topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 5:55 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Archivarius  (Read 69393 times)

m_s

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Archivarius
« on: September 29, 2005, 03:28 PM »
Archivarius

I have tried most of the mainstream desktop search tools, starting with blinkx and the first beta from Google.  I especially liked Copernic, and that was the one I ran for the longest period.  When Google launched their latest version, I decided to give it another try, tempted by some of the nice interface design work going on over at aqua-soft.org (especially the Getchoo project).  Then I installed NOD32, and stumbled upon the documented incompatibility between these two products (read Google websites and you’ll learn it’s NOD’s fault, read security websites and you’ll learn it’s Google’s fault).   That was a drag, but not enough to convince to change desktop searcher again.  But then I changed my email over to The Bat!, and it was only yesterday that I realised GDS was no longer indexing new mail.  A bit of research turned up a plugin for GDS, but that was described as buggy (and I would still have the draggy NOD/GDS problem); so I decided to look around.  There is an excellent comparative chart of the various Desktop Search tools over at: http://www.goebelgro...om/desktopmatrix.htm  I hadn’t heard of the only program listed there that indexed The Bat!, Archivarius 3000, so I decided to give it a try – and I really like what I found.

Like most of the other tools in its class, Archivarius is a small download (3mb) – you’ll find it over at www.likasoft.com.  I found it a very straightforward install, and it indexed my 35,000 documents and emails in a matter of minutes.  In creating an index, you start by choosing exactly what you want indexed, either by selecting common items or choosing specific files, folders, or data types.  So you’re completely and easily in charge of what is and isn’t archived, right from the start.  If you choose, for instance, to index your The Bat! email, you then go on to select which folders should and shouldn’t be indexed.

Next, you can choose morphological options (!), which simplifies searching in a multi-language environment.  I don’t need this facility, so I’ve not looked into it much.  Archivarius apparently understands natural language queries; according to the Likasoft website, ‘While searching, the program automatically generates all forms of words, which provide full-text documents search in 16 languages.’  These languages are: English, German, Spanish, French, Czech, Dutch, Greek, Hungarian, Italian, Portuguese, Russian, Swedish, Bulgarian, Danish, Ukrainian and Belarusian.

Next, you get to choose which document types are indexed – it really is an exhaustive list, from common word-processing formats (MS Word, Write, and Works; WordPerfect, RTF) through Excel, PDF, ICQ chat files, and many more (including Zinio Reader magazines, which is new format to me, and looks fun and useful). 

Then you choose file extensions to be indexed, then document encodings, then whether or not to extract documents from archives (which is done with a built-in archiver, so no external software is needed).

All of these settings, after the first step of choosing what you want to index, can be set in Program Settings and inherited from there – and the default settings are probably going to be fine for most users (and certainly for me!).

When you’re done with all this, you can choose when the index is created – either immediately, or at a later time – and you can get an estimate of how big the index will be: on this machine, it comes to most of a whopping half-a-gigabyte, but disk space is cheap, and the lightning fast search results are well-worth that impact to me.

So, once it’s finished indexing, you can just click on the ‘Search’ button and enter your query, and within moments – it tells you how many moments in the bottom right corner of its window – the results are there, previewed with each of your search terms highlighted.  I put my boss’s name in (this is the machine I use as his secretary), and up come more than 20,000 results in just over 12 seconds.  Double-click any one of those and you open the hit in a simple text viewer (which, according to the website, can deal with very large files); again, each of your search terms is highlighted. 

Or you can switch to list view, which simply lists file titles, folders, dates, without previews.  You can also choose from a number of different headers in this list, so it’s highly customisable.

You can also index and search remotely, as well as on removable media.  All this, and it’s running at just 16mb of memory while open, and at less than 10mb when it’s running in the system tray. 

Unlike the other Desktop Searchers I tried, you can specify when it does its indexing, so you’re always in easy control. 

I like Archivarius – it’s simple and straightforward, but it doesn’t sacrifice any flexibility or control.  It’s a powerful indexer and searcher – and it indexes what I consider to be the best email client around.  It does what it says on the box, reliably and plainly, and it’s just what I need in my work.

Of course, I’m just getting to know it, and what I’ve said here is really a beginner’s enthusiasm in getting to know a new program – there are so many features I haven’t even looked into yet, but I’ll recommend it very highly based on my experience so far.

[I embedded the images by simply uploading them to https://www.donation...r.com/Forums/userup/ - mouser]

« Last Edit: September 29, 2005, 04:49 PM by mouser »

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Archivarius
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2005, 04:18 PM »
Interesting - let us know how you get on with this.

For future reference the only way I have found to embed images in the message body is to upload them to the web somewhere and then insert the image via a URL (there is an image button above the message wrtiting window).

If you haven't got easy access to webspace you could sign up for free space at Yahoo.com (just sign up for a free email account and then go to your user profile and set up a free Geocities account). I don't really like Geocities as a webhosting solution (too many ads on the pages) but as a repository for graphics it is fine ;)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2005, 04:43 PM »
fantastic review!!!  :up: :up: :up:

really nice to hear the background also about what drove you from the mainstream tools.

i tend to agree with your desire to have a search tool that you have real control over which doesn't index stuff unless and until you tell it to, which is another reason i liked archivarius as well.  plus the fact that it indexed .chm files.

i will see if i can't find a way to reference images attached to posts - seems like it should be possible..

you can always email me pics and id be happy to upload them to https://www.donation...r.com/Forums/userup/ where you can easily link to them.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2005, 04:50 PM by mouser »

clif_notes

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Clif Notes Newsletter
    • View Profile
    • Clif Notes Newsletter
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2005, 01:06 AM »
I agree, excellent review. This is yet another one I'd like to host in an upcoming newsletter. Does that sound ok to you M_S?

It would be hosted at http://freewarewiki....ifsCurrentNewsletter and later filed in the archive.

You'd get full credit and a guest page if you want it. I'd also provide a link back to this forum.
Guest pages are usually a short bio or other information the guest reviewer wishes to share.

Devoted to promoting freeware and free information

clif_notes

• Joined in 2005
  • Clif Notes Newsletter
    • View Profile
    • Clif Notes Newsletter
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2005, 01:12 AM »
Hi all,

Carol and Mouser both just mentioned hosting pics.
I use the following free image hosting services and have never lost a pic. All three encourage hotlinking and even provide the code for direct links, indirect links, thumbnails, forum bbcode links, etc.
Arranged in order of the favorite to least favorite. Some are better at some things than others.

Photobucket http://www.photobucket.com
ImageShack http://imageshack.us
ImageCave http://www.imagecave.com

You would be happy with almost any one of them for posting in a forum.

m_s

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2005, 02:46 AM »
You're very welcome to do that, Clif.  I have a paragraph I want to add to the text later.  You could p.m. me with an email address, and I'll let you have the completed text.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2005, 05:15 AM »
You know what would be nice, maybe we can make a little small graphic icon representing donationcoder.com reviews and user mini-reviews, that sites like cliff's can use when they use to identify something from donationcoder.com..

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2005, 05:46 AM »
Thanks cliff, maybe we should
1) make a sticky post in the Official Announcements section about image hosting sites.
2) get a consensus for which site might be best (and add it to Links page).

so, people have opinions on which service is best?

Nighted

• Joined in 2005
  • Meat Popsicle
    • View Profile
    • Nighted@deviantART
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2005, 06:53 AM »
What kind if graphics...like a small banner?
I`m a firm believer in the philosophy of a ruling class, especially since I rule.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2005, 07:02 AM »
yeah, something like images here:
https://www.donation.../About/presskit.html

but specifically indicating some content to read more about on donationcoder.com.

maybe i could just add a line of text to that middle one saying something like "Read the Review" or something.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2005, 07:13 AM »
Found some reviews of image hosting services:
http://www.free-webh...ee-image-hosting.php

Nighted

• Joined in 2005
  • Meat Popsicle
    • View Profile
    • Nighted@deviantART
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2005, 08:13 AM »
Yeah, and you could animate it to make it more noticeable. Have the text that's already there flip over or something.
I`m a firm believer in the philosophy of a ruling class, especially since I rule.

clif_notes

• Joined in 2005
  • Clif Notes Newsletter
    • View Profile
    • Clif Notes Newsletter
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2005, 10:33 AM »
You're very welcome to do that, Clif.  I have a paragraph I want to add to the text later.  You could p.m. me with an email address, and I'll let you have the completed text.

No need for a PM.  ;)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v88/clif_notes/images/cngmailpic.gif
Archivarius

clif_notes

• Joined in 2005
  • Clif Notes Newsletter
    • View Profile
    • Clif Notes Newsletter
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2005, 10:39 AM »
Found some reviews of image hosting services:
http://www.free-webh...ee-image-hosting.php

That's a good site. I found it last year. They've also got reviews on free email services and free webhosting. I've checked out most of the image services there but I'm happy with the ones I mentioned above. Let me know when you've started a thread on them and I'll be happy to contribute.

clif_notes

• Joined in 2005
  • Clif Notes Newsletter
    • View Profile
    • Clif Notes Newsletter
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2005, 10:47 AM »
Well, darn-it. I thought it was a free program. My fault.
That nixes a review in my newsletter.

I'd be happy to show off a review of any other free desktop search if you've got any around ...

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2005, 10:52 AM »
carol was threatening to review msn desktop search but i think she's gone a-dancing tonight :)

m_s

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2005, 10:54 AM »
I wondered about that, Clif.  Perhaps I should have said that more plainly - hell, even said it at all!  Although I think it would be clear as soon as you followed the link to the site...

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2005, 07:46 PM »
carol was threatening to review msn desktop search but i think she's gone a-dancing tonight :)

Was I - news to me ;) (MSN by the way).

Unfortunately dancing was out - the concert (http://www.joanarmatrading.com/) was excellent but the seating was really uncomfortable. I couldn't actually sit straight in m seat because the balcony wall was too close in front of me. Poor chap next to me was even more uncomfy as his legs were too long even sitting at an angle!

If you want to see her she still has quite a few UK dates and Belgium (!!!) (unfortunately the US and Canada dates were last month).

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2007, 04:52 PM »
This Archivarius is a cool piece of software.  I really like it a lot, from what little I've used it.  Granted, I'm not too big on desktop searching softwares, namely because I keep my computer really OCD organized.  I have an extremely organized file structure, I keep multiple note-taking databases for random notes and information, and my email program is well organized as well.  But, sometimes, it does help to find something where you need to search across the board.  Archivarius does this pretty nicely.  And it's a lightweight program!  And relatively cheap, especially if you're a student.

The only other desktop search I've used is X1, and I like archivarius better.  There's barely anything on the internet about this program, how come?  Weird.

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2007, 05:45 PM »
Hm, I guess I might give it a spin... not too keen on the desktop search things, but I guess that's because the first I ever looked as was google, with it's horrible run-in-webbrowser strategy, and the almost viral way it pops up on people's machines >_<

EDIT: I think I need to tweak the settings of which file to index a bit... or perhaps index only part of my data. Estimate: 690'152 documents, 396.89 GB, 146.8GB index size. That's a task for tomorrow :)
- carpe noctem
« Last Edit: April 17, 2007, 06:15 PM by f0dder »

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2007, 11:06 PM »
Geez man, why do you have so many documents?  You must be a programmer...indeed, you are (I looked at your bio).  Nice!

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2007, 11:48 PM »
superboyac - what is it that you especially like about archivarius? I'm just curious - I've tried Filehand, YDS, X1 and have recently gone back to Copernic. X1 was the best of the bunch in terms of speed and features but had all sorts of "issues", most irritatingly with Outlook (putting a notebook into standby or hibernate with Outlook minimized to the system tray - take that, Raymond Chen  :P - caused errors in both X1 and Outlook on resuming my system). Copernic is OK, but it takes quite a while to display previews of the files that it finds, which is very annoying. Perhaps I should take archivarius for a test drive...

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2007, 12:50 AM »
superboyac - what is it that you especially like about archivarius? I'm just curious - I've tried Filehand, YDS, X1 and have recently gone back to Copernic. X1 was the best of the bunch in terms of speed and features but had all sorts of "issues", most irritatingly with Outlook (putting a notebook into standby or hibernate with Outlook minimized to the system tray - take that, Raymond Chen  :P - caused errors in both X1 and Outlook on resuming my system). Copernic is OK, but it takes quite a while to display previews of the files that it finds, which is very annoying. Perhaps I should take archivarius for a test drive...
Darwin, like I said before, I'm not much of a desktop search user, so I can't discuss the details like I normally do with other software.  From what little experience I had, it seemed like Archivarius was just really lightweight, it's interface was simple, yet nothing really lacking.  It was fast (faster than x1 from my experience).  The only other one I've tried is x1, and I felt like archivarius was a little less intrusive as far as monitoring.  I don't know, like I said, I barely have any experience with these kinds of softwares.  I know a big issue with these are how compatible it is with your specific email program, etc., but I didn't even consider that.  i was only concerned about text documents, word documents, and the like.

Basically, Archivarius just felt better than x1 and I liked it right off the bat.  I base this on nothing more than a "sense" I've developed from using a lot of software.  That probably doesn't help you at all, but it's the truth in this case.

Maybe someone with more experience should do a roundup of desktop search software, any volunteers?

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2007, 09:23 AM »
EDIT: I think I need to tweak the settings of which file to index a bit... or perhaps index only part of my data. Estimate: 690'152 documents, 396.89 GB, 146.8GB index size. That's a task for tomorrow :)

Is that 146.8GB a typo, or
is that the norm,
that the Index size would be almost half the size of the indexed files !!! :tellme:
Would that also be the norm for other desktop searchers ?
Tom

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2007, 11:32 AM »
I think the size of the index depends on the type of files.  For example, if you're a programmer and you have 300 GB of code, that's basically all text, so the index (which is all text) is going to be large.  But if you have a lot of word documents (text in a bloated container) then the index will be smaller.  So, it just depends on the kinds of files you have.