topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 3:20 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Nico - Freeware  (Read 5132 times)

Redhat

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Nico - Freeware
« on: September 30, 2005, 02:20 AM »
Nico is a little freeware server connectivity monitor that alerts you when a system appears to be down. It's current drawbacks are it can only monitor one server, and there is currently no email alerts. Both features will be available soon.

Basically I need people to test it. It is currently in alpha stages of development, but should be moving to beta in 2 weeks.

A port scanner will also be included. And it will always be freeware, or open-source. It is written in C++ and takes up less than 1.5Mb of RAM on the test systems.

I hope someone finds it useful, as I have worked hard and will continue to do so.

The web address is http://www.kleendesigns.co.uk , and a forum is forthcoming!

brotherS

• Master of Good Ideas
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Nico - Freeware
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2005, 05:15 AM »
I'm willing to test it as soon as it's beta :)
You should also consider to put it on http://fileforum.betanews.com/ then.

One suggestion for your site: Add some screenshots, they are mostly more convincing than pure text :)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2005, 05:29 AM »
Beautiful and elegant site Redhad!

I agree with brotherS - a screenshot, even when it seems irrelevant, is just nice to have for the user to get a visual impression.

Here are some suggestions from trying it, of things that would be nice to see:
1) minimized to the system tray, with a different icon for when server is up vs. down (maybe with balloon message when down).
2) it'd be nice if it reported ping time (hey even better would be a nice graph of ping time over time).
3) tabs between fields doesn't work.
4) fill in default of port 80 maybe?
5) it's using wxwindows, is that right?  is that why the exe is so big? (4mb) are there any options to with wxwindows to help build it smaller (is it a debug build and maybe could be built in release mode maybe?)
6) is it supposed to save it's settings on restart or no? if not, that would certainly be a nice feature (preferably to an ini file and not registry, imho).

brotherS

• Master of Good Ideas
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2005, 05:56 AM »
Beautiful and elegant site Redhad!

I agree with brotherS - a screenshot, even when it seems irrelevant, is just nice to have for the user to get a visual impression.

Here are some suggestions from trying it, of things that would be nice to see:
1) minimized to the system tray, with a different icon for when server is up vs. down (maybe with balloon message when down).
Although I didn't see the icon myself yet (you know, missing screenshot(s)) ;) I want to suggest you use some green in it as long as everything's ok and a similar one with lots of red in it if the server seems to be dead.

Redhat

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2005, 04:14 AM »
Thanks everyone! Suggestions are brilliant. I'll get coding.

0.2 should be out sometime over the weekend  :up: :)