topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 5:11 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: SQLNotes...what is it exactly?  (Read 834208 times)

PPLandry

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • InfoQube Information manager
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
SQLNotes: the next generation information organizer
« Reply #500 on: January 28, 2008, 10:46 PM »
I think I am going to have to write a song about SQLNotes.
I better change the name real quick then
Real generosity toward the future lies in giving all to the present -- Albert Camus -- www.InfoQube.biz
« Last Edit: February 07, 2008, 08:47 AM by PPLandry »

PPLandry

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #501 on: January 28, 2008, 11:27 PM »
As per superboyac suggestion, I can now choose to base the pivot table/chart on the grid source (as before) OR on the displayed items (as suggested). The latter is more "user-friendly".

I'll finalize it tomorrow and publish an updated built with this new feature. right-click on the pivot to toggle mode.

p.s. The difference is due to the outlining features of SQLNotes. What is displayed in the grid is what meets the grid criteria PLUS all items which were expanded. This is often very different and is causing confusion. Perhaps superboyac can explain it better (from a user's perspective)
Real generosity toward the future lies in giving all to the present -- Albert Camus -- www.InfoQube.biz
« Last Edit: February 07, 2008, 08:47 AM by PPLandry »

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: SQLNotes...what is it exactly?
« Reply #502 on: January 28, 2008, 11:49 PM »
oooohhhh... Really nice!!! Thanks Pierre!  :)
(And I can't wait for the "Outlook like" calendar feature  8) )

PPLandry

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #503 on: January 28, 2008, 11:53 PM »
oooohhhh... Really nice!!! Thanks Pierre!  :)
(And I can't wait for the "Outlook like" calendar feature  8) )
Check out this thread regarding the new bug tracking software. You'll see the calendar in the Roadmap...
All users are welcome to post suggestions/bugs, etc:
http://www.sqlnotes....e/posts/Default.aspx

bug tracking is here: http://mantis.sqlnot...s.net/login_page.php
« Last Edit: February 07, 2008, 08:48 AM by PPLandry »

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #504 on: January 28, 2008, 11:59 PM »
Thanks --> Just checked out Mantis. Nice!

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #505 on: January 29, 2008, 03:01 AM »
I think I am going to have to write a song about SQLNotes.

;D ;D ;D

oops, hadnt seen page 21 yet
Tom

David1904

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #506 on: January 29, 2008, 04:28 AM »
There are a number of ways to do this, each with advantages and disadvantages. The first way that comes to mind is to:
1- In the "AddressBook" grid, create families and members as sub-items. Add pertinent information (age group, etc)
2- In an "Events" grid, create events with all pertinent information (date, location, etc)
3- To link the two, select participants (families or individual persons) and add them as sub-items of the event (tag the items and add tagged items as subs). More details if desired.
Visually, it will work quite well.
As for the pivot table analysis, a proposed modification (by superboyac) will allow the pivot table to compile statistics for such a grid (the current pivot cannot since the source is not well defined).

I can build such a solution if you wish. Approx time: 10-15 min.

I think I tried what you suggested - but when right clicking an item to tag it, I got "Dancing Alone" with a date of 28/11/2007 appearing as a sub item under the first individual in the first family. I found that item is in the Music Libray grid - and can't see how it got connected
Probably I need a few more details and a bit of help on this one! - I'm not really a database person.

Thanks,
David

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #507 on: January 29, 2008, 04:38 AM »
I was just trying to add items as sub-items via tagging -
it worked but I got a second blank sub-item each time as well as the one that had been tagged -
when I removed* it I saw there was info in it, just that it's item name was blank
-
just thinking now could it have been something that was tagged previously - does tagging remain until removed?

