ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

SQLNotes...what is it exactly?

<< < (80/235) > >>

superboyac:
Does it have to flat for the pivots to read the information?
-superboyac (January 14, 2008, 10:47 AM)
--- End quote ---
No it doesn't need to be flat. Some explanation is required here. Items exist independant of the Hierarchy. I like to say that items are like individuals. The fact that you have parents or children does not change the fact that you are a person. The same in SQLNotes. To determine what the pivot table of a specific grid can see in terms of items, set hierarchy, context parents and save item states to Off. Those items are the only ones which "belong" to the grid. The rest were added to help you manage your information.

Pivot table/chart views will be possible later on. Right now, you need to open the grid first. So setting a new grid source to CourseGrade will do 2 things for you:
1- get you the grade
2- isolate the actual courses from the summary parents (semester, year, etc)

I hope this helps.
-PPLandry (January 14, 2008, 11:42 AM)
--- End quote ---
OK, this works.  But if you don't mind, let me argue this from an efficiency standpoint.  I would rather not have to create a new grid just for a pivot table if I don't have to.  Wouldn't it be better if i could take the columns from the existing transcript grid (including the parent items which do not have grades) and be able to use them in a pivot table?  Because in MS pivot tables, you can turn certain items on/off, so if some data doesn't apply, you don't have to have it show in the table.
When I made my pivot table using the existing transcript grid, I didn't get any of the items listed in the list like would normally appear in a pivot table in excel (see below):

That list should show a list of all the grades (A, A-, B+, etc...).  I'm just saying that it would be better and easier if I could create that pivot table without creating a new grid.  Sorry, what I meant was it would be easier if I didn't have to MODIFY the existing grid (because I can turn off the hierarchy, save states, context parents, like you said).

PPLandry:
>Wouldn't it be better if i could take the columns from the existing transcript grid (including the parent items which do not have grades) and be able to use them in a pivot table?

Yes columns are no problem, the issue here is which items to take?
---------------

Unfortunately, this is rather complicated. The pivot needs a data source.

One possibility, would be to create a pivot based on the selected items, however it would be complicated when users add items.

Another possibility would be to allow users to set the data source of the pivot (currently it is set automatically). I think that pivot table/chart views will help as far as this issue is concerned.

[edit] After thinking about it, I could use the current item list as a datasource. I'll see how this could work [/edit]

PPLandry:
I've modified my earlier post!

superboyac:
>Wouldn't it be better if i could take the columns from the existing transcript grid (including the parent items which do not have grades) and be able to use them in a pivot table?

Yes columns are no problem, the issue here is which items to take?
---------------

Unfortunately, this is rather complicated. The pivot needs a data source.

One possibility, would be to create a pivot based on the selected items, however it would be complicated when users add items.

Another possibility would be to allow users to set the data source of the pivot (currently it is set automatically). I think that pivot table/chart views will help as far as this issue is concerned.

[edit] After thinking about it, I could use the current item list as a datasource. I'll see how this could work [/edit]
-PPLandry (January 14, 2008, 12:55 PM)
--- End quote ---
I don't see why it's a problem.  Let's take my transcript grid again.  Why can't the pivot table just read all of the Items regardless of their position in the hierarchy (without having to adjust the display of the grid using the menu-->grid options)?  Furthermore, for the items that have no grades associated with it (year, semester) all you have to do is uncheck the "blank" box in the screenshot I showed above.  I guess I'm not understanding why it can't work this way.

PPLandry:
Checkout my edit at the bottom. I basically say that it is possible. It is actually an excellent idea.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version