ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

SQLNotes...what is it exactly?

<< < (69/235) > >>

Armando:
For the practice description, I made a new field instead of using the "Item" field so that I can use dropdown lists to choose between a handful of prenamed descriptions.  I can post a screenshot of it later (it's at home).
-superboyac (January 02, 2008, 11:20 AM)
--- End quote ---

Nice. I didn't even know you could do that. :-[

P.S. : Pierre : I just saw your post...

Armando:
Thanks for your message Pierre ! So you're on "holiday"s, hmmm?

If you've got 100's of fields, I'm not sure if it would be useful. Perhaps it would be better to select items and copy all item info (in XML format). Can you explain a bit more what you'd want?
-PPLandry (January 02, 2008, 11:33 AM)
--- End quote ---

You basically answered my question in a previous paragraph (and, you're right of course : it wouldn't be that useful if all fields were merged)!

PPLandry:
OK, here's what I settled on for the jazz practice sheet.  I'm going to use a flat structure, and I created two new fields, one for the practice description, and another for the time spent practicing.  So each line should look like this:
date, practice description, minutes, (and of course the html pane for comments)

For the practice description, I made a new field instead of using the "Item" field so that I can use dropdown lists to choose between a handful of prenamed descriptions.  I can post a screenshot of it later (it's at home).

The great thing about this method is that sometimes I will only practice one item a day, and other days I may practice multiple things, and this will be able to handle both easily because each line will have the date on it.  So if I practice 4 things, there will be 4 lines for that date.  No need for a hierarchy.  And the dropdown lists will assure consistency in the names.

I love this program, I really do.
-superboyac (January 02, 2008, 11:20 AM)
--- End quote ---

I'd recommend you start by creating a new grid, called JazzPractice, which will automatically create a folder (field) of the same name. All items you create there will be put in that folder and they'll conveniently be displayed in the grid (you may have done this, but just in case you didn't). You can later on apply a date filter using the DateFilter toolbar.

Your structure is both simple and powerful. With this structure, the pivot table/chart will be able to show you total time spent per day, week, month, per description, calculate the average practice duration, etc, as a summarizing table or chart. Export as a web page and link that page to a summary item HTML pane content.

I can see that you're really starting to grasp how to use SQLNotes to solve information management problems. It's great to see how you went from inquiring about it, to being totally confused, to seeing the possible use but not knowing how to go about it, to finally seeing the light and now flying on your own. Congratulations.  :Thmbsup: :Thmbsup: Perhaps you'll want to share it on / improve the SQLNotes wiki documentation (http://sqlnotes.wikispaces.com/)

A few thing you can add to ease the data entry
1- Set AutoAssign rules for the JazzPractice field to A:Date=int(now). This will automatically fill the date for you
2- You can do the same for the description field if most of the time, the same description comes up
3- You could use forms (with default values) to facilitate data entry (but in this case, a simple grid should suffice)

Special thanks to you, this thread has made it as #2 in the Best Software of 2007, thanks to your initiative!  :Thmbsup:
https://www.donationcoder.com/2007/index1.php

tomos:
I'd recommend you start by creating a new grid, called JazzPractice, which will automatically create a folder (field) of the same name. All items you create there will be put in that folder and they'll conveniently be displayed in the grid (you may have done this, but just in case you didn't). You can later on apply a date filter using the DateFilter toolbar.-PPLandry (January 02, 2008, 07:10 PM)
--- End quote ---
(my bold)
I just noticed that on creating a new grid yesterday
A Yes/No column was created with name of grid
Does that mean that everything you put in that grid could be shown (elsewhere/somewhere) as subitems of, in this case, the item JazzPractice?

when you say
All items you create there will be put in that folder and they'll conveniently be displayed in the grid
--- End quote ---
by "there" you mean -in that particular grid-? and by "they'll conveniently be displayed in the grid" are you stating the obvious or am I missing something (I dont mean that to sound smart!)

I'm still a bit confused by items/sub-items
When I went back to my billing grid after christmas the hierarchy seems to be different to what I expected and different to how I left it last..(they partying too maybe :-\)
It should be Project/item with sub-items of hours worked
but
at the moment I have 14 entries sub-items also showing as main items -
I think what happened was that yesterday they showed a main items so I dragged them "into" their correct parent item but now they showing twice -
if I delete one copy, they completely gone
in manage grids window context is turned off, hierarchy turned on - any tips?

Also Parent should be showing sum of items (for hours worked) but isn't anymore for this item - it's not important cause invoice is already sent but just trying to figure what I done wrong case I do it again :)

superboyac:
tomos, sounds like you're experiencing the same confusion I did initially.  Pierre should be able to clear things up.  Basically, you can display the items and subitems in a grid in a flat view if the option is checked (I forgot which option it is).  Sort of like how some file managers have an option to display subdirectory content in a flat view.  Pierre helped me out a lot with the telephone conversation.

I can see that you're really starting to grasp how to use SQLNotes to solve information management problems. It's great to see how you went from inquiring about it, to being totally confused, to seeing the possible use but not knowing how to go about it, to finally seeing the light and now flying on your own. Congratulations.  Thmbsup Thmbsup Perhaps you'll want to share it on / improve the SQLNotes wiki documentation (http://sqlnotes.wikispaces.com/)
--- End quote ---
Thanks Pierre.  Honestly, in the beginning, I would have had no idea that I would like the program this much.  I was very skeptical.  Now I realize that this is pretty much the notetaking/information management application that I was always waiting for when I first started looking a couple of years ago, which led to that huge notetaking thread and the review here.  You started a very ambitious project, and what's more remarkable is that you've actually been able to accomplish those intended goals.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version