topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 2:48 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: SQLNotes...what is it exactly?  (Read 834299 times)

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: SQLNotes...what is it exactly?
« Reply #450 on: January 16, 2008, 05:40 PM »
I think this is a small bug. 12 jan + 1 day duration does give 13 jan but it should be < 13 jan, I use <=13 jan.

It is now fixed.

Indeed. I tried the new build and it now works as expected.  :up:

PPLandry

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • InfoQube Information manager
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
SQLNotes: the next generation information organizer
« Reply #451 on: January 16, 2008, 11:46 PM »
I've got the Mantis bug-tracking software working. So users will be able to post bug and suggestion. However I'll be off-line for a few days. We're going to beautiful Quebec city for a few days.

I'll activate the bug-tracking early next week. Cheers to all!
Real generosity toward the future lies in giving all to the present -- Albert Camus -- www.InfoQube.biz
« Last Edit: February 07, 2008, 08:50 AM by PPLandry »

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #452 on: January 17, 2008, 12:07 AM »
We're going to beautiful Quebec city for a few days.

Helping to celebrate its 400th birthday? NA's oldest, and only walled, city. Fabulous. I'm jealous!

Have a great trip!

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #453 on: January 17, 2008, 12:38 AM »
Have fun Pierre, you deserve a break!

I can't help it, here are some topics for you when you get back:
What is the Scratch Pad for and does it function any differently from any other grid?
What is the timeframe for adding the import feature which will allow me to import grids from other SQLNotes databases into the current one.  I have some grids I work on at work, and I have some I work on at home.  Eventually, I'd like to combine them.

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #454 on: January 17, 2008, 12:42 AM »
Superboyac - you live up to your screen name. I wish I could wade into the guts of programme as you have on this and other occasions and really wring them out. I install programmes and dabble - you OWN them. Awesome  :Thmbsup:

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #455 on: January 17, 2008, 10:26 AM »
Superboyac - you live up to your screen name. I wish I could wade into the guts of programme as you have on this and other occasions and really wring them out. I install programmes and dabble - you OWN them. Awesome  :Thmbsup:
Thanks for the words, Darwin!  Well, I don't do this with all programs, but I think SQLNotes is going to be really important in the future.  My thing is that I don't like to waste my life with needlessly repetitive tasks or things that take longer than they should.  So, computers are perfect for that.  They allow me to concentrate my time on things that really matter by doing all the dirty work for me.  SQLNotes is a great example of this.  I can have so much of my life's important information available with a click in this program.  That's going to be very useful.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #456 on: January 17, 2008, 11:02 AM »
I'm miles behind Superboyac but still see things I've been looking for for years in other programmes as possible here
Tom

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #457 on: January 17, 2008, 11:13 AM »
OK - you two have convinced me, time to install the latest build (I've got an old one from before Christmas installed and haven't been using it - no time)...   :)

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #458 on: January 17, 2008, 01:34 PM »
What is the Scratch Pad for and does it function any differently from any other grid?

This is how I use the scratch pad :

1- I use it for preliminary data gathering.

2- But, mostly, when I want to have an quick idea of "which field is populated with what data", or "what data is populating this particular field", I open the property pane, double click on a field, and the scratchpad automatically updates itself and shows what item contains data pertaining to that field. it might have other uses I don't know about.

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #459 on: January 17, 2008, 01:39 PM »
However I'll be off-line for a few days.

We're going to beautiful Quebec city for a few days.

It's been a while since I've been there. I used to have friends in Quebec, but now they're all in Montreal... So...  :)

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #460 on: January 17, 2008, 01:51 PM »
These entries about using the scratchpad came out in google :
http://www.sqlnotes....abid/58/Default.aspx
http://www.sqlnotes....e/posts/Default.aspx

M: Double-click on a field in the properties pane now displays that field as a column in the scratchpad (same as Ecco)

M: Can now open multiple scratchpad and search results grids at the same time. Shift-click on the grid toolbar to open a new one. Right-click on tab to move to a different tab group to see them side by side.

Soo, you see : it even seems that you can have multiple scratchpad.   :) I just learned that, tried it, but can't seem to achieve the desired results...

