topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 1:37 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Locate32 Plugin for FARR by Okke  (Read 125512 times)

Okke

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Locate32 Plugin for FARR by Okke
« Reply #50 on: September 26, 2007, 09:27 AM »
Aahh, rjbull, thanks for noticing that. That would explain it. I'm using 3.0.7.7010 myself so I never had
that problem. Hopefully upgrading to 3.0.7.9220 fixes the problem cettolox had if he was running the bugged version.

cettolox

• Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #51 on: September 26, 2007, 10:09 AM »
Uninstalled, installend the new version, all works now !

Thanks,

/Stef

TucknDar

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #52 on: September 26, 2007, 03:22 PM »
OH yes thanks! !  :D This was driving me nuts and I was sure that it was me doing something wrong :huh:

Now it's excellent!!

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Locate32 Plugin for FARR by Okke
« Reply #53 on: November 26, 2007, 09:46 PM »
Okke: i recently update my Locate32 files but the plugin shows an older version & also it doesn't seem to work.. here's the screenshot..

ws-farr-locate-error-01.png

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #54 on: November 26, 2007, 11:01 PM »
Same thing here. I might just revert to previous locate version in the mean time... If the index allows me to!

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #55 on: November 27, 2007, 12:48 AM »
i also downloaded the plugin again and overwrote the existing files inside the plugin folder but there was no difference.. how does the plugin references the locate exe?

jmj

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Author of Locate32
    • View Profile
    • Locate32
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #56 on: November 27, 2007, 04:51 AM »
Locate.exe in 7.11040 and in 7.11250 are broken. The latest version which seems to work is in 7.9220, you can extract locate.exe from there. Actually three should not be any changed in locate.exe and updtdb32.exe between 7.9220 and 7.11250 (but somehow those newer files are again broken, argh!).

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #57 on: November 27, 2007, 06:12 PM »
thanks jmj, it is a problem with Locate.. i reverted to the earlier version & it's back to normal.. :)

ws-farr-locate-earlier-ver-sm.png

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #58 on: November 27, 2007, 07:17 PM »
Me too.  :)

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #59 on: December 16, 2007, 11:58 PM »
Is the locate plugin included in the farr beta download by default now ?

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #60 on: December 17, 2007, 12:12 AM »
i don't think so but my updates come via DCUpdater. why not try downloading them from here.. :)

ok, i did so and can confirm it doesn't come with the Locate plugin.. :)
ws-farr-locate.png

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #61 on: December 17, 2007, 12:46 AM »
thanks Lanux. The reason I asked is that I just wrote a quick and dirty little guide for how to set up the locate32 plugin ( https://www.donation...05.msg91369#msg91369 ). Maybe I should move it here. What do you think ?

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #62 on: December 17, 2007, 05:46 PM »
that is a cool post, Armando! maybe you should post this guide in a separate new thread so that it would be easier to update.. also spruce it up with some screenshots.. :)

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #63 on: December 17, 2007, 10:45 PM »
Thanks lanux. I'll try to add some screenshots and, yes, why not, post it in a separate thread.

losiek

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #64 on: December 20, 2007, 02:49 PM »
Hello.
(sorry for my english :( )
I found a weird bug in locate32 plug-in. It's related to ' (apostrophe) key procsessing in result list. I found same results with ` (accent) key, so maybe other keys are also affected.
When in search results are filepaths that include ` or ' then next links are messed up:
bug.GIF
I see only 3 results (there should be 24). When I use locate.exe manually everything is working fine, every line is correct with CR/LF at end.
I have little sugestion. Could you place execution of locate.exe in seperate thread? Because when I'm typing or changing text to search, and results are updated there is a little freeze for a secod or a half. This is only a minor issue, but it would be nice if you can fix that.

I also have a question - is it possible to make loc results scoreable? That's the only thing that prevents me from making Locate plug-in my primary search engine in FARR (will it ever have an indexed search - it's so slooow now. I've reading some old posts about making it in near future, but I don't see indexing on official feature list... will be it ever made?).

Thanks in adavance
Tom
« Last Edit: December 20, 2007, 02:51 PM by losiek »

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #65 on: December 21, 2007, 12:17 AM »
hi there losiek!

the 1st problem you mentioned is related to this: Unicode character problem and this problem has been added to the official "bug tracking" thread. also check out this post for some tips on using FarrLocate. :)

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #66 on: December 27, 2007, 08:01 AM »
Just started using FARR yesterday, and remembered the Use locate32 with Farr thread. Cursed a bit at not being able to find the plugin, until I smartened up and just looked at the FARR subforum.

