topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 5:50 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Latest FARR Release 2.250.0 beta - Mar 23, 2020  (Read 775547 times)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Latest FARR Release v2.107.04 beta - Sep 23, 2012
« Reply #325 on: November 20, 2009, 10:54 AM »
New version with some useful features requested by users, including customizable titlebar which supports date+time, as well as ability to easily launch applications as an administrator.

Version 2.80.01 - November 20th, 2009
  • [Feature] - Ability to customize titlebar, including ability to put date and time in it.
  • [BugFix] - Users can no longer delete built-in hotkeys (but they can be disabled).
  • [MinorFeature] - Added option to disable troubleshooting log.
  • [Feature] - You can launch an item as an administrator by holding Ctrl+Shift as you launch it (or adding /runasadmin to the result in alias list)
  • [Feature] - The launch history and search history are now saved to independent files (in config dir) instead of the ini file; allows faster save of bigger lists, and means less paranoia when moving and sharing normal ini settings file.
  • [MinorFeature] - Improved text of options dialog for history options.
  • [MinorFeature] - When reducing the number of items to keep in history, it now truncates the current list.
  • [BugFix] - When launch history reached max, new items were not being added.

Tuxman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #326 on: November 20, 2009, 04:52 PM »
Thanks Mouser  8) trying FARR for a couple of days now as a Windows-Run replacement. So far it does the job quite well.  :-*

CatamountJack

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #327 on: November 20, 2009, 05:44 PM »
Hi Mouser,

FYI...  I just installed the new version, but suddenly my user variables no longer work.  I haven't dug too deep yet, I'll try to investigate more.

EDIT:  Well, now I don't know...  some of my user variables are no longer working.  I have a user variable called UtilitiesHome in the [Environment] section of my user variable definitions that references C:\Utilities.  Using %uservar.Environment.UtilitiesHome% in an alias no longer works.  However, a similar reference to C:\Program Files by the ProgramFiles variable in the same [Environment] section seems to work just fine.

I've also noticed that any alias that launches a program brings up a dialog asking which user to run the program as (WinXP, SP3)...  that could get annoying, since I just want them to all run as me (I'm on an admin account... yes, bad form, I know).  Doesn't seem to affect programs that are launched from search though - just aliases.

EDIT 2:  Argh, actually, in order to run as the current user, I have to uncheck the box that says "Protect my computer and data from unauthorized program activity" every time I run it - otherwise it won't launch at all.  Sorry for all of the edits.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2009, 06:21 PM by CatamountJack »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #328 on: November 20, 2009, 08:50 PM »
I've also noticed that any alias that launches a program brings up a dialog asking which user to run the program as (WinXP, SP3)...

$*&#*(&&%(&%(*#(*&#@!@!@!@#@$@ >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(
I messed up. I will push a new update now.  Very stupid to not do more testing before I pushed an update.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #329 on: November 20, 2009, 08:57 PM »
New version uploaded; please try it and let me know.  v2.80.01 was trying to launch everything as an administrator.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2009, 09:03 PM by mouser »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #330 on: November 20, 2009, 09:03 PM »
Everyone with 2.80.01 please update to 2.80.02 to fix the bug where everything is trying to be launched with administrator privileges introduced in last version. sorry!

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #331 on: November 20, 2009, 11:19 PM »
i can confirm launching now works on admin accounts. i alternated launching between folders, shortcuts and aliases and they all worked without any dialog box prompts.

CatamountJack

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #332 on: November 21, 2009, 10:17 AM »
Hey Mouser, it happens - no harm, no foul.   8)

Thanks for the quick fix - this seems to take care of all of the problems I was experiencing!

nitrix-ud

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #333 on: November 23, 2009, 01:39 PM »
Thanks for the update !
i'm glad to see a new release !

Keep up the good work mouser  :up:

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #334 on: February 15, 2010, 08:56 AM »
New *BETA* release (not available yet through updater, grab from url in first post):

Version 2.84.01 - February 15, 2010 - BETA
  • [BugFix] - Search directories were not expanding environmental variables.
  • [Feature] - Added /hideifnoexist (hide the result if the file specified does not exist)
  • [BugFix] - Result labels for items with /options could be messed up (hopefully i haven't broken anything while fixing this)
  • [Feature] - Added new ability to specify search text to simulate on blank search box.  By setting text here you are asking FARR to simulate a specific search when there is nothing in the search edit box.  Useful if for example you want to specify the contents of an alias result on blank search.
  • [BugFix] - An alias result that starts with %uservar.% will be replaced prior to being listed -- useful for using user variables for paths, etc.; in the past the resolution happened only at launch time.
  • [Feature] - Typing just +modifierkeyword to restrict search to certain directories will now list those directories.
  • [MinorFeature] - Search text is added to search history when FARR is minimized or enter is pressed in search window.
  • [Feature] - You can now hit PgDn from search box to tell FARR to find *ALL* results, not just the few that normally fit in the window; You can continue to hit PgDn and PgUp to page through results after that.  When more results available the statusbar now hints about PgDn.
  • [MinorFeature] - A few tweaks that may speed up search a tiny bit.
  • [BugFix] - Option to show on taskbar was not working.
  • [BugFix] - Attempting to improve a black flicker on win7 (or slow pcs) when auto-resizing window.
  • [MinorImprovement] - Improved search directory keyword modifier instructions.
  • [Feature] - New option to disable non-contiguous searching when in Show All (+sall or PgDn) mode, to help weed out extraneous matches and speed up search (set by default).
  • [BugFix] - Hopefully fixed bug that could cause crash if exiting while searching.
  • [Feature] - Added ability for plugins to add items to launch and search history (addlaunchhistory,addsearchhistory).
  • [BugFix] - The myaliases.alias file (where custom user aliases are stored) was not being created on the first run for a new user (only on second run).