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #461 on: January 17, 2008, 04:03 PM »
Thanks Armando, I'll have to mess with that soon.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #462 on: January 20, 2008, 05:58 AM »
As part of the GTD implementation, new quick Add Item form is now available. CTRL-N to open it. A system-wide shortcut is also available to open it from anywhere (CTRL-ALT-N): (see attachment in previous post)

You can enter item text, decide into which folder to put it in (normally, the inbox) and put a due date if required

SQLnotes02.png

I'm trying to figure out what they are in the drop down list - are they all yes/no fields maybe/I think - yes, apart from "Adress" :-\
You call them folders (thought there wasnt any of them in SQL :P)

What I would love to see:-
want to organise my ToDo by Projects & maybe a couple of miscellaneous or whatever
If (in this Crtl+Alt+N box) I could save stuff in ToDo grid - but also choose an item (Project) and make the note a sub-item of this item

So then when I go in to ToDo I can look at a particular project or two, or naturally I can sort in some other way if preferred

Then, even better, if I could number them in some way that if I drag an item up the line the number changes
I suspect that's not likely possible - I'm trying to think of some way that I can easily change the order of the items - in order to make them show in order of importance. eg. new item that I want to slot into place three in a list of ten items
Then I could hopefuly show the top few from each project by filtering

Tom

PPLandry

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #463 on: January 20, 2008, 04:26 PM »
A few posts mentioned HTML pane export. I'm proposing to expand the current HTML export feature to include a check box to add the HTML pane text below the item as in this screenshot. Expand-collapse buttons will continue to work to show/hide sub-items
ExportPlusHTML.jpgSQLNotes...what is it exactly?

What do you think ? :tellme:
Real generosity toward the future lies in giving all to the present -- Albert Camus -- www.InfoQube.biz
« Last Edit: February 07, 2008, 08:51 AM by PPLandry »

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #464 on: January 20, 2008, 05:17 PM »
Well, it looks good to me! Especially if it's still possible to expand-collapse the hierarchy.

But would it be possible to also collapse the "HTML note" inside each item, maybe with an extra button/link saying "see text"... Would be possible? That would probably be the best (depending on how big is the item list, and how much text/image is in each item's "HTML pane").

PS : Hope your trip went nicely!  :)

Edit : is there an option in the menus, apart from the toolbar, for the HTML export?
nevermind... I just saw it...
« Last Edit: January 20, 2008, 05:19 PM by Armando »

PPLandry

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #465 on: January 20, 2008, 05:43 PM »
Well, it looks good to me! Especially if it's still possible to expand-collapse the hierarchy.

But would it be possible to also collapse the "HTML note" inside each item, maybe with an extra button/link saying "see text"... Would be possible? That would probably be the best (depending on how big is the item list, and how much text/image is in each item's "HTML pane").
I knew that the minute I added this option, someone would ask to be able to collapse the HTML section. It is more complicated, but of course feasible. Will do  :-[

Trip was outstanding. City is beautiful, B&B was charming and the food was memorable (3 service breakfast and lunch at Le Saint-Amour, miam miam). Now fasting! [edit Quebec city was preparing for next saturday's extreme sport: Red bull's downhill staking. Extremely dangerous! http://www.redbullcr...shedice.ca/video.php)
« Last Edit: February 07, 2008, 08:52 AM by PPLandry »

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #466 on: January 20, 2008, 05:50 PM »
I knew that the minute I added this option, someone would ask to be able to collapse the HTML section. It is more complicated, but of course feasible. Will do  :-[

well, of course, you don't have to... Maybe it's just me, but it just seems that the HTML text might "obfuscate" the outline, depending on how much there is...  :)

Trip was outstanding. City is beautiful, B&B was charming and the food was memorable (3 service breakfast and lunch at Le Saint-Amour, miam miam). Now fasting!

;D Good to here that!!!

PPLandry

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #467 on: January 20, 2008, 06:00 PM »
Remember that it is an option to show the HTML text in the export ... I updated the latest build with this new option (untested... hey this is sunday after all)

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #468 on: January 20, 2008, 06:54 PM »
It works well. The only thing that doesn't show are the images (I used your SQLNotes tutorial as a test document). But I still haven't tried it extensively, of course.  :)

PPLandry

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #469 on: January 20, 2008, 07:16 PM »
Images should show. They show when I try it...

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #470 on: January 20, 2008, 07:34 PM »
Hummmmm.... I'll check that out later.

PPLandry

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #471 on: January 20, 2008, 09:51 PM »
I'm now adding a (...) after the item text to toggle display of the HTML text

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #472 on: January 20, 2008, 10:44 PM »
Works very well. I like the "(...)". It's great, Pierre.  :Thmbsup:

And BTW, the images DO show. Sorry.  :-[
What happened is that they weren't fully downloaded in SQLNotes' database itself when I tried the HTML export.

PPLandry

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #473 on: January 20, 2008, 10:51 PM »
Glad you like it. Notice how the HTML content gets indented with the item (as items are deeper into the tree stucture)... I think it is a nice effect.

It isn't perfect though, if you've collapsed some items, collapsing and expanding will restore all items fully expanded  :(

BTW, expand/collapse does not work well in FF. If someone fluent in FF can fix my expand.js, it'd be great  :)

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #474 on: January 20, 2008, 11:07 PM »
Yes, it's nice.
Perfection will come with time! It's already a nice feature. I don't expect people to intensely work with their HTML export anyway...
As for your "expand.js" for FF, I wouldn't know. Anybody??