topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday April 18, 2024, 6:27 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: The Abrupt Goodbye  (Read 6496 times)

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
The Abrupt Goodbye
« on: October 17, 2007, 11:47 PM »
Here's a social experiment of a game called The Abrupt Goodbye, which is a conversation between a woman and a blind man. The entire conversation is written by people who visit the site. The only info you are given is that there is a blind man sitting on a bench in the subway and a woman comes and sits down next to him.

When you start the game you get to choose which role of the conversation you will play, the blind man or the woman.
Abrupt Goodbye - Who are you.pngThe Abrupt Goodbye
The Abrupt Goodbye
If you pick male, you start the conversation. If you pick female, the man says something to you first and you choose the response.

Abrupt Goodbye - Look Familiar.pngThe Abrupt Goodbye

But like I said every part of dialog is written by people like you and me who visit the site. It seems to have a maximum of five responses per turn, so if there aren't five, you have a chance to write your own.

Abrupt Goodbye - Afternoon.pngThe Abrupt Goodbye

Any time you write your own, the conversation will abruptly end with the woman leaving.

Abrupt Goodbye - Woman is Gone.pngThe Abrupt Goodbye

This is because nobody has written a response to what you just entered, so the game cannot continue on that particular line of dialog yet. Also, you will never see a response to choose from unless it has a response written to it. So if your only choice is to type in a custom response, you're the first person to see/respond to that particular thread of dialog.

It's kind of fun to see what people are coming up with. It's also built to sort the responses based on popularity. The ones that don't get clicked move down the list and are eventually deleted.

More info about the game, made by Andy Schatz can be found here: http://www.garagegam...om/blogs/44702/13730

TeaTime

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • A smilling laugh!
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: The Abrupt Goodbye
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2007, 03:16 PM »
The blind man tells the woman he loves her perfume 8)
The sun is always rising somewhere!

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: The Abrupt Goodbye
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2007, 03:25 PM »
The blind man tells the woman he loves her perfume 8)

He might. But, if you look at the example pictures I posted, every one of those options where you can click "Say" or type your own can be chosen. So for instance, if you're playing as the man and you pick "You look familiar." The woman will come back and say one of:

"How can you tell?"
"What are you saying? All black people look alike?"
"You mean I SMELL familiar?"

Or something else someone typed in.

So in that same example, if you were playing as the woman and you picked "You mean I SMELL familiar?" then someone (maybe yourself) may have written "Yeah, I love your perfume!" which might be the response you get.

It's interesting, and I think it will continue to get more interesting as more people play with it and come up with different branching dialogs.