Great work, man, it works like a charm! Only thing I would ask is (if it's possible) to be able to customize the "loc" keyword, I'd prefer "!loc" myself so it doesn't interfere with anything else... also, adding the alt+number "big icon" like FARR itself does would be nice, but not as important :)
- carpe noctem
« Last Edit: December 27, 2007, 08:03 AM by f0dder »

vitalyb

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #67 on: December 27, 2007, 10:13 AM »
...Only thing I would ask is (if it's possible) to be able to customize the "loc" keyword, I'd prefer "!loc" myself so it doesn't interfere with anything else... also, adding the alt+number "big icon" like FARR itself does would be nice, but not as important :)

You can do it yourself: Go to Options -> Plugins -> Click To Examine.. -> Select Locate32 -> Change the value in "Override" textboxes to whatever you want! :)

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #68 on: December 27, 2007, 10:19 AM »
Doh!

Thanks, vitalyb :)

Well, unicode support would be my next pet peeve, then. But I guess that would require locate to be updated, as /? doesn't mention unicode. Iirc the Windows console API *does* support unicode, so that shouldn't be the limiting factor.
- carpe noctem

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #69 on: December 27, 2007, 10:47 AM »
Yes, there are some character problems.
f0dder, which version of locate are you using?

jmj

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Author of Locate32
    • View Profile
    • Locate32
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #70 on: December 27, 2007, 11:33 AM »
But I guess that would require locate to be updated, as /? doesn't mention unicode.

Locate uses Unicode (at least to write console) if databases use Unicode  (you can check this in the settings dialog of locate32.exe).

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #71 on: December 27, 2007, 06:33 PM »
But I guess that would require locate to be updated, as /? doesn't mention unicode.

Locate uses Unicode (at least to write console) if databases use Unicode  (you can check this in the settings dialog of locate32.exe).

Oh, okay - then it's probably just the FARR locate plugin that needs updating. Nice to know, should be lots simple to fix :)

Armando: I'm using locate 3.0 build 7.12260, from the x64 build.
- carpe noctem

losiek

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #72 on: December 28, 2007, 05:40 PM »
@lanux128:
Thanks for tips:)

There is other thing. Locate uses Unicode, but Windows console doesn't. In Windows XP console uses old DOS-style 8-bit codepages to display diacritic characters. In my case (polish language) console uses CP852 codepage and standard windows uses Windows-1250 codepage (or full Unicode). So searching works fine but polish letters are displayed incorrectly in FARR (they have different hex codes in those 2 codepages - thanks to M$) and real Unicode characters (Hebrew, Arabic, Greek etc.) don't work at all. :(

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #73 on: December 28, 2007, 05:55 PM »
losiek: are you sure about this, also if the *W API forms are used, and a proper console font is selected?

The MSDN entries do sound a bit shoddy, like... WriteConsole being able to handle unicode text, but WriteConsole fails if the console handle is redirected. WriteFile can't write unicode chars to a console buffer, but my guess is that it'll work fine if the standard input is redirected with piping (which is most likely the way the locate plugin works).

So... locate.exe would need to detect if the console handle is a console or redirected, use WriteConsoleW for console handles and WriteFile when redirected.

EDIT: when selecting Lucida Console (instead of a raster font), I was indeed able to get unicode output on a console under WinXP, using the following very quick-and-dirty app. The test was saved with notepad, using the "Unicode" encoding (and editing out the BOM marker). Notice the question marks at the top of the console; I tried the "unitest" application first with a raster font, then switched to lucida console and ran it again.

Apparently windows detects whether the current font supports unicode or not, and doesn't actually output in unicode if it doesn't?
uniconsole.pngLocate32 Plugin for FARR by Okke
Code: C++ [Select]
  1. #define WIN32_LEAN_AND_MEAN
  2. #include <windows.h>
  3. #include <stdio.h>
  5. #define MAXSIZE 4096
  7. int main()
  8. {
  9.         char    buf[MAXSIZE];
  10.         FILE *f = fopen("c:\\test.unicode.txt", "rb");
  11.         DWORD   numwritten = 0;
  12.         size_t num = fread(buf, 1, MAXSIZE-1, f);
  13.         fclose(f);
  14.         buf[num] = 0;
  16.         WriteConsoleW(GetStdHandle(STD_OUTPUT_HANDLE), buf, num/2, &numwritten, 0);
  17. }
- carpe noctem
« Last Edit: December 28, 2007, 06:08 PM by f0dder »

losiek

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #74 on: December 28, 2007, 07:15 PM »
@f0dder:
Unfortunately I'm not  sure how does this stupid console work :(
I think you are right about redirection detection. Look at http://blogs.msdn.co...004/02/25/79621.aspx. That's exactly the same thing you said:) I used that example in my testapp.

Can you redirect your output to a file (if it'll work at all) and then open it using notepad? In my case displaying using WriteConsoleW and WriteFile works fine but redirection works only with WriteFile (WriteConsoleW gives 0-byte file). But when I open created file with notepad I still get messed Unicode characters :(

I think that Locate should provide option to directly write results to a file (without console and redirection) or simple library interface for searching.