topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 6:28 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Veign's Top 15 MySQL Tools  (Read 7152 times)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Veign's Top 15 MySQL Tools
« on: October 22, 2007, 12:33 AM »
DC Member Veign wrote up a short summary of 15 different top MySQL management/helper tools on his blog today..

Would have been nice if he told us which was the best.

ps. I've used the free MySQL Workbench and found it cool but not really usable due to being in unfinished beta stage for too long, with bugs that are insurmountable.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2007, 12:35 AM by mouser »

Ralf Maximus

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Veign's Top 15 MySQL Tools
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2007, 01:25 AM »
At the risk of threadjacking, how easy is it to migrate a SQL Server 2000/2005 database to MySQL?

iphigenie

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2007, 03:45 AM »
The obvious answer is... it depends...

That would depend on what features your database uses and what you need. If it is pure data, with very little in the matter of triggers, constraints, simple indexes only, no stored procedures - then is it quite simply a matter of dumping and importing and can be quite painless.

If you have a lot of binary data, complex triggers or constraints, stored procedures... then it is a project and a half since you have to redo all those features.

Similarly, if your database is used by a front end which is not web based, or tightly integrated with SQL server, you might have a lot of rewriting to do on that front.

Ralf Maximus

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2007, 07:16 AM »
Thank you iphigenie; that's exactly what I need to know.

:-)

Veign

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Veign - Where design meets development
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2007, 10:04 AM »
ps. I've used the free MySQL Workbench and found it cool but not really usable due to being in unfinished beta stage for too long, with bugs that are insurmountable.

I put in some information about Workbench but should have put more.  Workbench was a continued project from DB Designer.  The original developers moved to create MySQL Workbench and stopped working on DB Designer.  Then when Workbench stopped moving forward another group of developers picked up on the open sourceness of DB Designer and started the DB Designer Fork.  DB Designer Fork is much more current than both DB Designer and MySQL Workbench.  This is the application I have been using for some very quick database reverse engineering (they include a tool).