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #335 on: February 15, 2010, 08:57 AM »
I think there are some cool functions in this latest release, most notably the PgDn feature much requested to find more results, and a new option to specify simulated search text on blank search.

Special thanks to DC member ewemoa for helping me test and providing so many good ideas.

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #336 on: February 15, 2010, 09:15 AM »
I think there are some cool functions in this latest release
My goodness, you've been busy -- 9 enhancements and 7 fixes! And thank you, ewemoa, for lighting the master's path.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #337 on: February 17, 2010, 05:00 AM »
I'd like to put this release on the updater but wouldn't mind getting some confirmation first that i haven't broken stuff like i normally do :)

Perry Mowbray

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #338 on: February 17, 2010, 07:57 AM »
The PageDown & Up feature is pretty neat:  :Thmbsup:

What are the chances of being able to page down | up in the normal window without going to the list window?

and/or: will the list window ever become htmlified?

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #339 on: February 17, 2010, 08:35 AM »
wouldn't mind getting some confirmation first that i haven't broken stuff
It's working for me here but I don't avail myself of its more esoteric features.  :up:

TucknDar

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #340 on: February 17, 2010, 11:51 AM »
Works for me as well. And I love the PgDn function! :Thmbsup: Veeery useful!

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #341 on: February 17, 2010, 12:32 PM »
The PgDn feature is definitely a win -- credit goes to those who have been advocating for it.
I did just notice a bug where if you page down to the end of the multi-page results it can sometimes get confused and be reluctant about paging back up; working on fix.

Nod5

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #342 on: February 27, 2010, 04:18 AM »
"[Feature] - You can now hit PgDn from search box to tell FARR to find *ALL* results, not just the few that normally fit in the window; You can continue to hit PgDn and PgUp to page through results after that.  When more results available the statusbar now hints about PgDn."
Nice!  :) Confirmed working. Two small tweak thoughts:
1. if I search "pdf" FARR gets 2000+ hits. Hit PgDn and FARR starts working at listing them. If I then PgDn again before FARR has filled the entire list then I get a scroll down in the list followed by a quick reset of that scroll as FARR keeps filling the list. For a search with many matches FARR takes several seconds to fill so that can get annoying. Two alternatives: Stop filling the list once the user presses PgDn. Or keep filling the list but remember how many PgDn the user has pressed and move there after the list is complete.
2. On second PgDn FARR scrolls the long list but the cursor is in the input box. That makes triggering something in the list by keyboard tricky. Better alternative: let the second PgDn do the same as arrow down + PgDn.

(Unrelated: hotkey config: wasn't there a special variable that represents the main input box contents in the "Text for search edit box" inputfield? I want a hotkey to prepend current inputbox text, i.e. "newtext $$1" but $$1 doesn't work. I've probably just forgotten what it is but can't find it through searches/helpfile now so...)

thefatdude

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #343 on: February 28, 2010, 01:14 AM »
Just ran into FARR and trying it out.  I normally use launchy all the time.  I like Launchy's interface a little better, also that it has a builtin calculator (need to find that plugin for far).  But anyway...

Not sure if this has been reported before; I was trying the different skins.  Was at or just next to the bottom of the list and I used the scroll mouse to go up the listbox.  I did a small flick which made it go maybe 3 or 5 entries up.  So I did it really fast to get up to the top of the list, but FARR locked up.  Had to kill it using task manager.  Tried it again with similar result.  If don't do it too fast, it seems to work.  When it locked up second time, I let it sit for 15minutes before I looked at it again and it was still unresponsive.

Win 7 ultimate x64.  q6600 @ 3.2ghz, 8gb ram
« Last Edit: February 28, 2010, 01:33 AM by thefatdude »

Nod5

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #344 on: February 28, 2010, 03:30 AM »
hi thefatdude and welcome to DC  :Thmbsup:
The CZB plugin pack for FARR includes JSCalc: "powerful calculator for farr with history tape, variables, conversion functions, and best of all a super easy way to add your own custom functions." Get it here: https://www.donation...ex.php?topic=17153.0

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #345 on: February 28, 2010, 08:13 PM »
Better alternative: let the second PgDn do the same as arrow down + PgDn.
i think that's not a bad idea, let me just sleep on it and make sure it won't cause trouble.

(Unrelated: hotkey config: wasn't there a special variable that represents the main input box contents in the "Text for search edit box" inputfield? I want a hotkey to prepend current inputbox text, i.e. "newtext $$1" but $$1 doesn't work. I've probably just forgotten what it is but can't find it through searches/helpfile now so...)

doesn't exist yet -- but it's coming.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #346 on: February 28, 2010, 08:14 PM »
thanks for the report thefatdude, i'll look into it.

in addition to jscalc, which is excellent, there is also fcalc.

CleverCat

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #347 on: March 01, 2010, 12:54 AM »
Is there any way to sort a long list in an alias group into alphabetical order mouser?

alias

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #348 on: March 01, 2010, 12:56 PM »
Thanks very much for the new version!  One thing I've noticed is that, in the past, the first time I open FARR after a restart, it would take 5-10 seconds to initialize the first time I tried to use, during which time it indicated it was retrieving the previous launch history.  Now, it initializes almost instantly.

I noticed that you made some changes regarding searching, but the issue I reported here still seems to exist, at least on my machine with my configuration.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #349 on: March 01, 2010, 12:58 PM »
thanks for reminding me -- i'll see what i can do about it asap.