* actually I deleted it but believe I should have selected "Remove parent link" from context menu instead....
Tom
« Last Edit: January 29, 2008, 04:40 AM by tomos »

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #508 on: January 29, 2008, 04:44 AM »
I got "Dancing Alone" with a date of 28/11/2007 appearing as a sub item under the first individual in the first family. I found that item is in the Music Libray grid - and can't see how it got connected

going by my previous post,
you could try removing all items from tag list (again, in context menu its in with "add items to tag list" entry) and then try again
Tom

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #509 on: January 29, 2008, 06:32 AM »
I got "Dancing Alone" with a date of 28/11/2007 appearing as a sub item under the first individual in the first family. I found that item is in the Music Libray grid - and can't see how it got connected

you could try removing all items from tag list (again, in context menu its in with "add items to tag list" entry) and then try again

tried a couple of test items here -
when I clear the tag list, it works as expected
Tom

David1904

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #510 on: January 30, 2008, 05:01 PM »

tried a couple of test items here -
when I clear the tag list, it works as expected

Yes, when I cleared tags and then began fresh it worked.
However, when put in an attendance date for an individual (for the first week) and then entered one again for the same individual (or family) on the second week - it modified the first entry to contain the same value. I created an attendance checkbox in another column, and the same thing happens. Any alteration made on any one of the attendance rows changes the value on all other rows for that individual/family.

Can anyone help? Pierre - maybe I could use that kind offer of an example from you - I just can't figure out how all these "bits" hang together.

Thanks,

David

PPLandry

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #511 on: January 30, 2008, 05:19 PM »
No problem. I'll work on this today and keep you posted. If you want send what you have to betasupport@sql...

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #512 on: January 30, 2008, 06:49 PM »
Just a reminder that I'm waiting for the import features (the texnotes one I mentioned earlier, and the import/export grids between files).  I don't mean to rush, I've just put my involvement on hold because I haven't been able to transfer my data into the program.  As soon as it's possible, everything I have is going inside SQLNotes.

PPLandry

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #513 on: January 30, 2008, 08:49 PM »
Just a reminder that I'm waiting for the import features (the texnotes one I mentioned earlier, and the import/export grids between files).  I don't mean to rush, I've just put my involvement on hold because I haven't been able to transfer my data into the program.  As soon as it's possible, everything I have is going inside SQLNotes.
I haven't forgotten... I've been busy setting-up the bug tracking web site (you can input all your desired features in it if you want) and with some other consulting work.

PPLandry

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #514 on: January 30, 2008, 10:49 PM »
Yes, where you have a situation of families attending a regular event and you want to be able to record both the presence of family units at one or more events and also individual presence at one or more events (when sometimes only some family members are present). It would be be good to be able to produce a pivot table/chart showing attendance by family and/or individual on a per week/month/year basis. A further refinement is where individuals might also belong to one of three or four age brackets and you want to analyse attendance by either family representation, or perhaps individual participation, within those age brackets.

Would such a setup be a good solution ?
1- Families/members are entered in the AddressBook grid. A flag is used to identify that an entry is a family (not a person)
2- Events are created in the Events grid.
3- To record presence, drag-drop individuals/families from the AddressBook grid to that event in the Events grid (or tag them and add tagged items as subs)

You'll get this:
Attendance.jpgSQLNotes...what is it exactly?

Currently, the analysis, pivot table/chart, would need to be done using Access. But this would be an interesting addition to be able to analyse such a structure directly in SQLNotes.

The only way to be able to analyse in SQLNotes, would be to create a field for each event. If this is suitable, then I can propose a different solution.

PPLandry

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #515 on: February 04, 2008, 07:10 PM »
bug tracking is here: http://mantis.sqlnot...s.net/login_page.php

It was promised, here it is. It is now possible to feed into SQLNotes the feature request/bug tracking data entered into Mantis. With a click of a button, SQLNotes will connect to the mySQL database and obtain all changes to the issues. Steps are:

1. Download and install the mySQL ODBC driver (version 3.51)
   2. Download the solution zip file from the download area: http://www.sqlnotes....abid/61/Default.aspx [edit] You need to also install the latest build! [/edit]
   3. Copy both the .SNDB and the sync XML file to the same folder
   4. Open the file.
   5. To read-in updates, do Tool>Database management>Sync with external databases (you can customize the toolbar (right-click->customize) to add it to a toolbar)

The Mantis web UI is nice, but SQLNotes is so much nicer and faster to use!
MantisLink.jpgSQLNotes...what is it exactly?
p.s. This feature will be enhanced to be able to sync with more than one database, to sync with data coming from web services, etc. So see this as a first step.

