topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 16, 2024, 5:10 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Dell Outlet Store!  (Read 11730 times)

Ralf Maximus

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Dell Outlet Store!
« on: October 21, 2007, 09:13 AM »
After many years of building my own workstations, or paying a local chop-shop to assemble my hardware, I came to the conclusion that any money saved was offset by any problems I encountered with the new machine.  If it's just a gaming PC that's one thing, but mission critical servers or your primary workstation should be reliable.

That's when I discovered the Dell Outlet Store, the best of both worlds:
http://www.dell.com/...s&l=en&s=dfo

Here, online, you can find the machine of your dreams for CHEAP, built with Dell quality, and backed up with a full factory warranty!  For a few bucks extra, you can even get a 3-year on-site service agreement where some poor slob who isn't you has to fix your computer.  If you're getting a PC for your mom or dad, this option is a must.

Why does the Dell Outlet Store exist?  Why is their stuff cheaper?  Why is it not total crap?

According to American trade laws, if a "new" computer leaves the Dell factory for any reason, but is returned, it cannot be sold as new any more.  That means that if somebody built a fire-breathing dual SLI gaming rig, had it shipped COD, but didn't have a check ready -- the machine is returned to Dell.  And rather than write it off as a loss, they resell it through the Outlet almost for cost.

I know this, because that happened to me.  Last year I wanted to buy my wife a gaming rig for christmas.    Her specifications: "It has to be red."  Armed with these detailed specs, I went shopping at all my usual cheap hardware places.  On a whim, I tried the Dell Outlet, and ended up buying her an XPS tower, 3GHz machine (overclocked) with 2 SLI geForce cards and 1GB of RAM.  In Red.  This machine sells for close to $3000 in the catalog, but the Outlet had one listed for $995.

To be fair, it was listed as "refurbished return" so I had no idea what cosmetic shape it would be in.  But shoot, $995 for that machine?  If it came to me dented & scratched I'd keep it for my own workstation.

When it arrived, it was breathtaking.  Absolutely pristine and perfect, booted up the first time and has been running 24/7 ever since Christmas morning 2006.  The cardboard box, however, had multiple COD stickers and lots of handwritten notes -- clearly, somebody had bought the machine but failed to pay for it.

Not every machine there is a COD return.  Many are legitimate warranty failures, fixed by Dell and ready to be sold.  Others are "scratch and dent" babies, having been abused in the factory before ever seeing a customer.  Still others may be demo models, used by Dell salespeople.  But all are clearly marked with their story so you can steer your selection accordingly, if you so choose.

The only thing to remember about the Dell Outlet is that every machine there is unique, and while they can be customized/upgraded you'll rapidly approach the price of a "new" computer if you let Dell do it.  Some computers will have no CD or DVD drive, some will have two DVD's and one CD writer, some will have 2GB RAM, others 256M.  It pays to read the specifications for each one.  Some configurations are so ludicrous you have to wonder what the customer was thinking.

Also, for some reason the laptop section of the Outlet store is disappointing.  The prices there are almost the same as for a new laptop... perhaps because the laptop market is so competitive and there's little margin?  Whatever; I just am not impressed.

Yes, there are many cheap places to buy hardware online, but rarely can you find a combination of quality and support for such a low price.  The Dell Outlet Store is worth a look.

DISCLAIMER: I am not a Dell employee, do not know any Dell employees, do not have any relationship with Dell aside from my having bought shootloads of stuff from them over the years.  Yes, their phone support sucks sometimes (I've written about it) and their printers were designed by Satan to confound even the smartest of us.  My wife did meet Michael Dell one time and reports that he's a "nice man" with warm hands, a sweet smile, and dreamy eyes that swallow your soul.  Should I be worried?

tinjaw

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Dell Outlet Store!
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2007, 09:20 AM »
I had no idea the outlet store existed. Thanks for taking the time to write this up. I usually just build my own, because I enjoy it. (Kind of like some people always have a hobby tinkering with cars.) However, I know many people who would find this Dell option very appealing. I'm going to start recommending to people who ask me about getting a new rig.

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2007, 09:47 AM »

justice

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2007, 07:49 PM »
on Ebay UK theres a dell outlet as well selling the pcs even cheaper than in their outlet store.

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2007, 08:11 PM »
Here is the UK version - but I have to day the prices don't look that brilliant for a potentially refurbished or warranty repaired machine!

http://www1.euro.del...k&l=en&s=dfo

[Edit ... oops - sorry nudone I didn't see you already posted the link)

mrainey

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Website
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2007, 09:16 PM »
their phone support sucks sometimes

I had an extremely bad experience with their warranty repair service a few years ago, and it was obvious from the postings on the Dell community forum that I had lots of company.  I will never buy another Dell.

Software For Metalworking
http://closetolerancesoftware.com

Ralf Maximus

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2007, 01:23 AM »
I'm not a big defender of Dell, believe me.  I've had about 50% success rate on getting warranty work done right without major hassle.  However, I will share this small tip:

Even if you're buying for home use, register as a small business and buy through their home/small biz division.  That side of things seems to be way more responsive and professional than the consumer division, which seems to farm out everything to Indian call centers.  Also, pricing seems to be same if not better for "business" buyers, plus there appear to be lots of email deals/specials/coupons that "home" buyers don't see.

Also, Dell Europe is very different than the American branch.  My wife, who is Norwegian, swore she would never buy another Dell after her disaterous experience while living in Oslo.  Since she moved here she has handled support requests for Dell warranty service on my business PCs and reports that the experience has been refreshingly positive.

FWIW.

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2007, 02:12 AM »
their phone support sucks sometimes

I had an extremely bad experience with their warranty repair service a few years ago, and it was obvious from the postings on the Dell community forum that I had lots of company.  I will never buy another Dell.

I've owned 3 laptops (not that this is a lot or anything!), and IMO Dell's support is not worst than others (I got a replacement battery in 2 days, and a new DVD r/rw in 2-3 days also -- I've had less chance with my BSODs, but that was expected...). It seems to me that Dell's support has improved in the last 2 years. But since Dell is one of the 2 largest computer vendor out there (with HP), of course you'll still find a lot of complaints on the net, and... you might be one of the unlucky ones. I wouldn't be surprised if complaints are pretty much (but maybe not completely) proportional to the number of sales.

My brother had a terrible experience with Apple (refused to take back a burning hot ibook, etc.). So there you go.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2007, 02:17 AM by Armando »