ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Multibooting and Partitioning Experiments

<< < (6/10) > >>

Armando:
Nice. Now, be careful with GRUB...  ;)

wolf.b:
Right now the installation of Ubuntu 7.10 to hard disk is running in the background. Real easy if you read the messages on the screen, and have a clear idea what you want. I have opted out where it says "Install Boot Loader to sda0" or something. I will try to add an entry to GRUB4DOS, or to boot.ini. Have you got any suggestions?

Installation complete, my experiments continue ...

Wolf

Armando:
Well, i usually like to have the boot loader on my Linux partition's boot sector (instead of the mbr), and I use another boot loader to lead me to GRUB.... But that's just a matter of preference. (let me also confess that I don,t like GRUB -- i find it fragile and archaic and hope something else will replace it  soon as the standrad Linux boot loader ; I don,t like LILO either -- I don't know if others share my aversions...)

(sda0) ? Hummm, I'd think it's more something like (hd0), which will put GRUB on the mbr. But what do I know?

Hard drive partition terminology is, IMO, a bit confusing in Linux : on one hand you have the GRUB terminology for hard drive partitions ((hd0) (hd0,1), and so on), and on the other hand, the terminology used in the Linux file system for hard drive devices (sda1, sda2... or hda1, hda2, etc. depending if its SATA or IDE).

If you installed GRUB to your your mbr, it should recognize your windows installations etc. and you'll be able to boot anything from there. Anyway : if, for some reason, you decide to move GRUB to your partition's boot sector, it's very feasible with the Ubuntu Live CD.

I don't consider myself an expert, so if anybody else wants to add some comments here...

wolf.b:
Hi Armando, :)

I'm back in WinXP now. I have mounted my new Ubuntu and can read the filesystem. It is mounted as hda6, but I'm sure there was something with sdxxx to be seen inside Ubuntu, I will post exact info, as soon as I can.

Where do you think can I get the boot sector of that partition. The first 512 byte of the file vmlinuz look OK to me. I just put it in my boot.ini and test it. See you later, I hope ...

Wolf

Armando:
I'm sure there was something with sdxxx to be seen inside Ubuntu
-wolf.b (October 27, 2007, 09:10 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yes, if believe that if your hard drive is sata or scsi, then it will be identified as "sda" (sda1, sda2, sda3... sdb1, sdb2, etc. depending on the partition/disk). If it was IDE, then it would've been "hda" (hda1, hda2... hdb1, hdb2...). But it might also depend on other factor I'm unaware  off.

Where do you think can I get the boot sector of that partition.
-wolf.b (October 27, 2007, 09:10 PM)
--- End quote ---

What do you mean ? You want to be able to read it? or change where GRUB resides...?

[edit : corrected some stupid mistakes]

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version