] First experimental attempt to have CapsLock trigger for FARR preserve caps lock state.
  • [Feature] New experimental tweak option on Display Options tab, labeled "Speed up display by avoiding lookup of some icons"; disabled by default.  Enabled if some search results cause a pause in your FARR when displaying them.
  • [Change] Removed Ctrl+Alt+O shortcut, as it could conflict with some diacriticals.
  • [Improvement] Improved speed of large directory listings.
  • [Change] Default options are now to show 100 (previously was 30) entries in directory browsing mode; and not show more by default (previous was to do +sall) on directory browsing.
  • [Improvement] Huge speedup in displaying results in some cases.
  • [Feature] New alias options to show certain aliases only on certain versions of windows (used in control panel alias).
  • [Feature] Brand new Windows-8 updated control panel alias (cpanel), created by DC member Josh.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #497 on: September 21, 2012, 08:59 PM »
Huge thanks to Josh for creating a totally new replacement control panel alias (cpanel) from what FARR used to have.  This one includes a big update for Windows Vista/7/8.

Type: cpanel to see the control panel list, then filter away.

It's brand new so their are likely to be a couple of issues with an occasional control panel items, so report any issues.

Huge thanks to Josh! 

Josh

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #498 on: September 21, 2012, 09:11 PM »
My pleasure! I am happy to help. This is a tool that, with these updates, has become indispensable to me.

A note on the control panel list. It is hard coded to the control.exe procedural calls. With Vista, .cpl files slowly went away and were replaced with namespaces. Right now, I am focused solely on adding the core control panel applets found in XP, Vista, 7 and 8. Applets like NVidia control panel, AMD Control Panel, SiSoftware Sandra or Everest, etc. will not be added as not everyone has them and I have no way to detect their presence in FARR.

Another note, the icons are NOT EXACT MATCHES to the icons in the classic control panels. If someone has an icon of decent resolution (32x32), please send me a pm with a link to it and what applet it replaces and I will update the alias for mouser. Additionally, if some are found to be missing or not working, post to a thread in the FARR forum and I will look into it. Be sure to let me know the control panel applet name so I can l look it up.

Please pass any feedback so we can continue to improve this tool and capability. I will be adding admin tools (msc file) and a separate alias file for active directory management (ADUC, Sites and Services, Federated services, DNS, DHCP, etc). So look for that in the next beta release.

Bring on the feedback!

Josh

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #499 on: September 21, 2012, 09:21 PM »
Also, a thank you to mouser for putting up with my constant nagging to get him to add some of these features :)

:drinksmiley: Cheers Mouser!  :drinksmiley: