topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday April 18, 2024, 1:31 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Auto-renew fees just slammed me!  (Read 5168 times)

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Auto-renew fees just slammed me!
« on: October 28, 2007, 05:34 PM »
I absolutely hate anything or service that auto-renews on an annual basis. First, I can't remember what or when it's due (I don't keep up with that crap). Second, I probably don't want to renew it, since it didn't change my life. And third, they always renew when I'm totally broke, slamming my tiny little checking account! No notice, no option, no thank you, just debited the amount, and I don't recall ever signing or approving any auto-renew option. I mean, WTF mate!

Bring guns and lawyers!

Josh

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Auto-renew fees just slammed me!
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2007, 05:43 PM »
May I ask who or what company had this policy that slammed you?

Grorgy

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2007, 05:51 PM »
feed demon do that, i was trying to find a solution to a problem on their website and discovered i was signed up for an auto renew, while i havent actually removed their product yet, i havent sorted out the problem either, and dont use it anymore, but the only reason i was looking was a suggestion on their forum telling us to go to non existent options so i was looking everywhere lol

Edit  I did cancel auto renew

edbro

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2007, 05:59 PM »
Most magazines do that nowadays. You gotta be careful.

One remedy is to sign up with a one-time use credit card number.

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2007, 06:59 PM »
Good advice, edbro. We, as consumers, must REALLY be careful. There are some pretty evil schemes to part you from your cash out there and even more insidious schemes to keep doing it. I like the internet services that allow you to sign up for free 7 day trials and require you to submt all of your cc information in order to set up the free account. If you forget to cancel the subscription it switches to paid mode after the seven days. Good luck getting your money back. Of course, the incident I am recalling with discomfort WAS my fault (WTF was I thinking submtting my cc without reading the fine print?!) but the silver lining lies in a lesson learned  :o