topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 3:53 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Free virtualization options  (Read 25043 times)

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Free virtualization options
« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2007, 09:02 AM »
Hm, Parallels isn't MAC-only anymore? worth a try, then...
- carpe noctem

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2007, 06:23 PM »
MS VirtualPC is fine - though on both machines I've installed it on the cooling unit kicks into high gear pretty much the instant the VM opens up. I'm relatively content with it...There's the odd niggle - like I've got one that insists on opening full screen and I've not found a way to disable it but other than things like that it works and it's free. Good enough for now.

Parallels does look nice and the price is not outrageous - I'll be keeping a lookout for reviews.

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2007, 06:33 PM »
Parallels seems to have been available for Windows for the last year or so and is in version 2.

I haven't done much with it yet but I installed it with a trial key with no problems. I downloaded ASPLinux (VM appliance) which started up without problems and I installed Windows XP from the installation CD.

It seems to access USB devices natively but I need to experiment to see how well they work. You can attach physical drives or disc images for CD/DVD drives and floppies.

All seems to work fine.

It is remarkably similar in look and feel to VMware Workstation 5 which I have also - but if anything it seems a bit lighter on resources.

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: November 05, 2007, 06:51 PM »
Thanks Carol - that's good to know. I'm still reeling a bit over the price. The sticker shock associated with VMWare has me permanently scarred, expecting to pay BIG money for proprietary solutions like this. I may have to download a trial.

tinjaw

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: November 05, 2007, 06:57 PM »
Microsoft Virtual Server 2005 R2 SP1 is now available.

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: November 05, 2007, 07:16 PM »
Thanks Carol - that's good to know. I'm still reeling a bit over the price. The sticker shock associated with VMWare has me permanently scarred, expecting to pay BIG money for proprietary solutions like this. I may have to download a trial.

At about 1/3 of the price of VMWare I think Parallels is worth a look if you aren't happy with the free solutions.

I can't quite imagine who buys VMWare Workstation any more. It would cost me twice as much as Parallels just to upgrade to version 6. I can see that businesses have a vested interest in staying with a product they are confident in and that offers a good support and licensing model but for small companies and individuals I think VMWare are shooting themselves in the foot and will see their market share diminishing as new free/cheaper products gain a foothold.

steeladept

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: November 14, 2007, 10:11 AM »
All I can say is this:  I have been working with VM products for over a year at work and have found several I like, a few I don't like as much, and a BUNCH of niche products.  Parallels does have some drawbacks from what I have heard and seen, though I have not tried the Windows Version.  If you are a MAC user, though, VMWare Fusion is a nicer product with many of the same qualities and a lower price.  The main ones I have seen in detail that I like and have worked with are below.

On the Windows side, I have found it really depends on what you are doing and are willing to spend to get it done.  By and large, MS Virtual PC is the absolute best way to go for OS virtualization.  It is a bit heavier on resources than VMWare, but it is free and allows you to create virtual machines.  It also allows for many of the nicer tools to manage and work with the virtual systems.  VMWare Workstation is the main competitor here (in my opinion).  It has many of the same options but more refined controls and just a better feel to it.  It also allows a business to work up and down the "Virtual Path" without having to change toolsets.  That said, the price is definitely steep.  Is it worth it?  Depends on your situation and what you already know I suppose.

However, if you find yourself wanting to use virtualization for sandboxing (primarily) on only one OS, you may want to look at Altairis.  Altairis VSN is an APPLICATION virtualization product.  Basically it has a layer that sits on Windows and wraps all other programs in a wrapper.  This wrapper provides all DLL's and other software resouces by copying the file and using the copy.  This isolates each program and prevents it from conflicting with other applications.  The down sides are you are tied to one OS and cannot use the virtualization to try different things such as useful for trying new code on the fly.  On the up side, it provides businesses with a quick and easy package for installing software and it moves the virtualization hit from the memory to the disk.

Lastly, one I really like (though it isn't free) is a hybrid between the two.  Virtuosso is a OS Virtualization product that works differently.  You can only virtualize additional copies of the host OS, because it takes the files of the OS itself, copies them, and uses them to make completely independent virtual machines.  This seems to me to be a very efficient way to make virtual machines, particularly for the servers.  One machine to upgrade upgrades ALL virtual machines because they utilize the same files.  It also offloads some of the memory hits you get from traditional OS virtualization options.  With VMWare, for example, running 4 OS's at the same time (not including the host OS that still requires resources) brought my machine to a crawl with 3GB of memory and each VM utilizing only 256MB (they were lightweight Linux machines).  With Virtuosso, however, you can run up to 100 copies of the host OS (or so they claim, I only ran 5 copies on the same 3 GB machine, but didn't take a significant performance hit like I did with VMWare).  On the down side, if you are using virtualization to try different OS's or even for various OS environments, this will not do.  As already mentioned it only allows the host OS to exist virtually. 

My uses of virtualization were to try to test programs in as many environments that are at work as possible.  As such, I needed OS virtualization, and since we already had VMWare, I utilized that.  In a server environment, I would likely try to run Virtuosso from SWSoft, or VMWare ESX/GSX depending on other mitigating circumstances.  For personal development - all other things being equal - I would use VirtualPC, and for application management and software distribution, I would use Altairis (well application virtualization anyway, I would have to determine what fits in this realm best as this is one area I didn't dig too deep in). 

Sorry to ramble on, but my point is the best product to use depends on your purpose, as usual.  Hope this helps a little...

tinjaw

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: November 14, 2007, 10:22 AM »
FYI VMware Server V. 2 is in beta.

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #33 on: November 14, 2007, 11:36 AM »
steeladept - many thanks! I've scanned what you've written but will have to wait to get home from work to give it more attention.  :Thmbsup:

zajc

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #34 on: November 14, 2007, 01:47 PM »
In previous message Altairis VSN was mentioned.

Funny, I can't find it on the web :-[

Can somebody please provide a link :tellme:

Thanks  :)
« Last Edit: November 14, 2007, 01:50 PM by zajc »

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #35 on: November 14, 2007, 04:06 PM »
A similar solution to Altiris SVS is Sandboxie.

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #36 on: November 14, 2007, 04:33 PM »
You can download Altiris Personal from

http://www.download....2651_4-10729116.html

or

http://juice.altiris.com/node/86

Also the main site for extra info is

http://juice.altiris.com/svs

ugrcoder

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #37 on: November 22, 2007, 01:44 AM »
I'm pretty sure that MS Virtual PC cannot access USB devices. VM Player can. In my option, VM Player is better. You can download the free VM Converter and convert Virtual PC disk images or physical PC to a VM image file. So, you could create a Windows 2000 image using Virtual PC, convert it to VM and then run it in VM Player. You can install the VM Tools in VM Player which makes everything work better.

Cheers
ugr