[edit] You can still make changes to the SQLNotes file, add your own notes to issues, even add sub-items and parents (to group them). Your structure and extra info will be preserved on updates [/edit]

PPLandry

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #516 on: February 05, 2008, 11:55 PM »
@superboyac and Armando:

The following 2 3 issues are now fixed
1- CPU utilisation is now 0 when idle
2- Pivot table/chart are now based on the grid displayed items
3- Item grouping improvements
« Last Edit: February 06, 2008, 12:07 AM by PPLandry »

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #517 on: February 06, 2008, 12:00 AM »
@superboyac and Armando:

The following 2 issues are now fixed

Emphasis mine Does that mean that the third issue (Item grouping improvements) remains "unfixed"  :P

PPLandry

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #518 on: February 06, 2008, 12:03 AM »
See Issue 38 details (here: http://mantis.sqlnotes.net)
« Last Edit: February 07, 2008, 08:49 AM by PPLandry »

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #519 on: February 06, 2008, 12:02 PM »
Nice!

I'm getting the following error when I try to connect to the mantis database:
Screenshot_20080206-095710.pngSQLNotes...what is it exactly?
I have a firewall at work, I don't know if that's the problem.  I have internet access, but sometimes stuff like this gets blocked.  For example, I can't use irc.

Also, as far as the pivot table added functionality, when it reads items arranged in a hierarchy, it only seems to read down two sublevels.  So, my items that are in sublevels beyond that won't be read.  Take my transcript grid for example:

Degree program
--Year
----Semester
------Class

It will stop reading at Semester, so the classes won't appear.

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #520 on: February 06, 2008, 12:48 PM »

This is really really nice Pierre. #1 means that I'll be able to have SQLNotes running all the time!  :)
I'll have to check the 2 other points now.

(BTW : i guess that will be in a subsequent "daily build"?)
« Last Edit: February 06, 2008, 12:51 PM by Armando »

PPLandry

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #521 on: February 06, 2008, 03:24 PM »
Nice!

I'm getting the following error when I try to connect to the mantis database: (see attachment in previous post)I have a firewall at work, I don't know if that's the problem.  I have internet access, but sometimes stuff like this gets blocked.  For example, I can't use irc.

Also, as far as the pivot table added functionality, when it reads items arranged in a hierarchy, it only seems to read down two sublevels.  So, my items that are in sublevels beyond that won't be read.  Take my transcript grid for example:

Degree program
--Year
----Semester
------Class

It will stop reading at Semester, so the classes won't appear.

The mySQL driver uses port 3306 by default. You can change that in the ODBC setting. It may be blocked. You can try another port, though, I'm no expert on ports

As for the pivot, it works fine here, you may need to right-click on a blank area and do "refresh data" (make sure that when you right-click, you get a context menu with just 2 items. If you get more, you've right-clicked in the wrong place. I need to fix that)

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #522 on: February 06, 2008, 04:09 PM »
As for the pivot, it works fine here, you may need to right-click on a blank area and do "refresh data" (make sure that when you right-click, you get a context menu with just 2 items. If you get more, you've right-clicked in the wrong place. I need to fix that)
Ah!!  My bad!  I had the grid such that the courses were collapsed.  OK, so the pivot table reads only the data that is showing in the grid, even if there are sublevels that are hidden.

PPLandry

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #523 on: February 06, 2008, 04:12 PM »
That's what you asked isn't ?

I think that your suggestion was excellent. I had hesitations at first and wanted to allow users the choice between the two methods, but I think this way is the best. Time will tell if I add an option to work the old way too. (one more option, too many is as bad as too few)

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #524 on: February 06, 2008, 04:37 PM »
Yes, that's exactly right.  it's very useful.  It's quite awesome, actually, I love it.

The old way is fine also, but only if by default all the items appear in the field list regardless of whether or not they are expanded/collapsed or top level/sublevel.  This is a good compromise right now because the user can control what items appear by just changing the grid view.

I still think a good feature would be to save grid "states" I should add it to the list (I'll do it at home).